Good sound effect tutorials?

Weegee

Go Weegee!
Reaction score
Anyone know where I could find good sound effect tutorials? I want to learn how to make sound effects for my game. +rep for links ;)

If you need anymore info let me know

Do you really sant to make them yourself or can you just not find any proper sites to download good sample fx? I find Flashkit.com good, but I do not know of any tutorials. Theres got to be some out there though.

Most sites I find don't allow their sound effects to be used for commercial purposes. They are also rather poor quality; they sound like something from movies in the early 1900's

If you're not making monetary gains it isn't technically 'commercial' you just need to give credit to the website or creator.

Get yourself a microphone and learn how to make noises?

And get an understanding for diffrent sound synthesis technics. A "bubble laser" fx for example is made with selfoscilating filters. And still, even if you don't want to make sci-fi fx, synthesizers (or more accurate - samplers) are great to transform recordings and give them the right edge.

And what type of game are you trying to crate effects for?

Just close your eyes, imagine a gun, and open them yelling BANG and it'll be great.

Just find a video and dissect it, or I'm sure there are gun sounds placed in maps and whatnot around, take them out of BF2 or something....

@Varine
Could be done if you are feeling rouge, but the Weege seem to be wanting to be able to release it commercialy, and then it's not realy a great idea. That is unless you fancy the idea of a bunch of lawyers trying to sue you on a heck lot'a money... :p

Find a gunsound and put it in a waveeditor, try to see the characteristics of the sound is built up. Quick attack? Long reverberation tail? Then try to recreate. Microphones are always great, try recording things coliding with eachother, then maybe process it by distorting it? The list goes on..

Try installing the Demo of FLStudio... It comes with an excellent library of sound FX..

Why don't you try actually recording firing sounds. Do you have anyway of going to a shooting range and recoding in there?

I do not know of any shooting ranges near my position in California, San Jose... Well, that would actually be SAFE to go to :p.

BTW, whats cheap and good at recording?

If sfx is your deal, a handheld device is somewhat awesum. :)
It allows you to be able to record anytime you feel you've got an idea, wich can be worth a great deal when you've got an idea. It's not fun if you are away from home, and if you are there, must fire up your computer and recording software.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.