US News Vehicles To Test Hydrogen-burning, Mileage-raising Gizmo

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Extracting hydrogen and oxygen from water and burning the gas in your vehicle engine to boost gas mileage and cut emissions? Crazy, many engineers and other experts say.

But four Howard County highway workers say they've made devices to do just that and successfully used them on their own vehicles, and now they have the OK to test them on a couple of county vehicles.

"If that's what it takes to get a net savings, why not?" County Executive Ken Ulman reasoned after visiting the county's Cooksville vehicle maintenance shop to see the devices and talk to the men who built them. Ulman, facing the worst budget crunch in decades, said he loves the men's spirit and creativity and he's told county public works supervisors to make the device test happen.

More about it here.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Just because you're not a scientist, doesn't mean you can't invent crazy stuff that changes the world.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
o.0
Let's see what happens when we face other resource deficiencies because of this.

I don't see how a device that seems to create gas from water will create resource deficiencies o_O

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
I don't see how a device that seems to create gas from water will create resource deficiencies o_O
The traditional way to extract H2 from H2O is to run electricity through water, the electricity has to come from somewhere. [del]It's unclear if the article talks about a new method to extract H2 from water or a method to run your car on a mixture between H2 and gas.[/del] Turns out the white part wasn't the end of the article but rather empty space from an ad :p

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
I think this is a bit misleading.

As I understood it, those guys found that a car doesn't completly use all fuel, but there's still a bit of flaming gas left. And now they found a method to burn it... somehow involving hydrogen.

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Wonder how long it'll take for car/petrol companies to buy them out, and lock it away forever.

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
It costs money for everything (except this forum, and linux). Not to mention if it does increase mileage you will make the money back in savings.

No I can guarantee you this forum costs money in some way. (e.g. the software/server running it)

Wonder how long it'll take for car/petrol companies to buy them out, and lock it away forever.

They can just do the smart thing and support the next fuel? Lol.

LearningCode

Reaction score
Some forums have actually found a way to support themselves without having to squeeze out a dime from their pockets.
I'm not sure if this forum is the same, though.

I know of one forum, but I'm not sure if linking to other sites is allowed, lol.
But the forum and site does cost money, just that the person who runs the site and forum pays nothing at all.

SkeletalVamp

Cool Member
Reaction score
If we can use salt water, were not going to run put any time soon.

The exhaust of hydrogen cars are water, so i agree with you. We won't run out of water. :)

By the way, I did know this idea was looked upon as crazy.
In my school they teach us about this. :rolleyes:

And the smart thing about this is that it can be used like a battery.
To "store" the electricity from wind- and solar energy, using electrolysis.

The hydrogen gas can be stored inside some sort of aluminium so it won't be flammable.
The aluminium will release the hydrogen at a certain temperature so it can be lead into the fuel cell.

LearningCode

Reaction score
Solar energy is inefficient.
It's highly dependent on the weather.

Wind energy is worse -___-
Even if we built enough Windmills to satisfy our needs, the world will become a much hotter place with less air circulation.
Kinetic energy from wind ---> Electrical energy via Windmills

The more Kinetic energy we take out from the wind, the less energy the wind has.
And if you're thinking of arguing that it's the Earth rotating that produces wind and stopping the Earth from spinning is literally impossible, don't.

Then again, building that many windmills won't happen.
Windmills are more inefficient than solar energy, they require a lot of land to produce even small quantities of useful energy and very few places on Earth have the kind of wind power that's consistent and needed

Yea, Again; Let's see what happens when we face other resource deficiencies because of this.

We'll be turning back to fossil fuels again or nuclear power (ftw, All of us gonna' mutate)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.