Flamethrower Effect

S

Sneak

I'm trying to create a unit with a type of attack that's like a flamethrower. The problem I'm running into is finding a way for the projectile to damage everything it passes through on it's way to the target. What would also be nice is finding way to attach an effect onto those units as well, like a burning effect. Right now I have the unit sending slow moving fire projectiles in a stream to give the look of a flamethrower. So far that works pretty well.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
You could do like the unit fires units that look like projectiles that have immolation...

I honestly don't know.

xmkiller

Reaction score
Use breath of fire and code it so that everytime the unit attacks it will cast breath of fire.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Then the unit wouldn't be attacking at all.. and does breath of fire really look like a flamethrower.

, But i think you're onto something. Change the model of breath of fire and you should be good, but make a dummy unit cast it in the background so it wouldn't halt the attacking of the attacker.

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
I would recommend you to use this model file. It's really low in file size and fits well for your needs. Also for the damage, I would recommend you to either use Vorpal Blades or trigger it so a dummy unit is created each time the unit attacks and order it to cast an invisible carrion swarm.

xmkiller

Reaction score
Then the unit wouldn't be attacking at all.. and does breath of fire really look like a flamethrower.

, But i think you're onto something. Change the model of breath of fire and you should be good, but make a dummy unit cast it in the background so it wouldn't halt the attacking of the attacker.

Yeah, thanks for clearing it up for me. ^^

S

Sneak

Jeez, I wouldn't really know how to do that. Could you give me an example? I'll try the vorpal blade thing though. K, I realize the vorpal blade thing won't work because it carries the damage onto the units behind, not in front of. You can't really change much of the effect of the ability either.

Jagan

Reaction score
Did you try Weapon Type - Artillery (Line) and Weapon Type - Missile (Line)?

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
Artillery line damages everything behind the target

so itll damage like this

Code:
||||||||||||||||||||
|X|||||||||Occc|||||
||||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||||
|XOccc||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

X is atacker
O is target
c is splash

so with artilery line, itll hit the target and damage everything behind it too.... so if you want it to work like a normal attack (mening w/o tirggers) then the range for your hero has to be really low (110 or so, so that its not melle) and have the splash take care of the rest of the range (i think its damage spill distance)

S

Sneak

This dosn't work either, the splash damage goes circular, not in a line. Plus making it an artilery attack would mean the resulting death animation being a bloody explosion. Also, there are other small complications to get this to work well. It dosn't seem to be the anwser.

This has become quite difficult. I thought I might already have a solution. If there are spells that can do the same thing, why can't an attack? Couldn't I possibly make an attack that casts a spell like shockwave or carrion swarm continuously? Still need help.

TooSlowFcker

Reaction score
maybe you can make a spell based off of shockwave and change the projectile model, and remove the attack ability and make the hotkey A
then when he attacks, he'll cast shockwave which damages everything in a line
i never tried this though so it prob wont work
EDIT: oh you already said that lol. read your question then posted a reply, but yeah it might work
but you can add the buff flame effect or whatever it's called(the thing the demolisher uses) to it, and trigger the effect

S

Sneak

Yeah, that would be the plan. But how would I get it to continuously loop when I select a target? It being cast over and over wouldn't make the same effect as having a continuous stream. I need something that will work like an attack. I want the unit to be able to cast other spells as well.

FireBladesX

Eating my wings!
Reaction score
Dummy units cast it (sorta lame, huh?). But that's probably the best way. Personally, I would just make it have small range, and give it a Missile (splash) attack.

I think someone already mentioned the dummy units, however.
Post 4 by Tyman2007.

S

Sneak

I wouldn't know how to do the dummy unit thing but I still need a hand on this. I don't want to give up on it.

Volkof

Reaction score
I honestly dont know what is wrong with using Breath of Fire. You can simply change its model to the one Kazuga provide.

Unless it is the triggering part that you dont know, do say so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.