Super Mario project-Ideas!

zylack

Reaction score
Well yesterday i brought out my dusty old nintendo and started playing mario...dont ask me why...but then i thought why not make a wc game like it?
maybe its been done before, but im aiming to make it very much like mario.

Gameplay elements (what im working on now)
-2d- well sorta, but im designing the levels in rows across the map, and you can only move left or right. (they are abilities cuase arrow keys are laggy in game)

-Jumping/box breaking-after a few hours last night i worked out jumping/breaking boxes

-SHROOMS-of course...shrooms...just like in real mario.

-Enemies-well goombas were pretty easy to make but i've only spent a few hours on it and im trying to work out turtles. I dont even know if theres a model for this, havent searched yet. I want it so you can jump on them, have them turn into a shell and move fastly in the opposite direction killing everything in thier path and bouncing back if they hit something. Theres gotta be a way but i havent spent a lot of time on that yet. Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be nice.

-When your on top of a pipe you gain an ability that when used will make you sink into the tube making it look like you went into it.

-Stars! yay! invinsible mario...unless you fall or w/e

-Fixed cams of course, makes it look more 2d.

Were im at now (2 hours of work on it as of now)
Im only a few hours into the making so im completely open to ideas/comments/suggestions. Right now im just working out mario and his enemies. I know this kinda contradicts typical mapping (doing triggers first) but i'm trying to figure out if some of these things are possible, and after workin a bit i've found, yup, they are possible.

I dont even have a story line yet just so you know. I havent even worked out how this will be played in multiplayer, but i do plan it to have 2 modes, single and multiplayer, so you can play solo if you want to.

If this has already been done then i'll just call it quits cuase ive only spent 2 hours learning about triggers i dont usually use, so either way i gain somethin :D

Help spots:
-triggers (open for help/ideas)
-Gameplay ideas
-Terrainer-(none)
-storyline (id liek to work on this after i get gameplay)
-how shud multiplayer work??
-oh yea, any kinda mario sounds :p

S

SlasherXpert

I have a couple of mario sounds and I could help with testing and maybe some triggers (But not advanced stuff and no jass)

R

RomanKing

I can help with testing but thats about it becuase I am helping so many other people

zylack

Reaction score
k ty.It will probably be a little while b4 i can get it sorted out.anyone got any ideas for gameplay?

W

Wyvernoid

Hello^^
In fact... I'm not sure about your project, 'cause a game like mario needs fast key recognizing(like, you press jump, and then left and right, the mario will do a perfect curve in the air) which WC3 is lack of. Also there're some other problems(like... how do you make a pit?).
So, my suggestion is that you open up your mind and create a 3D Mario. Sounds impossible? Well telephone and computer sounded impossible at first too ;-)

zylack

Reaction score
well i only wanted to make a 2d mario cuase im pretty sure its never been done.

easy-its on a hill, fixed cameras so it looks kinda like a pit, using the tileset abyss (all black there) when u hit the jump key, it will simply set a bolean variable to true and when you enter that region it will check that var.

if its false, and you didnt jump at the time, (your a flying unit so u can walk over these ledges) you are lowered out of sight of the camera and die.

I only suggested a 2d version cuase its never been done, and its just a side project from me, im learning a bit from it :p

[edit] I havent had 2 many problems with jumping l8tely. Give me a day or 2 and i'll show you guys what ive got so far.

WarLuvr3393

Hmmm...too many things to play (WoW, COD4, WC3)
Reaction score
Well I have an idea, it's from Mario Party and I thought it could be of use in the map.

Part 1: In the Bowser fight, all the players are teleported into his room. He will then start to blow fire and players have to jump to dodge. Then items will appear and players have to drop the "cannonball" in front of the mortar team to attack him.

Part 2: Bowser gets up and he starts patrolling around a square platform. Lava surrounds the platform killing any player who touches it. The players have to not get trampled by Bowser in order to allow the super mortar to prepare his cannon to attack him.

Part 3: Bowser teleports everyone to long hall at opposite ends. Bowsers last stand. He shoots embers of fire (burning wisps) down the hall and the players have to dodge them. As soon as they get to him, they flip a switch which finally explodes Bowser.

Yay Bowser is dead!

K

KeeperofKeys

I would like to see the old variety of Bowser Bashing, where you dodged him on a bridge and hit an axe to drop him into the lava. Maybe you could make a special region for that?

S

SlasherXpert

lol that'd be nice! and then have the toad going "Thank you Mario! But the princess is in another castle!"
Waiting for preview to see what it looks like.

Lobster

Old Fogey ofthe site
Reaction score
Question; Do you mean the super mario world for SNES? Cause that game was fun. Or did you mean a different mario 2D

S

SlasherXpert

I think he meant Super Mario (1) from NES.
But yeah I loved the SNES Super Mario World, My fav mario game:)

O

OmgWtfBacon

I played that game too much. I thought that was the easieat mario game. Super Mario 3 I thought just got boring. The first one was cool. The second one wasnt REALLY a mario game lol. Mario 64 was the BEST game I think so far. Mario Sunshine was nice too, but not as nice as 64. I'd trade them all to race someone who is actually GOOD in Diddy Kong Racing though... :p

zylack

Reaction score
im tryin to base if off the old nes version. And yes, bowser will be there.

Q: should the story be kinda like in mario? or something different?

I've got the first level done and tommorow it will probably be playable and ill be able to post it.

nice ideas, i'd like to have a few bowser levels were u fight him oldstyle and a few with something like what WarLuvr3393 said.

S

SlasherXpert

I say stick to the mario storyline.
I can't wait to try it out!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Tonks

Reaction score
I'd like to be a tester, if there's room left :D
There is a way to make the jump / move so you curve nicely in the air.
TheZizz has a very nice jump trigger in Uther Party for RoC. I do not think his triggers are protected, which I think ops them open for loaning, but not stealing. ;)
Also, how about a car scenario? I vaguely remember mario being in some kind of car and driving down a forest lane while things kept flying across the path (Boulders, branches, bushes, trees.. lol) If you put that in you could use the Bramble doodad model for a unit that comes out and if it hits you your screen goes black for several seconds or something. Boulders kill you, branches damage you like 1/3rd and trees dmg you 3/4ths..
Just an idea :)
Sounds like a good map, in any case :D

S

SlasherXpert

I think you should stick with the good ol' Mario NES 8-bit and I think that was from wario land.

Hopefully you'l have a map to show us soon:)

S

SlasherXpert

We need those things that doctors use to reanimate ppl...
COME BACK TO LIFE THREAD!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.