TD balencing

Rammstein56

Reaction score
Im trying to fiqure out a good way to balence my towers in my TD right now, so far i only got a few waves and the towers, but they arent very balenced i dont think. Anyone wana offer any advice or tutorials for balencing them :thup:

Attachments

• My Tower Defence Map.w3x
    26 KB · Views: 514

Onnings

Reaction score
Guess you could do it with some basic maths. Depending on your maze, you could calculate each tower's relative effectiveness based on their DPS. For instance, a tower with 700 range dealing 100 damage per shot with a 1 second delay, would be able to fire 8 shots on a unit with 200 speed moving past it (1st shot - in range (700) - second shot (500) - third shot (300) - fourth shot (100) fifth shot (-100) - sixth shot (-300) - seventh shot (-500) - eight shot, leaving range (-700)), dealing a total of 800 damage. If your first wave of monsters has, say, 2000 health, no armor and no special reduction from your towers attack, you know you'll need 2 1/2 towers to kill the mob in one pass.

Your map probably unleashes more than one mob per wave though, which causes your tower to fire constantly at progressing targets, not just the 8 shots on one mob. If your 10-mob wave spawns each unit with a 1 second intervall, each unit will have 200 range between each other. For your tower to deal maximum damage on one mob (800), it needed a full 1400 range, something which leaves the 2000 range between spawns plus the towers range of 700 minus the first target range of 1400 = 1300 range. 1300 gives time for one less shot, which means your tower now deals 1500 damage total over the entire wave.

10 mobs with 2000 health = 20.000 hitpoints.
20.000 hp divided on 1500 damage = 13.3.

The damage of 13.3 towers is needed to deal enough damage to kill off the entire wave of mobs. Of course, you'll need a little leeway, as some towers target 'dying' mobs, and pathing might break the theoretical shot efficiency, so let's say 15 towers is needed. Give the player enough money to cover for those 15 towers, and the first round will be based around him placing the towers properly.

The maze layout can greatly affect the tower efficiency, though. If you have a lot of corners and bends that allows your towers to fire for extended periods of time, you might want to add this into your maths, otherwise you'll be giving the players far too much gold.

More difficult factors to calculate are special abilities, but i'll give a few examples.

Random stun proc. Let's say one of your towers have a 10% chance to stun a mob for 5 seconds. This basically gives the tower (10% of 5seconds =0.5sec) more time to fire at its target overall, something which allows it a theoretical half-shot more. This increases its potential damage by 50 due to the extra time it can shoot at its target.

Slowing effects. Slow poison and its ilk also extends the time the tower can fire, just like the stun proc, only that this requires less math since it's permanent. Let's say your tower has a slow poison that reduces movement speed by 50%. This reduces the mob's move to 100, which DOUBLES your tower's theoretical damage against the mob. One thing to remember though - while the slow poison slows the target getting fired upon, it does NOT slow the rest of the mobs - the 2700 effective firing move distance your tower has will in other words be consumed by one mob instead of several, so the damage isn't actually increased - it's simply focused on one target instead of spread between several. Still, it gives your group of towers more time to focus fire targets down, so it's still worth a little extra - it's up to you to decide the value of it based on how much of an impact it'll have in your map.

Exotic abilities like Starfall or Lightning Shield or any other non-direct-damage based ability should be priced and balanced based on a calculation of it optimal damage against a theoretical average of targets. Let's use Lightning shield as an example - Lasting for 5 seconds, it'll damage all the targets around its primary target within a 250 distance for 100 per second. Since there's a 1 second delay between each mob in the wave, your Lightning Shield would be hitting two mobs tops - the one in front of and the one behnd the shield target, something which would result in (100 x 5 seconds x 2 targets) 1000 damage in total, or 200 damage per second.

Tower upgrades should be calculated based on how you've made it, really. If it's a pure increaes in power, simply calculate the increased DPS and compare it to how much damage it'd do to the wave it'd realistically be used in.

Anyhow, basically:

Total health of wave divided on a tower's potential damage plus abilities = towers needed for wave.

Base the player income (bounty from mobs or triggered money infusions) on how much he'd need, but depending on your map layout or how you want your map to be, set the ammount a little above the optimal number needed.

A good way to balance how strong your towers should be, is to figure out how fast the various towers should be able to kill each mob in the selected wave, and move from there. Do you want two towers to kill a mob in 9 total hits? Make sure his health doesn't exceed their 9-hit damage. Want your 10-mob wave to have 100.000 hp, but unsure how much damage your towers should be doing? Divide the number of HP on mobs, then further divide it on the ammount of towers a player should theoretically have at that stage, further divided on the ammount of shots the tower should be able to get in. Eg.

100.000 / 10 = 10.000. 10.000 / 15 towers = 666.6. 666.6 / 15 shots = 44.4 DPS.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.