Trying to circumvent damage reduction cap by armor

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
In my map it is possible to get a ridiculous amount of armor. And since armor decreases incoming physical damage this causes a problem. I have set the "armor damage reduction multiplier" in the gameplay constants to 0.01. However even simple items can net you around 275 armor, reducing the damage taken by a whooping 75%.

With magical items the total armor can skyrocket to a total amount of around 500 which will give you around 95% damage reduction.

Even though I like high damage reduction, 95% is a tad too much. And since I cannot customize the damage reduction multiplier further than setting it to 0.01, I have tried to fix it my own way. I would like your take on it.

The heroes in the map have normal armor and has normal attacks. That also used to be the case for the enemies. Due to the problems described above I change the enemies to have medium armor instead. Now.
Normal attack deals 200% damage to normal armor (enemies deal 200% damage to players)
Normal attack deals 100% damage to medium armor (players deal 100% damage to enemies)

If a player equipped only with basic items, and thus 275 armor, has 75% damage reduction he will now only have a real damage reduction of 50%.

What do you think of this way to circumvent the normal damage reduction?

NeosDany

Reaction score
I would like it with variables and triggers. Warcraft defense system doesn't like to me. Also you can do it with an invisible ability. That is what I think.

afisakov

Reaction score
umm, have you considered decreasing the armor the items give to prevent it from being so overwhelming?
Also if 275 armor gives 75% damage reduction then 500 would give around 85% reduction, not 95%. Achieving 95% reduction with armor values set to 0.01 would require 1900 armor.

Your armor type system should work to increase damage enemies do to heroes. An additional take on it might by to create a boss attack type, perhaps based on hero, that deals 500% damage to hero armor to make bosses harder without having to inflate their attack numbers.
Saw several rpgs already that give bosses specialized attack and armor type for this reason.

P.S. if you recently changed the armor dmg reduction make sure to test map for balance because this may have caused certain enemies to die too easily now.

Solu9

Reaction score
I can't believe that I overlooked the simple fact that I can just use different attack types the harder the enemies get... what a brain crash. But hey I'll just do that :)

Bonus question:

Unit A: Has normal defense type and has 75% damage reduction from normal damage, which does 100% damage to normal defense.

Unit B: An enemy attacks with the type, magic attack which does 200% damage to normal defense.

If unit B does 100 damage to unit A will unit A take 50 damage?

P.S. if you recently changed the armor dmg reduction make sure to test map for balance because this may have caused certain enemies to die too easily now.

No problem. Im still in the idea phase :)

afisakov

Reaction score
75% reduction means 25% taken
25%*100*200% gives 50 so yes that should be correct.
Instead of giving them all different attack types why not just scale up the attack damage? You can make their attack power proportional to unit level squared to keep up with the fact that armor and health both rise with level.
Other options include giving all the enemies critical strike, 100% 2x damage, 100% 5x damage etc. though the damage it displays on activation is before armor.
This way you can reserve the custom armor/attack types for only special enemies, like bosses or elites since there are a limited number of these built into the game.

thorhunter

Reaction score
You can add skills/upgrades with negative armor values over time. You can also initially decrease the armor of an unit below 0.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.