Strange motherboard issue.. i think.

Rep7a

Reaction score
Before i explain my problem let me state that i'm not as tech savy as many of you are so i may be wrong with my diagnosis of the problem.

A few days ago, i wokeup and woke my computer from sleep mode (it had been 8 or so hours as i fell asleep with the machine on). It acted normal at first until i ran a program, the whole pc then froze. So naturaly i hit my power button and restarted it. Though upon restart i noticed nothing was being displayed on my monitor, i reset a few times and the same problem. I later noticed my keyboard wasn't getting power either, nor were my usbs, or my ethernet cable (The usual green light wasn't on). I assumed my motherboard was messed up so i opened my case and turned the pc on. I saw that the fan on the mobo was working, and so was my graphic card. I tried removing the graphics card and using a non usb keyboard and mouse to no effect. None of it was recieving power. Does anyone know what this problem is?

Monovertex

Formerly Smith_S9
Reaction score
First of all, is your computer in warranty? If yes, take it to the warranty provider, otherwise you might void the warranty or do undesirable damage.

To me it seems that the motherboard may have went down, but you have to eliminate all the other possible faulty components first. However, before this, you should attempt a simple BIOS reset. Although it may not solve it, if it does it'll save you a lot of hassle. Check up the manual of your motherboard (on the Internet or the physical one, if you still have it; if you don't know what your motherboard is, it's code or name is usually written on it.

If this fails, first remove DVD/CD drives and any HDDs. You should get a graphics card and a RAM stick which you know that are working (from another computer which has no issues. Make sure that they are compatible with your motherboard (for the graphics card, if yours is PCI-E, the other one has to be PCI-E, for example and the RAM should be the same type (DDR2, DDR3) and frequency as yours. If should test with a single stick, or with a pair of RAM sticks, if your current setup is in dual-channel (or even triple-channel). If the computer still fails to display anything, it's probably the motherboard (the CPU rarely fails, but it can be that too). At this point you have to test the CPU on a compatible motherboard to eliminate it from the list of possible faulty components. However, this part can be a little trickier (because you might not have a compatible board available) so I suggest you to contact a computers service at this point. They usually have lots of parts so they can test the mobo and see if it's fried.

If the computer does work with this new setup, either one of your RAM sticks is faulty, or one of the sticks was not inserted properly, or the slots were dusted and the connection was not made properly, or the graphics card is fried or not inserted properly or fried. Just test each of them in another computer and decide which of this situations happened.

Note: When working with the insides of a computer, leave it plugged in a grounded socket and connect yourself to the case of the computer (something like just touching the case at all times will do). There are tutorials on how to work with the components of a computer without damaging them on the Internet, so make sure you are documented in that area before touching anything inside your computer.

Note that I didn't take the PSU into account, because you said that the CPU fan is working, so the computer does get power.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.