Getting Started With C#?

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting into C#, but I'm not exactly sure where to start.
I know a little bit of C/C++ already, as well as the general concept behind C# (I've read up on the syntax, and am familiar with most of it.).

Any suggestions on where to go next? :D

(PS: VS 2008.)

goto EXIT_C#

InitPerl6(); # xD

First get the trial Microsoft Visual Studio C# 2010 Express, which lasts forever and has great functionality.

Then, work on creating some basic programs interacting with the system, like create a battle engine and then save data heroes to text files in directories you create.

Eventually create a GUI for some things, like a GUI for picking files, and do something with the file like search for leaks in GUI by having them supply a .txt with the trigger in it, keep advancing on this till you get it a good leak checker that searches for all the leaking lines.

After that, research XNA and follow some tutorials to get into 2D games. Create a pong game. Then, create a real pong game with highscores and features and maybe even power ups and speeding up ball and shrinking or expanding the paddles based upon where the ball bounces, really beef it up. You should be pretty proficient with flat-2D at that point. That means you could start to make something like Vamp, but 2D. Just walls instead of cliffs, it will get you a lot better with 2D, then make a game like Mario, a side scroller.

Keep on developing games like it's your job, then get started on 3D. Before you know it, you'll be a C# Guru.

or if you have a .edu email, you can get the full 2010 version from here, it includes better documentation, otherwise go with what tooltiperror said

I can't use VS 2010. It lags waaaay too much.

Then, you're going to get half as far in twice the time.

I assume that you already have a project in mind that requires C#. Why don't you tell us a bit about that project and we can probably tell you what you need to know.

I haven't touched C# for a while, so I'm not familiar with the .NET 4.0 features. But my favourite feature of C# is the getters / setters (I think they call it "properties"). That will be a good one to look into. You might also want to look into events and delegates. Since you didn't say you're familiar with Java, take a look into generics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.