Use when only out of combat?

eric92

Reaction score
How do I make it so that if my hero is out of combat he can use an item to heal like a food item mabye, but only if the hero is out of combat.

drak_dragon

Reaction score
im not certian if you can do anything like that specifically out of combat or error - but, you might be able to base your item off Clarity Potion, which cancels when entering combat?

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
Isn't that the healing salve's mechanics? I think you should just base it off the Healing Salve skill...

eric92

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys I never thought of that. Ill use the clarity potion. It wont be perfect but its gona have to do. The only problame is I think people might be cheap in pvp combat and do a stun attack, then use the item to pull off a cheap heal. But I guess it will be ok since you could just do the same thing right back to them by buying the right rune from a store if u dont got a stun spell.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
u could maybe do what they did in dota for "Kalen's Dagger of Escape" or watever the blink dagger is called. um its like a dummy item, that whenever the hero is attacked by a hero it becomes replaced with the dummy item that is unusable, and after 3 seconds it returns to its normal form that is castable again.

this wouldn't be to hard i think. but this might not be what you are trying to do.

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys I never thought of that. Ill use the clarity potion. It wont be perfect but its gona have to do. The only problame is I think people might be cheap in pvp combat and do a stun attack, then use the item to pull off a cheap heal. But I guess it will be ok since you could just do the same thing right back to them by buying the right rune from a store if u dont got a stun spell.

You could use the clarity potion style AND add triggers that disables the usage of the item for a while after the hero being damaged. This way, it has to be some time both before and after the hero uses the item that it is not being damaged!

But these have to be quite complicated triggers, then I think you should need dummy units for using the item. The bad thing is that there is no way to detect the usage of an item as an order in the trigger editor, correct me if I am wrong.

But you could do it like this! Adding Ancient classification to all units recieving damage, and making the healing item target Non-Ancients

Trigger:
  • Item1
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set TempPoint = (Position of (Attacked unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 DUMMY for Neutral Hostile at TempPoint facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add DUMMY BUFF SPELL to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add a 5.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to CAST DUMMY BUFF SPELL

Trigger:
  • Item2
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • ((Casting unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Target unit of ability being cast))) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Set TempPoint = (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Unit - Create 1 DUMMY for Neutral Hostile at TempPoint facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Add DUMMY BUFF SPELL to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Add a 5.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to CAST DUMMY BUFF SPELL

Trigger:
  • Item3
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set TempGroup = (Units in (Entire map) matching (((Matching unit) has buff DUMMY BUFF) Equal to True))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in TempGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Add classification of An Ancient to (Picked unit)
      • Set TempGroup = (Units in (Entire map) matching (((Matching unit) has buff DUMMY BUFF) Equal to False))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in TempGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Remove classification of An Ancient from (Picked unit)

using these triggers to make units Ancients when being attacked/targeted by an enemy spell

EDIT:
u could maybe do what they did in dota for "Kalen's Dagger of Escape" or watever the blink dagger is called. um its like a dummy item, that whenever the hero is attacked by a hero it becomes replaced with the dummy item that is unusable, and after 3 seconds it returns to its normal form that is castable again.

this wouldn't be to hard i think. but this might not be what you are trying to do.

Replacing the item could be a better way than changing classification to ancients. Depends on if there are healing items that you could use on allies as well on yourself.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
yeah that would also work.

then you will still be able to click on it, if u are going to use the method of changing to ancient, you might want to change the message it gives you when you try to cast it when your not able to.

from "Not targetable to Ancients" to "Cannot cast now", or "Must wait 3 seconds before cast", or something like that

also if the item healing ability is instant and not targetable then it will just waste or some other error would show, i am not sure.

Necrach

Reaction score
yeah that would also work.

then you will still be able to click on it, if u are going to use the method of changing to ancient, you might want to change the message it gives you when you try to cast it when your not able to.

from "Not targetable to Ancients" to "Cannot cast now", or "Must wait 3 seconds before cast", or something like that

also if the item healing ability is instant and not targetable then it will just waste or some other error would show, i am not sure.

Indeed. And why not "unit have to be out of combat"? :p This can be changed in Advanced > Gameplay Interface

But it seems from @erics post that its simpler than that, that it's an item usable only for healing the hero carrying it.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
ah i see. so he already got what he wants, and we just giving uneccesary suggestions? :/

Indeed. And why not "unit have to be out of combat"? This can be changed in Advanced > Gameplay Interface

and yeah that'l work too haha.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
I used my custom value to create a combat system. Whenever a unit performed a hostile action or was the target of one (attack, cast a spell, etc.) I added the unit to a "combat group" and set its custom value to the duration of the combat expiration timer. Then, I used a periodic time event to reduce the custom value and remove the unit from the group once it hit 0. You can then check if the unit is in or out of combat by checking whether its in the unit group or not.

Necrach

Reaction score
I used my custom value to create a combat system. Whenever a unit performed a hostile action or was the target of one (attack, cast a spell, etc.) I added the unit to a "combat group" and set its custom value to the duration of the combat expiration timer. Then, I used a periodic time event to reduce the custom value and remove the unit from the group once it hit 0. You can then check if the unit is in or out of combat by checking whether its in the unit group or not.

Off-topic: Man, using a periodic event for reducing costum value lets say each second is so simple and SMART! Why haven't I thought of this? +rep this helped me in a trigger I am making <3 :p

how stupid of me not thinking of this earlier :banghead:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.