Rinpun's Solo Project --- War of the Universe

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Picz!!! <3

darth-yoda

Reaction score
Those pics look awsome. I think that you(or RDZ(love his stuff btw :p )) should make a custom game interface, with a futureistic style. Cuz the one in your screeny(the Human one) Looks out of place cuz its all birck and castle looking. But I'v never made one so I dont know how hard they are to make.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
What a work ! Nice. These islands should be "planets" ? I just didn' t figure that out, but I guess they are. One cool futuristic interface could add just that little missing effect ( I suggest from starcraft just to rip off Terrain interface for humans and for aliens Protoss or Zergs :D And for extra spice add custom music from Unreal Tournament ( One d'n'b music what is really futuristic, from Two towers in space map, I don' t know its name :eek: ) overall 9/ 10 with these suggestions in game it would be 10/ 10 :D
EDIT: Map name is: CTF-FACE, Facing worlds, Cedric "Inoxx" Fiorentio
EDIT2: Now I uploaded this music to rapidshare so you all can dl it and listen and tell your opinion :D , right name was 28 - Foregone Destruction [Michiel van den Bos]
http://rapidshare.de/files/25900705/28_-_Foregone_Destruction__Michiel_van_den_Bos_.it.html

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
darth-yoda said:
Those pics look awsome. I think that you(or RDZ(love his stuff btw :p )) should make a custom game interface, with a futureistic style. Cuz the one in your screeny(the Human one) Looks out of place cuz its all birck and castle looking. But I'v never made one so I dont know how hard they are to make.

1) I am planning on making one. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I guess I should add that to the features as that IS on my list :p

2) They are very hard to make. I tried to make one and did alright...but there was black and stuff all over the screen. I'm going to give it another shot though.

I don't believe in ripping custom interfaces. They would look fuzzy and amateur due to the fact that it's an old game...and it would not be worth the bother, considering my artwork, if I put time into it, comes out pretty decent.

Thanks for the music. I don't know if I'd use it or not though, considering it takes a huge block out of the map space. Still, if I have room, I do wish to add a soundtrack as a finishing touch.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Small MP3s that are loopable shouldnt be an issue. You can make those as small as most models with a smaller bitrate than 192. Its game music, quality is nice, but its not the end of the world since you should be hearing all kinds of other explosions and such.

BTW, I have been watching your progress alot with this map. Its more than just piqued my interest. Hope things go mostly smoothly till the end.

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
This map looks like it will be awesome! Definatly something to look forward to.
You know where to find me for testing when it finally gets to that stage. ;)

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Alright, bumping to mention I've finally finished the carrier abilities. Took a ridiculous amount of time, but now I can start to work on other models of flagship and such...I haven't even made a shop that sells the different models yet! :p

Anyway, expect me to put a few screenshots of some of these abilities in action...they look very cool.

And thanks to phyrex1an! I had several problems when trying to make these abilities and he was able to figure out the problems (or allude to a solution that I could figure out) when I posted them in the JASS zone.

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
he is pretty good at that

emjlr3

Reaction score
hay Rin, where you been??

rofl

I'm a poet and I didn't even know it :shades:

H

hey its X

looks kewl so far, though i do think RDZ models look... a bit like walking or flying boxes sometimes. and you should get to the futuristic industrial UI soon.
:D

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
hey its X said:
looks kewl so far, though i do think RDZ models look... a bit like walking or flying boxes sometimes. and you should get to the futuristic industrial UI soon.
:D

That would be the old ones he made a really long time ago. Most of them are replaced now with new ones...meaning I need new screenshots :p

And no, I will not get to the industrial UI "soon". UIs take so much work, thanks to how Blizzard made them -_-

Anyway, I will be updating soon with the screenshots for the Carrier's abilities, like I promised a long time ago. Took me a long time, since I'm preparing for some retreats and stuff.

Update

I now have the splash pic up for the Carrier. I'm currently now working on an Assault Flagship model as well. I made the mesh in Lightwave, but then I gave it to RDZ who took it in Milkshape and is now prepping it up with UV Wrapping, Animation, and Mesh clean-up, once again reinforcing the idea of the artwork being 30% me and 70% him.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Alright, this is also a bump-up of this map, but I am interested in what your opinions are on this:

At the moment, there are four humans and a computer on each side facing each other. I originally made it this way because it would avoid the least amount of lag (with all the flagships and extra custom buildings around), and I can then use these two extra player slots for more in depth rogue movements (such as rogues that would fight and ally each other besides bothering you and your planet conquering motives).

If I make it 5 human players and a computer on each side, then there won't be any free player slots left and the rogues won't matter as much. It could be more fun though.

So, should I make it so that there are 5 human players competing against each other?

Please give me your opinion and feedback :)

On another note, there is room for a fifth player. Thinking ahead, I have an extra planet squeezed on both sides that are currently neutral. So I can add a player by just booting off the neutrals and making it match with an empire :p

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
You could make it 5 Human Players and Comp on each side. then use the Neutral Extra and Neutral Victim to make more things for players to deal with. Always have the stationary creeps as well.

**Edit: Also, ever thought about neutral random events that can be bane/boom for the players? Make it an additional mode if possible for purist.

emjlr3

Reaction score
im excited, cant wait for a beta test

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Effane said:
You could make it 5 Human Players and Comp on each side. then use the Neutral Extra and Neutral Victim to make more things for players to deal with. Always have the stationary creeps as well.

**Edit: Also, ever thought about neutral random events that can be bane/boom for the players? Make it an additional mode if possible for purist.

I already have stationary creeps. You have to fight em to capture the planets.

Yes, I've already considered that and I want to do it if I can sooner or later. The idea is to create a rogue system where rogues will single out and assault planets you have captured. That way, while you face the human players and a computer in order to win, you will be struggling against those rogues that keep popping up and stealing back their planets.

But, that is the question I'm posing to all of the fans here. At the moment it's four human players and a computer on each side. I'm wondering if it would be better to have five human players and a computer on each side instead.

emjlr3

Reaction score
4 sounds fine, why again, unless i missed it, would u want to move up to 5, except for the reasion that you have just enough space for it

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Just to allow more people to play and have an awesome time :p

Anyways, I thought it would be worth mentioning to you guys that I have a draft of a site now FTPed up to a server. Basically, click on the link to War of the Universe site in my link and check it out. I'll probably start updating my progress (listing the features) on the site only, but I will update my little percentage counter and keep the game summary up, just so people who haven't heard of this project can get interested without having to go to the site.

Do be warned though, it is a draft only, and only the simple version works (the fancy version might use flash or something in the future to make a smooth site). Also, in the simple version, the Download page, while keeping a very up-to-date page of features thus far, will have "Some link" one through three just sitting there under the Download section. Once I have something to download, expect the download page to not look under construction.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
The website is a good start, its almost functional for a good map site. Dont worry too much about updating that site though. Keep up the good work on your project.

If adding a 5th player only allows you just to have another player and doesnt add anything to the value for strategy then dont do it. No sense in the extra work for little gain, when it could be used plenty of other places. DONT BE A VICTIM OF FEATURE CREEP :p

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
You could have it so the host can decide either way, also. Just have the 2 extra slots on each side as if they were 5-player teams, and then, if the 2 extra slots have computers in them instead, then the advanced rouge system would come into effect. You could even have it so, if the comp is set to hard, the attacks and such come more often and with greater force, and less often and withh less force if set to easy.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't/couldn't (either :p) be done. Good suggestion, but I have a planet capturing system and deleting all of the doodads that represent the planet having a civilization with wilderness doodads and a central tower to capture to own the planet is complicated and doesn't fit with my current trigger system. Thus, it's either going to be 6v6 (1 comp and 5 to each side) or 5v5 (1 comp and 4 to each side).

Either way, I like the idea of setting the computer's easy/normal/hard setting to determine how smart the rogues are. I'll probably not do the same thing with the computer civilization of course, though I wonder if it would be a unique idea to make the difficulty of the central computer civilizations determine how many units they spawn every so often.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.