WIP Warcraft 3 Life

S

Skudgemuffin

W3 Life

Intro
I have been making a map where you play as a person who lives in a city, kinda like Loap (No, I didn't just open a Loap map and work from there. I made a new city and everything). For now I've just called it W3 Life, but I'm sure a more clever name will appear soon.
---
Features
Here is a list of features. About half of them have been completed, and a couple are in progress.
  1. Other players cannot pick up your items when you drop them, unless you use "Unclaim Item"
  2. Every street is named. When you get the advance cell phone, you can use its GPS function to tell you what street you are on.
  3. Any items you collect, cannot be picked up by players unless you use an ability that allows the item to be picked up by any player.
  4. After you buy or rent out a house, you can go to different stores and buy walls, furniture, etc. to place in your house.
  5. You can open your own stores.
  6. Cars run on gas. You can go to a gas station and buy more gas. Different cars hold more/less gas.
  7. You can use the arrow keys to rotate and zoom the camera.
  8. You need to be in your car to drive it. Locking the car doors will greatly decrease the chance of having your car stolen. Driving on terrain other than roads will decrease/increase speed depending on your vehicle.
  9. Parking lots. You can park your car in a spot (Not for free) where it becomes invulnerable and 'unstealable' but not drivable.
  10. Lawn system. Every x game days your trimmed grass turns into regular grass, regular grass turns into dirt, and dirt turns into rough dirt. Basically, your lawn degrades over time. You can improve your lawn by using a lawn mower, watering it, and planting grass seeds. Trees (Which you can plant yourself) also degrade with the lawn, and weeds may appear over time.
  11. Your phone. Through out the map you may notice different phone numbers written on signs, walls, etc. You can dial the numbers with your phone.
  12. You can go to school.
  13. You can get a job
  14. You can put money in the bank and withdraw it via ATM machines.
  15. The club opens at night.
---
Ideas
Here's a little list of ideas (And the person who came up with it) for the map that I plan on adding eventually.
  1. Weather effects. Lightning strikes deal massive damage, rain turns dirt into mud, etc. -Zinive
  2. Theater. Watch movies. -Zinive
  3. Radio. Listen to different Warcraft songs. -Zinive
  4. 480x480 - Steel_Stallion
  5. More than 1 city -Steel_Stallion
  6. Once a player buys a certain tech, his boat can use the fishing ability.
---
Screenshots
The current minimap. The house looking icons are buildings/plots of land that you can buy. The gold mine icons are stores.
Graffiti.
McGrub is the McDonalds of the map.
The runway at the airport.
One of the city's parks.
The other park.
A parking lot.
The side of a public swimming pool.
A class for not so smart people.
A street in the ghetto.
Gameplay shots:
Delivering letters as the mailman.
The postmaster isn't to happy that you quit.
---
Project Website
W3 Life has a website and forums, which can both be found at http://w3life.vndv.com. Please show your support for the project by signing up on the forums. There's a thread there which is the first thing I update, and it contains all of the information here and more, including a daily progress log and the status of the above features.
---
Thanks for reading this. If you have any ideas or whatever, post here, or better yet, at the project forums.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I have to go now so I'll be brief.

Your map is called Warcraft 3 Life, yet the game, from your description, doesn't really relate to WC3 or it's lore. Cars in Warcraft? :D

However, besides that, it sounds really cool. LOAP's pretty much fail because they are imbalanced, i.e. stats are like 90000 for the "god" character, and the low peasants and drug dealers are so weak.

I love the movie idea, though I question how that will work.

Idea(s):
Crime Marker: every player has a crime marker which starts at 0. When they commit a crime, such as attacking an innocent person, or perhaps robbing a place if you have that feature, their Crime Marker increases depending on how bad the crime is. Every second, their Crime Marker decreases by 1, and if they caught by a police type of player/NPC, they will lose money and get jailed for time according to their current Crime Marker level. If you want to display it in a more simple way, you could do levels such as "Low, Medium, and High".

Good luck! :thup:

S

Skudgemuffin

Thanks for the reply :D

I know Warcraft 3 Life is a stupid name =p I just had to come up with something quick to set up some advertising this before I had to go to school xD

I think the movie thing could work like this... There is a fixed camera from a side view, the player(s) watching the movie/play will be in cinematic mode, and there's units/actors that move around like a normal cinematic.

Crap, I gotta go now. I'll edit this post and write more later...

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
Sounds fricken awesome.

I like the play style of LOAP, but there are so many things wrong with it. Having a better system for having a house (yours sounds great) and getting a job, etc. will be cool. I look forward to your map, +rep!

Advena

Just casually observing atm ;)
Reaction score
Sounds really really cool to have this kind of game in wc3 :thup:
I've never played.. Loap, is it? ..so I consider this a very good idea credited to you alone :D

Get a download link in here sometime soon and I'll inofficially help you test it a bit (which basically means I'll try it a few times and then whine about the things I don't like about it.. jk mate, hehe). Anyways, keep it up :)

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Just my opinion, LOAP is pretty much FAIL nowadays because of all those rigged versions. :)

Hm... would you like some game-name suggestions? A theme would help.

Names:

SIMS (duh :D)
SCL (Simulated City Life)

Btw, what do you think of my Crime Marker idea?

S

Skudgemuffin

Thanks for the support, everyone.

Advena, the map isn't even in beta yet, but hopefully I'll get the first working version out soon :D

thewrongvine, Yes Loap does fail because of the rigged ones. Just to make things clear, this map is balanced and will be protected.
I like your crime marker system, although I think it shouldn't increase if no one saw the crime. Also, I pictured it being shown via a multiboard. Were you thinking the same?

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Yeah, a mutliboard which showed the marker of everyone. However, the crime marker goes up whenever you commit a crime, even if no one saw it. However again, it doesn't really make a difference, because they can only catch you if they see you, so even if you like have a marker of say 5000 (pretend its high :)), if you instantly like go to a restaurant and eat, they can't catch you unless they saw you.

Hm... that would be hard to make maybe...

And I forgot to say this I think, if you get caught without a crime marker, and you are put in jail or whatever with a marker of 0 (no crimes committed), you can SUE THEM!

I got this idea from a map in which I cannot say the name because it is racist.

"REVENGE OF THE *******!"

S

Skudgemuffin

Sounds quite complicated, but maybe I could pull it off.

off-topic -> Wtf is with people creating maps with names like that now...

S

saberxpert

Hey Skudgemuffin, I like your map idea but try to keep it as basic as possible for the beta version, I speak from experience when I say that if you try to put too much stuff in at once, you end up being overwhelmed and quitting.
About the crime factor thing, (GTA based?) I suggest you just you levels because numbers would be more complex and might make it lagg (10 ppl(just a number) having 10 numbers going up and down...) Maybe use 5 levels of crime like in gta? (5 star system in GTA(Grand Theft Auto))
For example: Cool-As-A-Cucumber(0), Small-Time-Crime(1), Petty-Theft(2), Organized Crime(3), Mafia/Professional-Crime(4), RUN FOR IT!!!(5)
Just an idea though...
*EDIT* Also, for the map name...:
Grand Theft Warcraft(GTW)
Warcraft Sims(WCSIMS/WS/WCS/WSIMS)
Regular Life(RL)
Not Just Another Loap Map
Just Another Loap Map
Plain Ol' Life (POL)

Just throwing some ideas around...

thewrongvine

Reaction score
I vote for "Grand Theft Warcraft" :thup: :D

There's no poll. :p

And do you understand the words? Just asking, lol. Your title sorta' makes sense but not really... GTA makes sense because you do steal those things. :/

Lalalala!

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Ha... You're funny! :p People will join and go like "Yay WOW!', then finish downloading, see that it is not WoW, and go like "**** **** *** ***** ****!" :)

Nice screenshots, especially the road. lol, graffiti. I have an idea from that - wait, nevermind.

You have an airport... are there going to be planes? :D

S

Skudgemuffin

There might be planes... don't see much point in them though since there's only 1 city. Then I wonder why I made an airport... GAH!

"I have an idea from that - wait, nevermind."
Come on :p What's your idea?

And GTA has 6 stars :p And Just Another Loap Map is win, I mean, the freakin acronym is JALM...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.