What Would Make A Decent RPG?

S

soulbad

An interesting rpg to me would be one with alot of custom items and units, to me i like seeing items that are created by the map makers and units that aren't just the same names as the default names on wc3. Another thing that makes the games interesting is originality. It gets old seeing the same old rpgs that have nothing different or attempted to be different create some new triggers or systems on it that you just happend to think of. Little suggestions would be to add bosses and keep a story line regardless if the map is open or not make quests that you can do all over the map but when you beat them something else will happen like another more mysterious quest or a cinimatic.
I don't know but in my opinion originality is the key of success.

Demonfaze

8 yrs. Hell, it's been a long time.
Reaction score
is this a single player or multiplayer RPG

i really hope to see a good multiplayer RPG without save/load codes (so you don't have to play many times just to have fun)

S

SWAT-Sheep

In my opinion, custom buildings and abilities are the best!

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
When you make an RPG you should make a SAVE/LOAD so people will enjoy playing, also you have to add detailed looking cities or as detailed as you can get and add quests. Items that have bonuses and stuff like Set Items and Unique Items, that will really get a game running, even better you should add attachments that really gets a game popular but increases the size of the game.

I

Infiltrator.

the save/load feature is a must!!! the game will last much much longer rather then starting from scratch every time. also i think a good rpg would be a huge map with many items, quests, and people in it to help you. there is one i really liked i think it was called like empire something... took me 5 hours but i beat it with all my friends. :rolleyes:

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Me, personally?

Time and effort.

Anybody can make a great game out of any genre - It just needs a lot of time. It doesn't need fancy things, just well thought out heroes, units, and items.

If you take your time with it, and really put your heart into it, you can make a great game. It's as simple as that.

RunningAway

Cool Member
Reaction score
Ugh I've been working on this thing for a long time now... custom heros with their own trigger abilities, good hero selection system, tons of custom items, along with several items that are forged by combining basic items. A short intro cinematic with some fancy little combat scenes, i'm working on developing a "main plot" line along with several quests which branch off of it. You can increae your party size by finiding NPCs which will join up with you and inturn have their own side quests and personal items... Lots of random encounters and some wonderfull little dungeons with some tricky little traps. And of course a save and load system...

But I've been talking to my beta testsers and we can't agree on one paticular thing, should the NPCs be user controlled? or should they follow the player around and run on some basic scripts?

--Check List--
Time And Effort
Save / Load
Custom Abilities
Custom Heroes
Custom Items
Lots Of Bosses
"Dynamic" Storyline
Good NPCs
Forgable Items
Custom Enemies
Pack Animals

And it is beatable in one long sitting, but only if you avoid all the wonderfull little side quests :(

Thx to everyone who responded any further input would be apprecitated, I'm not finished quite yet ^^

K

KeeperofKeys

I would have to say that the main things in an rpg that attract me are:
1. A good story. Take time to check the spelling and make sure everything is in character. If you ruin the player's suspension of disbelief then the whole thing goes down the tubes.
2. Interesting Heroes. This may seem like a give away, but the standard Wizard/knight/theif classes tend to get old. Make some genuinely COOL heroes. Just make sure that their abilities are balanced and they don't get too weak/too strong/annoying.
3. Good items. Not just the old "wooden sword-iron sword-steel sword" junk either. Make items that do useful and interesting things. A good example is the fountain water featured in some D&D maps. Letting the player refill their healing potion supply when you are near a fountain is helpful and neat, and places emphasis on knowing the terrain.
4. Involving and interesting quests. DO NOT jump for the tired old "Kill this random unit and come back" thing. Be creative, and allow multiple quest solutions (Eg. Stealth or brawn).
Well that's my opinion. Hope it helps. Good luck!

ragingspeedhorn

Is a Banned Asshole
Reaction score
What many of the RPG's is missing in my oppinion is an actual storyline with good characters. All this ORPG stuff is not in my taste, I would prefer a good 'ol RPG with a decent story anytime :)

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
- No save/load thing, irritating to me when people have 100 levels higher chars, also funnier to start new ones and try out new heroes.
- Alot of custom spells
- Custom units
- Completely custom heroes
- Tons of quests, side quests are nice too
- custom items
And of course a very exciting and good story

Y

YosLin

I think some rpgs need a good teleport function
It gets really boring and annoying after walking for like 10 minutes to a place just to find out that you didn't go were you wanted :( , but not to good of a teleport function that it is way too easy too get any where incuding places where they arent supposed to be. :rolleyes:

I hate the save-and load-systems :mad: it makes it annoying when you just want to kill something by yourself and not have any help when all of a sudden a max level character comes and kills the boss you've been trying to kill for a while. Althogh I tihnk a good score system for like kills and deaths just to offer a little bonus or just to show off, is a good thing and doesnt ruin the game. :D

Rpgs should probably also have a completly random event everyso often, however it should still maintain its original storyline or story line of side quest. Its good to see originality :D instead of like in for example where if the have a base they just basicaly after a while the units get overpowered too very easily and can only sit in base the whole game.(really boring :banghead: )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.