Single player rpg idea!

Tenrai

Reaction score
hi i have an idea for a single player rpg for wc3. Where you control 3 or 4 cahracter by yourselfe. Would this work or would i need to make a kind of ai system for the other then the main character. What do you think?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Depends on how it worked. More detail would be helpful.

Heresme

Reaction score
Nah, A.I's are rediculously hard to do, even for RPG's. It would be better for one person or to control the heroes, have it multiplayer, or have the other heroes computer owned with full shared unit control. I'm fairly sure in that situation the other heroes would cast spells without controlling them.

I could be wrong with that last one.

Tenrai

Reaction score
well, my idea was that you begin with one hero, the main character and aquire the others as the story progresses.
my worries is that it will be hard to manedge alla characters during hard boss fights. anyway to solve this? maybe using hotkeys?

Or i anyone knows a way to create an ia system for the other characters, that still lets you manage thier inventory.

Varine

Reaction score
Well it depends on what he's doing. Just because AI is hard doesn't mean he should just totally avoid it, that's why these forums are here. If he made tem AI units, then they would run off and do whatever they wanted to, without following a real form of structure, and generally the computer AI sucks.

You could look into some sort of turn based fighting system or something, or write AI where they follow the currently selected hero to avoid them running off. Just depends on the style and pace you want to work with. And if you have multiple units selected, tab switches between them. You could also make like a hotswap system where you set the abilities, and when one is activated it changes you to a different hero. Might be a little hard to trigger, not sure, but I'm sure it's possible.

Tenrai

Reaction score
maybe i could create hotkeys for casting spells from units that are not selected? could that wor, and how?

Varine

Reaction score
Well how are the boss fights going to take place?

What you could do is make a global dummy unit that all of the heroes would follow, keeping them in line, and give it dummy abilities (tier the ability thing so that you can switch between what hero's abilities you're using) that are triggered to order that hero to use that ability, or just do something like I said and make a hotswap system where you can click and transfer to the different hero you want to use.

There are a lot of different ways you can go about it, just depends on what you want to do.

Tenrai

Reaction score
But then again. could you explain the hptswap system a little better and how to do it.

or maybe i could use only one costumizable hero for the story. how does that sound?

Varine

Reaction score
Whatever you want man, it's your game.

What I mean by hotswap is like an series of abilities that when you click, it will change what unit you have control of. So if you got four heroes, then you would have three different abilities for each hero, each one would make it so you take control of a different one. So if you have Hero 1, it would have abilities in the command window where the attack, move, defend, and all of those are, to change to Heroes 2, 3, and 4, and then each one had those and you could quickly jump between them.

How far along are you with the map by the way? Have you started or is it just an idea?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.