Help with making custom skills

misterurafag

Reaction score
what i am basically looking for is a trigger so that when you type. example "-cleave" your hero will get that skill and be able to level that skill up. any suggestions?

evilertoaste

Reaction score
Well there's an event in the GUI- "Chat Message", and there's an action- "Unit - Add Ability". Sounds like those are what you're looking for.

Fluffball

Reaction score
If you do the add ability, then you will have to do an Unit - Add level of ability for unit - heres the code (Handwritten)

Code:
-Cleave
Events - 
    Player 1 Red types a message containing - cleave as an exact match
[CENTER]<<<<Do this for each player>>>>[/CENTER]
Conditions - 

Actions - 
    Pick every player owned by Triggering player matching (Picked Unit) is a Hero equal to True and do Actions -
   Loop - Actions - 
    Unit - Add Cleaving Attack to (Picked Unit)
    Add 1 level to Cleaving Attack for (Picked Unit)
    Do anything else here (Add -1000 gold to (Triggering Player)), stuff like that

duyen

Reaction score
If you do the add ability, then you will have to do an Unit - Add level of ability for unit - heres the code (Handwritten)

Code:
-Cleave
Events - 
    Player 1 Red types a message containing - cleave as an exact match
[CENTER]<<<<Do this for each player>>>>[/CENTER]
Conditions - 

Actions - 
    Pick every player owned by Triggering player matching (Picked Unit) is a Hero equal to True and do Actions -
   Loop - Actions - 
    Unit - Add Cleaving Attack to (Picked Unit)
    Add 1 level to Cleaving Attack for (Picked Unit)
    Do anything else here (Add -1000 gold to (Triggering Player)), stuff like that

Instead of doing it for each player - why not in a init trigger add an action which loops through the players adding each player to the event? It's faster to do and takes up less space in the map.

misterurafag

Reaction score
first of all i would like to say thanks very much for helping. but what i'm trying to do is make it so that the person could pick five skills of any skills he wants and then they will be added to his hero just like any other skill where they will go and spend points on the skills to increase the level of the skills rather then adding skills to them every so often in triggers. also there are going to be 10 levels of each skill to.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
try this:
give your hero all those skills in the editor and disable the use of them via a trigger running at map initialization. Then when the hero types "-whatever you want" enable the use of that skill. I dont know if it works if you choose more then 5 abilitys for the hero to level but its at least worth to try.

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
If your map is small You could also just make different variations of heroes depending on how many skills you're introducing.

This would be a last desperate attempt- of course:p

misterurafag

Reaction score
ya you can't add more then five skills. but was a really good idea. and i plan on making tons of different skills so making heros with all different variations of the skills is plain out of the question.

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
Do you need them to be heroes? Because I know it's much simpler to add abilities onto just plain units. I believe there's a GUI trigger that's pretty direct to just add it right on.

Also if they're going to be getting 5 skills are they going to be using them all at once? If not then you can just have the other abilities require an upgrade. And when they complete or do something that will allow it you can always just run another trigger to enable it.

misterurafag

Reaction score
Do you need them to be heroes? Because I know it's much simpler to add abilities onto just plain units. I believe there's a GUI trigger that's pretty direct to just add it right on.

Also if they're going to be getting 5 skills are they going to be using them all at once? If not then you can just have the other abilities require an upgrade. And when they complete or do something that will allow it you can always just run another trigger to enable it.

yes they do need to be heros so that they are able to lvl up and then add the skills point to the desired skill. and the hero will have all 5 of his skills custom picked so yes.

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
Then I don't know what you can do, sorry. But I can tell you that I"ve seen this done before so I know it's possible. I believe the game was Custom hero Area or something.

I remember in the game there were shops and you could choose abilities that came in the form of items. once you chose your 5 slots you would go to a circle of power and then the items would turn into ur abilities.

Sorry but, but I'm plum out of ideas :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.