about hero arenas

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
i need some answers/suggestions..

1 what makes hero arenas fun for you?

2 if you were playing an arena in single player mode, what other stuff would you like to do besides beating up stupid AI?

rephrasing #2..

what would you like to do in single player hero map?
kill bosses, questing.. or anything else..
or a new type of gameplay to test your arena skills..

or... If you're alone and have one hero in a map, what would you like to do?

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
[1.]
-balance
-uniqueness (unique heroes, spells, items... something that wont remind me on other maps)
-short understandable tooltips
-small terrain (making an epic size map in Hero Arena is useless...)
-bonus events (quests, bosses, duels...)
-the need of a team play to win the game
-easy to learn in first time play (this is most important since most people play the game only once to see how's the game and if they like it or not.. it depends on this one)

[2.]
-I never play Arena in single player mode

13lade619

Reaction score
-I never play Arena in single player mode
well, maybe i'll rephrase my question..

what would you like to do in single player hero map/game?
kill bosses, questing.. or anything else..

or... If you're alone and have one hero in a map, what would you like to do?

SkinnyAshley

Reaction score
1. Originality is probably the most important thing, like dinowc said. Heroes, spells, terrain all need to be unique and memorable. I think short back-stories to the heroes are important, as well as their spells matching their story. Also, think about things you can do to really make your arena stand, such as mini-games or duels (both of which have been done, but you could put a new spin on them). Maybe global quests would be a good idea (I read about this in a game that's coming out soon, can't remember what it's called though), such as a caravan appears, and whichever team gets to it first has to defend, while the other team has to attack. Whichever team wins, gets rewarded. Something like that. Originality is everything... and balance.

2. If it's not an arena, single player would probably have to be RPG or RTS. If it is an arena... why would you even play it in single-player lol?

Hope that helps.
-- SkinnyAshley

Deviruchi

Reaction score
well for me though...

1) - Heroes that have very creative movesets
- Challenging layout of terrain
- Understandable skill descriptions
- Random events
- Teamplay (optional)

2) - Kill massive numbers of creeps until you drop dead from their sheer number =P
- Ummm....Do repeatable quest (if the game has a long continuity)

gud luck on your map..

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I'm currently making a Hero Arena map as well.

OK then, here's what's making me play hero arenas often.

Rewards
- What I mean by rewards? Well, the Winner of the arena gets to have a bonus reward, or anything extra, like a bonus minigame, a special match, a nice cinematic or whatsoever, anything good that's in store for the champion. You'd have to make sure that players will do their best to be the champion, and see to it that they get what they deserve.

Deatchmatch Arena (also from my arena)
- Teamplay Hero Arenas are too common, to me. Try out a Free-for-all Deathmatch instead. The skills are all offense-oriented (eg. Damage Skills, Buffing, Offensive Auras, Summoning, etc.). The action is more intense! Players focus on killing others to gain gold and power themselves up, or inversely, defend themselves.

Lastly, as a terrainer, I like Hero Arenas with decent and beautiful terrain.

If you're alone and have one hero in a map, what would you like to do?
Of course, you would get to play Mini-games, like in Uther Party, making Single-Player and Multiplayer equally fun.

-- Umaku iku yō ni -|- jonadrian619 --​

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
1. it has to be balanced, no broken heroes. If it's a custom hero arena, then it can't have broken combinations. It also has to have good terrain and creeps, as well as making a balanced system that prevents people from getting too strong and camping the other team's side (if it has team play). I would like to see some sort of handicap system that would help out a losing side that way it isn't totally one sided (which is what almost every game turns out being, one sided).

2. Quests, some sort of main objective to complete (be it a boss, collecting an item or something to that degree). If it's a boss, give it a story. Don't just put a strong unit somewhere and say, "it's the boss, kill it." Same thing with items, give them stories. In single player games, story is incredibly important.

13lade619

Reaction score
2. Quests, some sort of main objective to complete (be it a boss, collecting an item or something to that degree). If it's a boss, give it a story. Don't just put a strong unit somewhere and say, "it's the boss, kill it." Same thing with items, give them stories. In single player games, story is incredibly important.

ok.. a story is a great idea... and maybe a time-attack concept will add a little competition..

so my map would be like a single player time-attack dungeon // hero arena.
and BTW... i was too unskilled in terrain making so i'm borrowing
blizzard's plunder isle melee map with a little modifications.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
2) I would want quests and a "side-story" sort of thing, so there would be other things to do that differ from the normal story. I would also want to have a good terrain. That always makes maps seem better.

13lade619

Reaction score
I would also want to have a good terrain. That always makes maps seem better.
umm.. i kinda 'borrowed' blizzard's Plunder Isle melee map for my terrain.

and updates on the progress:

i have a creep revival system
game time system
random hp/mana healing drops from creeps.. just like in diablo III.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
umm.. i kinda 'borrowed' blizzard's Plunder Isle melee map for my terrain.

As long as you change it enough to make it your own, then that should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.