Router Dead?

CrazyImpling

Reaction score
My router is an Actiontec Wireless ready gateway, version: R1524SU. The INTERNET light will go on and stay solid confirming I have internet connection, but then when you try to load a page you get an error: server not found. This problem started yesterday when I had to move my router around so I could plug my 3rd computer into it.

It was working fine earlier, but now I just can't seem to connect. Is it a problem with it not being able to recognize my host or something? Not 100% sure but I think my host is blackhole. Anyways, thanks in advance.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
My router is an Actiontec Wireless ready gateway, version: R1524SU. The INTERNET light will go on and stay solid confirming I have internet connection, but then when you try to load a page you get an error: server not found. This problem started yesterday when I had to move my router around so I could plug my 3rd computer into it.

It was working fine earlier, but now I just can't seem to connect. Is it a problem with it not being able to recognize my host or something? Not 100% sure but I think my host is blackhole. Anyways, thanks in advance.

Try loading this page and to check whether a connection can be established or not (that IP is [noparse]www.whatismyipaddress.com[/noparse]):
http://70.183.59.6/

Then, from your PC, please post the output of "ipconfig /all", run from a command prompt. If there's a DNS server entry and it points to the router, next step would be inspecting that one.

CrazyImpling

Reaction score
Alright, had a bit of a issue getting it to reconnect to Dial-Up after plugging in DSL to test it out. Anyways my ipconfig is like this:

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Emachine
        Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
        WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-6E-29-3F
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.136
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.185.192.1

Also, it could not connect to that website.

enouwee

Reaction score
Alright, had a bit of a issue getting it to reconnect to Dial-Up after plugging in DSL to test it out. Anyways my ipconfig is like this:

Code:
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.185.192.1

Did the http://70.183.59.6/ link work or not? I guess not, as the name resolution would be fine too.

The DNS servers are up and working as of this writing, so the problem comes either from your PC (are the other ones able to browse the internet or not?) or the router.

From your PC, try to send a few packets to the router:
Code:
ping 192.168.0.1

If you don't get any answer (but can ping the other PCs connected to the network), the router is either broken or changed its IP address. To "recover" it, try changing your network settings from manual (static IP) to DHCP and take a look at the output of ipconfig. Another solution could be resetting the router to its factory defaults and read the configuration from the manual.

Is the "hardware" firewall on your mainboard activated? IIRC some Nvidia chipsets feature an integrated firewall.

CrazyImpling

Reaction score
None of the three computers on my network can access the internet VIA router.
I can ping my router, 3ms max.

enouwee

Reaction score
None of the three computers on my network can access the internet VIA router.
I can ping my router, 3ms max.

Great, so it's not broken.

Take a loot at its admin interface and check the status of the internet connection or the logs. You should find some clues.

If you remove some cables, did you plug them correctly?

CrazyImpling

Reaction score
Anything specific I should look for? WAN is in disconnected, the logs are empty, DSL status is inactive...

enouwee

Reaction score
Anything specific I should look for? WAN is in disconnected, the logs are empty, DSL status is inactive...

Yes, WAN/DSL :p

If you disconnected the router from the phone line or splitter, plug the cable and try to figure out what's wrong using the status screen and the logs.

Try to make the router manually connect if it doesn't do so all by itself.

CrazyImpling

Reaction score
Plugged it in again, WAN didn't go active and the logs are still empty, still can't connect to anything.

enouwee

Reaction score
Plugged it in again, WAN didn't go active and the logs are still empty, still can't connect to anything.

Is the Internet LED active, as before?

You have a very detailed step-by-step guide in the manual. Check that:
  • your cabling is correct (until the Internet LED is lid) and that you chose PPPoE or PPPoA, depending what your ISP told you
  • the login and password are the one provided by your ISP

Normal cable connection:
phone line -> splitter
splitter -> router / splitter -> phone

CrazyImpling

Reaction score
This is going to sound dumb, but I don't know where my manual is, my dad has a very messy desk. =X Anywho, if its all just the password stuff, I'll wait until my dad needs to use the email, then he can fix it.. Oh well, guess I'll have to use dial up for a week. Thanks for your help.

enouwee

Reaction score

CrazyImpling

Reaction score
Mine is layed out exactly like that one, I'm guessing I just need the account, password, and static IP? Anywho's I guess that is all. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.