Anything = Anything?

Cheddar

This is the way it was meant to be.
Reaction score
My friend says he's found a way to prove any number equals any other number... I know it can be disproven, because in actuality it isn't true, but it's a bit interesting how he came up with this.

Take 3 = 4... we need to turn this into a true statement.

So my friend multiplies both sides by 0, and by definition, that keeps both sides equal.

So 0 = 0, a true statement.

Of course, this appears to work with any two numbers, but I'm having a hard time with it... you should start with a true statement, right?

Even though it's a simple trick, it's true in theory.

I so want to use this on a math test someday. :D

Multiplying both sides by zero is actually not a legal move when solving an equation, for the reason your friend pointed out.

So basically it's

0+0+0=0+0+0+0

NOT 3=4
It's Three Zeroes equal Four Zeroes.

I so want to use this on a math test someday. :D
Test, which you fill fail miserably.

As for the "proof":
3 = 4
<=> 3 * x = 4 * x | x > 0
<=> 4 * x = 3 * x
<=> (4 - 3) * x = 0
<=> 1 * x = 0
<=> x = 0

Which "confirms" the zero element property of the multiplication.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is weird seeing a way more realistic users online number
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Tuesday Night!
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.