Sci/Tech Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 is designed to destroy the laptop

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Microsoft has unveiled a new Surface Pro 3 device at a press event in New York City today. Like the previous Surface tablets it still includes a kickstand, but Surface chief Panos Panay says it's designed to remove the conflict of buying a laptop or a tablet. The kickstand on the device is multi-stage, and the device is just 9.1mm thick. "This is the tablet than can replace your laptop," claims Panay. Microsoft has moved to a 12-inch screen on the Surface Pro 3 with a 3:2 aspect ratio and HD display, but the new tablet also has thin bezels with a silver and black design. Microsoft is planning to release the Surface Pro 3 tomorrow starting at $799.

Along with the Surface Pro 3 being a lot thinner, it's also a lot lighter than the previous models as it's 800 grams in weight. The weight of the original Surface Pro tablets was a big drawback, and it appears Microsoft has really focused on removing the bulk this time around. Panay used Apple's MacBook Air to compare the popular laptop with the new Surface Pro 3 on stage at Microsoft's event in New York City today, noting the weight benefits and screen resolution improvements. Microsoft has also been working closely with Intel to ensure the Surface Pro 3 includes the latest Core i7 processors. The processor still requires a fan, but Microsoft has refined the chassis on the Surface Pro 3 so you no longer notice the fan ridge the company used on the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about the interface. If you can invent an interface that's better than a keyboard, then you can destroy the laptop. Until then, Microsoft will need to include the keyboard cover as an option for the Surface tablets.

The title is some stupid editorial crap. No tablet will ever replace a laptop, because they all lack a keyboard.
One of the points of their presentation was, that it came with an attachable keyboard and kickstand. This is supposed to make it just like a laptop. You either believe that, or not.

Can the Surface OS run programs like 3DS Max or AutoCAD? It isn't a full Windows OS is it?

I don't think it will destroy Laptops! Btw: Do any tablets play DVDs? Hmm

Well FireCat, you don't really need DVDs anyway ha. And if you still prefer them, a designated DVD player and TV would be better.

Looks neat.

Just hook up a portable dvd drive via usb. You can get these things as cheap as 15€ over here.
Portable blue ray player for 40€ or so.

And if you still prefer them, a designated DVD player and TV would be better.
Why in the world... would I carry a TV and a DVD player around? I mean, laptops have pretty much everything you need!
Pretty easy to transport. A tablets may be easier, but that's all!

If you want to watch a movie just download it. Who uses DVD's anymore?

I never watch movies on laptops. I watch them on my computer. Illegaly downloaded from the internet.

I think Firecat overtrolled itself and is malfunctioning. It has confused even itself.

NO! Varine I didn't

Accname said:
I never watch movies on laptops. I watch them on my computer. Illegaly downloaded from the internet.
I know you are a thief ! That's nothing new! But that's not the point, But why do you need a "tablet" if you have an PC/Laptop at home?
You can't even watch old DVDs on it etc..
Hmm, I would be impressed if they could ntegrated dvd/bluray reader etc.. well, if they could make it thin enough!
But still "I wouldn't buy that for a dollar! Ha"

> But still "I wouldn't buy that for a dollar! Ha"
I would if it is.

Gonna love the pressure sensitive pen. Sounds pretty good for graphic works.

I know you are a thief ! That's nothing new! But that's not the point, But why do you need a "tablet" if you have an PC/Laptop at home?
Because you can't carry PC around? That's pretty much your own response. Haha.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.