Health Harmless soil-dwelling bacteria successfully kill cancer.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A bacterial strain that specifically targets tumours could soon be used as a vehicle to deliver drugs in frontline cancer therapy. The strain is expected to be tested in cancer patients in 2013 says a scientist at the Society for General Microbiology's Autumn Conference at the University of York.

The therapy uses Clostridium sporogenes – a bacterium that is widespread in the soil. Spores of the bacterium are injected into patients and only grow in solid tumours, where a specific bacterial enzyme is produced. An anti-cancer drug is injected separately into the patient in an inactive 'pro-drug' form. When the pro-drug reaches the site of the tumour, the bacterial enzyme activates the drug, allowing it to destroy only the cells in its vicinity – the tumour cells.

Researchers at the University of Nottingham and the University of Maastricht have now overcome the hurdles that have so far prevented this therapy from entering clinical trials. They have introduced a gene for a much-improved version of the enzyme into the C. sporogenes DNA. The improved enzyme can now be produced in far greater quantities in the tumour than previous versions, and is more efficient at converting the pro-drug into its active form.

Start waving goodbyes to cancer! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fact that the plot in I am legend was whole viral treatment for cancer turning people into zombies will make people go against this, which is a shame because i think this has real potential.

I think the fact that the plot in I am legend was whole viral treatment for cancer turning people into zombies will make people go against this, which is a shame because i think this has real potential.
LOL no, no one is going to go against this because of that bs movie. Resident Evil on the other hand...

Wtf. I thought I am legend was about vampires and not zombies :D
This. Changes. EVERYTHING.

LOL no, no one is going to go against this because of that bs movie. Resident Evil on the other hand...

"what could ever make you think that is a good idea like for the love of god who thought that? giving a virus to everyone in the world would help any one"

quote from a comment in the link vine posted to that scene.

"what could ever make you think that is a good idea like for the love of god who thought that? giving a virus to everyone in the world would help any one"

quote from a comment in the link vine posted to that scene.
Lol anyway, I hated that movie. It was so boring. And I'm pretty sure that movie had vampires not zombies...

So they've concluded that when they inject you with it, it actually kills the tumors, and doesn't just give you a new kind of disease?

So they've concluded that when they inject you with it, it actually kills the tumors, and doesn't just give you a new kind of disease?
It destroys the cells within the vicinity... Needs some major testing but if it works then we have a solution for one of the major diseases in America.
If i had to donate to a cancer organization it would be this one.

Hopefully this works out great without any side effects.
Till then, we can only pray.

Cancer! Y U NO DIE? :yuno:

It destroys the cells within the vicinity... Needs some major testing but if it works then we have a solution for one of the major diseases in America.
If i had to donate to a cancer organization it would be this one.

So basically kind of what the current ones do, only isolated?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.