System UAC - Unit Aura Control

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's backwards compatible.
I didn't remove features, just added them. :)
(Or changed how they worked internally)

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
I'm actually looking at writing a spell. I thought UAC may make it faster to write. Here's end-user style feedback as to why I didn't use it in the end.

Like most users, I spent all of 5 minutes trying to figure things out about the system. And, well, if it was going to take more than 5 minutes, it was faster for me to write myself for my application.
  1. I couldn't figure out whether or not this supported auras being added/removed from units.
  2. The documentation seems to suddenly mention "the struct". What struct? Maybe I missed this, but the documentation just seemed too bloated to find what I was looking for.
  3. I found H2I attachment, which I ban on principle. Nothing wrong with the way you've done it. I'm an end user. I don't need to justify my decisions or be "correct".
  4. When I glanced through the documentation I reached the end before I knew where to even begin using the system.

Now, sorry to provide such harsh feedback on something you no doubt spent ages creating, but this was the reality for me. Perhaps you need a 10-15 sentence tutorial on using this system.

And having the changelog and contact information first actually was really frustrating.

Edit: I finally found the "Usage" section in the documentation, but feel like killing you for putting it there. It was harder to find this section than to use the system. :banghead:

It still doesn't explain whether or not auras can be added and removed, so I still can't use the system.

Hope you find this feedback useful. :)

PS. My spell was not a hero ability. It was to be added and removed via triggers. :)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I couldn't figure out whether or not this supported auras being added/removed from units.
Yes, it does.
There's even a 'single' operator, which automatically destroys the instance when the unit dies. :)

> I found H2I attachment, which I ban on principle. Nothing wrong with the way you've done it. I'm an end user. I don't need to justify my decisions or be "correct".
Most people don't have a problem with that. And unfortunately, H2I is the only way to do this without using UserData.

As for the documentation, I'll fix it up. :)

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Hm. I may give this another shot. I didn't end up making the spell yet, and may not at all. It was an alternate reality spell - the hero and all units the player owns goes into an alternate reality, and can only be seen and targetted by other units in it. So doing it as an aura seemed handy. :p (And cheap timewise.)

>only way to do this without using UserData
Is there a problem with using a UserData indexing system? o_O
Just wondering...

Rommel

Reaction score
Oooh, i love Romek..btw, Romek, can you make a tutorial about custom auto-cast spells like Impetus in DotA. Yes there is already one in the spell section but it seems old and complicated !

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Is there a problem with using a UserData indexing system? o_O
Yes. System independence is a fine thing.
Not like the current method is terrible either. You're just H2Iophobic.

> Oooh, i love Romek..btw
=)

> tutorial about custom auto-cast spells like Impetus in DotA
I don't even know what Impetus is.

> Yes there is already one in the spell section but it seems old and complicated !
I haven't seen it.

I've got vJass II and III to write. And II is delayed. So don't expect a tutorial like that anytime soon. :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just read about that new patch.
How annoying.

It's a little fix. I'll need to do it once I've patched though. Something that I can'd do so easily. (I've got WE from the wrong version. =|)

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
hey romek....... i have a request..

could you update the attachment system?
dont rely on H2I anymore, i mean also not GetHandleId()...

because it's a major system in my map and i use it for lots of spells.

maybe go back to PUI or any other..
just not H2I 'cause it will make maps that have it not 'backwards compatible' with other versions of warcraft.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Updated to 2.2.

Once I get time, I'll probably recode the whole thing again. Constantly adding methods can make things messy. And I don't think any more can be possibly added. :p

The Filter methods could probably be stub methods instead of interface methods.

It should maintain backwards compatibility, though I'm considering renaming the methods to match more common naming conventions. (UnitPeriodic -> unitPeriodic, etc).
Comments on that are appreciated.

..And the documentation will be updated. =)

That'll probably be the final update.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The PUI version is gone.
I'll make a PUI dependant one if you want, which I'll release with version 3.

Why do you want a PUI dependant one anyway? o_O

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.