Discussion Rubik's Cube discussion

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
Uhm, i was originally going to just ask one question, but i might have others, and other people will too, so ill make it general.

When you try to solve a rubik's cube, is it better to solve one side at a time, or multi task and end up solving all 6 sides at once?

If you havnt tried a rubiks cube, i strongly suggest you go buy one (i got mine for 9 dollars at wal-mart, it was the original 3x3x3 with a stand and a booklet). Its such a good time passer, and.. you can really raise some eyebrows by doing it.

Notes, on the rubiks cube, and fun facts.

Will Smith demonstrated that solving a rubiks cube is a great way to show your knowledge, he solved it in
The Pursuit of Happyness, where he solved before a taxi ride ended.
In The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, where he solved it infront of a college recruiter

An algorithm is the main method of solving a rubiks cube.

The full number is 519,024,039,293,878,272,000 or 519 quintillion possible arrangements of the pieces that make up the Cube, but only one in twelve of these are actually solvable.

The current world record for single time on a 3×3×3 Rubik's Cube was set by Erik Akkersdijk in 2008, who had a best time of 7.08 seconds at the Czech Open 2008.

As of January 2009, 350 million cubes have sold worldwide making it the world's top-selling puzzle game.

Speedcubers have been known to lubricate their rubiks cube, to allow ease of movement.

When looking at a cube, the middle color will always stay in the middle, so if you turn it left or right, it will stay in the middle. That is how you know what color goes with what side.

There are different variations of Rubik's Cubes with up to seven layers: the 2×2×2 (Pocket/Mini Cube), the standard 3×3×3 cube, the 4×4×4 (Rubik's Revenge/Master Cube), and the 5×5×5 (Professor's Cube), the 6×6×6 (V-Cube 6), and 7×7×7 (V-Cube 7). There are even touch screen cubes and LCD cubes

2005 marked the 25th anniversary of the original 3x3x3 rubiks cube

Last edited by a moderator:

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
I've got a friend who can do them in ~two minutes. I've always been bad at them though. =/

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I can solve them in like 3 minutes, it's not anything like people think they are. It's allllll algorithms, once you learn them, it's easy.
People seem to think it's a puzzle with a completely random solution, but in reality, it's pretty much "look for a pattern and do this" stuff.

Watch this ( and the second part and others ) a few hundred times and you'll get it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsQIoPyfQzM

Prepared to spend lots of time learning them like most people that can have. :p

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
i actually use the white cross method of solving it

It goes

White cross on top (U)
Red blue green and orange on each cross
Then Ri Di R D on each white edge piece, then the white layer gets finished.

Its a matter of memorizing the turns and if you screw up you have to restart or do the entire sequence backwards.

It impresses the ladies though :thup:

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
People that read the "How-To's" aren't pros, :p
You gotta solve it yourself to truly say that you solved it, lol.

~Hi-Bye-Vine~

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I learned from that video, before that I mostly ended up doing this to with the cube--->:banghead:

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
I wished I lived when they were first invented. It was the WoW of the 70s.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I just took mine apart and put it back into place. It's actually a really good way to piss someone off because you can put them all together wrong and no one will know what to do!

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I just took mine apart and put it back into place. It's actually a really good way to piss someone off because you can put them all together wrong and no one will know what to do!

An utter waste of ~$10. :rolleyes:

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
I could never solve that damn last layer, couldn't memorize the algorithm and always messed up. I gave up a while ago and now my cube is probably long gone. One of my asian friends can solve the 7X7 it was intense

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Plus, you can put it back together right. I got one from the dollar store from like 3 dollars.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
ive heard that a lot of speedcubers buy it directly from the rubiks site, since you can buy with lube already added in

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
actually, i have 4 buckets with 4 different colors and 4 different brushes. Rubrik ist solves in less than 10 secs xD

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I have a lubed rubix cube a friend made for me I paid 10$ for it. I can solve the rubix cube in 01:12 (mm:ss) or 00:54 if I'm doing it as fast as I can and I solved my first cube in 3 weeks after reading the instruction booklet that came with it :)

Kenny

Back for now.
Reaction score
I have a 'lubed cube' laying around my house somewhere. I wore it down so much, that when trying to solve it as fast as possible, it would explode in my face, haha. My first cube took me about 12 minutes to finish, only 3 hours after I bought it and read instructions.

Now my fastest time is 00:44 (mm:ss) with an average of about 1:05, probably a bit less. Haven' done one in a while now, might give it a go in the morning.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.