Tooltip Text Limit?

Madoka

Reaction score
In making my own custom items, I came across this problem: The extended tooltip describing the item had a text limit of approximately 435 characters inclusive of spaces, colour codes, etc.

You could type in a much longer description or add more colour variations in the editor but when running the map, the actual tooltip displayed would always appear chopped off at the 435 character mark.

Is there a way to overcome the text limit in tooltips so that you can have long flavour text like those in the description of Dota heroes?

EDIT: This arbitrary limit seems to apply to item extended tooltips exclusively. When I created a custom hero tavern and added some test heroes to see the tooltip for purchasing them, the extended tooltip for hero purchase was able to display the maximum 1024 characters hardcoded into Warcraft 3. No wonder Dota can have such long flavour text... =(

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
Enter the code, then write text between it, you don't have to use the code between each character.

Example : |cffffThis a text|r

Madoka

Reaction score
Enter the code, then write text between it, you don't have to use the code between each character.

I might be new, but I know what I'm doing! :p

I'm already doing that... I hope you didn't think I was using colour codes for every single character...

What I mean by colour variation is something like a line of green text with gold numbers; this will require a lot of colour coding without resetting to white.

Genyuumaru

Reaction score

Worst suggestion ever :thdown:

Edit: Ontopic - I think you can't brake the limit as it's in the game itself, not just the map.

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
Actually, the maximum length of any string including tool tips is 1023.
There is no way to overcome this, not even with string merging.
However, tool tips should be short and simple.
If I play a game and its about reading and reading exit the game.

I don't care what the historical data is of the spell, what I want to know is what it does, how much damage it causes, and the range.

Optional values are dps, recharge time, etc.

Edit:
And for those who want to know why its 1023, its a string plus a null character.
If you guys have any experience with other programming languages it should be clear.
"This is my string\0"
The null character's length is 1 + 1023 is the maximum length a string can go in WC3.

Madoka

Reaction score
Actually, the maximum length of any string including tool tips is 1023.

Yes, I am aware of the 1024 length limit. :thup:

What I am pointing out is the fact that certain text fields may have an arbitrary limit smaller than the absolute 1024 limit... one of which is the extended tooltip field for items. :(

An analogy would be: The maximum movement speed for all units in game is 522 but suppose if a unit has ward classification, the fastest speed it can move at becomes 322. (just a conjecture, I'm not saying this is the case)

I would like to be able to use the full 1024 length in my item descriptions (mostly for flavour text which is not required for gameplay); as of now, the limit for item tooltips seems to be 435 characters inclusive of spaces and colour codes.

1024 is plenty... I don't think I will need more than that; so if anyone has experience or knows how to do it or if it is possible at all, I will be very grateful.

Until then, I will have to scrap the idea of flavour text or push it all to the quest log... :(

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
There is a distinct difference between the World Editors limits and the games.
I don't know much about the object editor, in this case tool tips. But if you say that Dota Heroes has longer tool tips then you can make I think it is possible by editing the .w3s in your map.

This is either achievable by a "Tool Tip Creator" which I've seen around this forums, or just doing it manually.

But the Wc3 Tool tip creator seems to be pretty good, perhaps with that you can exceed the editors limits.
However, I don't know what the end results are if it isn't possible that way.
Perhaps the game crashes on click, load. Or when you hover over the tool tip item.

You can give it a try.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.