Crime NY youths in plea deal in MySpace case

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Two New York men accused of trying to extort $150,000 from MySpace.com by developing code that tracked visitors pleaded no contest Monday to illegal computer access in a bargain with the prosecution.

Two counts of attempted extortion and another illegal computer access count were dropped in the deal, which gave the defendants three years probation. Each had faced up to nearly four years in prison.

Shaun Harrison, 19, and Saverio Mondelli, 20, of Suffolk County, N.Y., were accused of demanding the money as a "consulting fee" from the News Corp. subsidiary. The pair were offering the code on their own Web site for $29.95 and claimed to be developing an unbreakable version. MySpace had blocked the existing version after it was discovered.

The popular MySpace social-networking site — where people create elaborate profiles and personalize them with photos, music and video — is supposed to offer anonymity to visitors who browse the pages.

Last edited:

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> demanding the money as a "consulting fee"

Well, given the amount... sounds about right.

> where people create elaborate profiles

They what? Ever been there? :p

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
Lol. I see TH.net in the background on your comp.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
:) - I know it is quite the distraction but also kind of fun. I use it mostly to reconnnect with old friends from High School and such.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I usually just use Email and MSN. I don't use Myspace that much (used it for like 4 days)

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Use mine to keep in touch with people. Amazingly, no one can remember my house number, my address or my e-mail address.

However, they remember the URL for my myspace and my cell number... And occasionally, my work schedule before I do o_O THAT was weird.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Another Acehart posted thread from the log files I am in nostilagia mode right now :)

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
It is so weird that this thread has a view count of 777 and I just had another significant thread with view count at 666 WTF? I am starting to see weird number patterns LOL!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.