Hiding a player's units (hehe)

M

MrJoeS

For a bit of one special function in my map, I'd like to be able to have a player own units that he cannot see, or control. Can the -visibility actions do this by creating a fog of war area, or would the unit "see" itself?

It is important that whatever kills these hidden units get be credited to a certain player, but that the player not know that they exist. Telltale things like supply and food won't be a problem because the hidden units won't need to have a food requirement.

I think with simple triggers I can see my way clear to working out this part of my map, as long as I can hide these auxiliary units from the player.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
well, assuming that no other units that are allied with these "hidden" units will come anywhere close to these particular units, then the way I would do it is by setting the unit visiblity to zero in the unit editor. Look for the fields "stats - sight radius (day)" and "stats - sight radius (night)"

ok, maybe that didn't quit make sense, let me clarify:

the above solution is very do-able if your hidden units only have to hang around other hidden units, because all of these units will have a sight radius of zero. BUT, if you need another unit which has a non-zero sight radius near these "hidden" units, then the above solution doesn't work.

unfortunately, i think that even if you tried to put a fog of war over one of your units, then you wouldn't notice anything different.

edit: something i just realised is that units may not be able to fire at other units if they can't see them (even if the acquisition range is normal). You might have to verify this yourself though.

M

MrJoeS

They will be out of the way of ordinary units, so other things seeing them won't be a problem until they fire on those things.

In StarCraft you could always get a little more range out of Siege Tanks if you had a Science Vessel or something to extend thier sight. As long as something the player controls can see the target, I think they'll be happy to fire.

I was more worried that they would measure their sight radius from the edge of their collision footprint, meaning hey would still see themselves, even if they had zero sight range.

Worst comes to worst, I drop the unit scaling down as far as it will go and hope people will ignore them. Even that would be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.