Need help - AoE Doom

W

Waywardecho

I'm working on an AoE version of a unit summon on death ability like Doom or Black arrow. The goal of the ability is to cast the 60 sec buff on an area of units without the ability causing damage or being auto cast. Currently I'm using doom as the model, giving it 3 levels, removing the damage over time, and setting up dummy casters to accomplish the AoE effect. The dummy casters and triggers are where I'm running into problems. I've tried a few things, and it's not hard to make the dummy caster appear, I just can't get him to cast anything. My goal is to get the dummy caster to cast the buff any enemy target within 200 of the unit the hero first casts the ability on. I know this is basic stuff for most of you, but I could use the help all the same.

Basic structure -

Event:
- A Unit begins casting an ability

Condition:
- (Ability being cast) Equal to AoE Doom

Action:
- Unit - Create 1 DUMMY for (owner of (triggering unit)) at (position of (target of unit ability being cast)) facing 0.00 degrees.
- Unit - Add AoE Doom to (last created unit)
- Unit - Order (last created unit) to Neutral Pit Lord - Doom (Random unit from (units within 200.00 (position of (targeted unit)))

Thanks for any help,
-echo

W

Waywardecho

Thanks, that seemed to work. I'm aware that it's leaky, but I wanted to simplify the triggers while i was testing to get the effect I want. I won't claim to know where are the leaks are, but I assume I'll need to put an expiration timer on the dummy caster at the very least.

However, I've run into another problem. I know Doom has a level restriction on what it can target, but for the life of me I can't find the field in the object editor. Since I've made the ability into a 3 level ability, the second and third levels seem to have 0 in for the level restriction, so they can't even be cast. I picked doom because I wanted a castable ability rather than black arrow's attack modifier. Any suggestions? If doom won't work, is there an alternative?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your intention is to use a level'd up ability that spawns a unit, use Parasite not Doom. Doom can't be leveled. Although I think parasite can be auto-casted... :(

Darox

Reaction score
Or use channel and 3 different abilitys to simulate leveling up.

Set them all into an ability variable then use Add Doom[Level of AoEDoom for casting unit] to Dummy.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to base your spell off something which is actually AoE - ex. Channel, Silence, Flame Strike, etc...

Darox

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to base your spell off something which is actually AoE - ex. Channel, Silence, Flame Strike, etc...

But he probably wants it like Frost Nova or Acid Bomb. Channel would be the best way to go though.

W

Waywardecho

But he probably wants it like Frost Nova or Acid Bomb. Channel would be the best way to go though.

I've often hear Channel mentioned as a base ability for flexibility, but I've little idea how to use it effectively...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.