Terrain from Map

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Hey I'm trying to make some terrain based off of a map that I have, does anyone know if there is a way to make the map appear in the editor so that I can make this easier to do? Or like a heightmap tool?

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
do you want two maps to appear at the same time? no you can't do that...
have to use windows menu in your editor to switch between maps!

Varine

Reaction score
What? No that isn't what I mean. Like I have a heightmap of the terrain that I'm trying to make. Is there a way to use that for the terrain data or something so that I have the layout in the WE instead of forming it all by eye by looking between the two?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
you can export the data of a map, you can export the specific datas individually like terrain, object editor, triggers, units, abilitys, etc.

or you can just open the terrain layer, mark the whole map, copy and paste it into the other map of yours.

Varine

Reaction score
NO! It's not a map already made in the editor, from here on I will call any maps as in a playable modification to the game a 'mod' like they should be. I have an actual map, like what you used back before the GPS came out even though it didn't help when you didn't know where you were. Those kinds of things, like it denotes the borders between the states, has markers for cities, and a it's blue where the water is and green where the land is.

Now in this mod, I want to use that map for the terrain. I can turn it into a heightmap fairly easily, so is there a way to convert an image heightmap into a terrain for the mod?

Varine

Reaction score
Oh my god no. I want to make a quick Elder Scrolls game because I have a few models for it so I want to make Tamriel as the terrain. I have a map of Tamriel, and I don't want to divide it into a grid and form it by hand, I want to turn it into a heightmap and just import that so that I don't need to make it all by hand. But Avaleirra said he'll do it for me eventually so it's all good now since I still have to animate them and figure out how to make the file size smaller.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score
Oh my god no. I want to make a quick Elder Scrolls game because I have a few models for it so I want to make Tamriel as the terrain. I have a map of Tamriel, and I don't want to divide it into a grid and form it by hand, I want to turn it into a heightmap and just import that so that I don't need to make it all by hand. But Avaleirra said he'll do it for me eventually so it's all good now since I still have to animate them and figure out how to make the file size smaller.

Okie Dokie, Avaleirra is your solution now. weeeeee

baaabuuu

Reaction score
i hope it helps.

here is how to do
Load Map
Terrain Pallet
Ctrl + A
Ctrl + C
Load Your map
Ctrl + V
Place in empty Area
Export your doodads
Import to your Map
Load the other Map again
Doodad Pallet
Ctrl + A
Ctrl + C
Load Your Map
Ctrl + V
and here you go hope this helped:D

Varine

Reaction score
Why is everyone telling me the same thing? I don't get how my last explanation could have left any cause for further confusion.

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
I'm afraid not.
Warcraft isn't THAT advanced. (Not that heightmaps are advanced, but...)
Better get started.:D

Varine

Reaction score
Actually I found a way to do it, but it doesn't factor in water or cliffs unfortunately, just changes the level using noise modifiers. But... like I said Avaleirra is doing it for me so I can focus on the things I don't get pissed off with. Like animating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.