Weird Banksy sells his art for practically nothing to unsuspecting public

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Unsuspecting tourists who thought they were buying cheap Banksy knock-offs have scored the bargain of a lifetime after the elusive street artist revealed the paintings were really his.

Banksy used an anonymous old man to sell several of his original works for US$60 ($63.60) from a stall in New York's Central Park on Sunday.

The paintings are actually worth around $42,400 each.

It took hours for the man to make his first sale, no doubt because everyone thought he was selling counterfeits.

His first customer was a woman who bought two small canvases for her children – but only after haggling him down to a half-price discount.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Apparently they aren't worth that, because no one paid that for it. Pretty sure you can't attach whatever value you want to items, otherwise I've got a few million dollars in collateral in my house.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
They dont even look good. Looks kinda boring to me. You find crap like that on the internet at every other corner.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
You will only find that in New York. He is never in Houston :(

Varine

Reaction score
Eh, I kind of like a couple I've seen. Minimalist approach, though at best I would only get them to fill in space on the wall (which I don't currently need). But definitely not worth thousands of dollars.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently they aren't worth that, because no one paid that for it. Pretty sure you can't attach whatever value you want to items, otherwise I've got a few million dollars in collateral in my house.

Mainly because they didn't know it was worth $42400. It's pretty much straightforward to expect that what people sell on the streets is worth pretty much nothing because of counterfeiting...

Varine

Reaction score
Mainly because they didn't know it was worth $42400. It's pretty much straightforward to expect that what people sell on the streets is worth pretty much nothing because of counterfeiting...

Yeah but who decided it was worth that much? If they did know, no one would have bought any of them.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I, again, have to agree with varyne. The value of goods is determined only when they are purchased. Until anybody buys it from you its a worthless item. Only when somebody is actually going to pay you money you can tell how valueable something really is.
The art there? I wouldnt even pay $60 for that. More like $10 maybe.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
That's all true, unless these pieces actually regularly sell at galleries or online or wherever artists sell stuff. If the sales are regular enough at that price, it'd be safe to value them at that price.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
That's all true, unless these pieces actually regularly sell at galleries or online or wherever artists sell stuff. If the sales are regular enough at that price, it'd be safe to value them at that price.

You can't really say that a piece will be worth the same value as its counterparts. If an artist regularly paints lifelike oil landscapes for $1 million, is a stick figure drawing by the same artist worth an equal amount?

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Like I said, if the sales are regular enough then you really can value them like that. These pieces were all of the same style as the ones before so the second part doesn't really apply to this situation, but if they were significantly different from his regular works then I wouldn't think you could base the price in the same way.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
These pieces were all of the same style as the ones before so the second part doesn't really apply to this situation
What about "The time, Size of work etc... " Would you take the same price?

Varine

Reaction score
Like I said, if the sales are regular enough then you really can value them like that. These pieces were all of the same style as the ones before so the second part doesn't really apply to this situation, but if they were significantly different from his regular works then I wouldn't think you could base the price in the same way.

That isn't how the economy works.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.