Old Threads

Cheddar

This is the way it was meant to be.
Reaction score
I've got a question about old threads. Let's say there was a discussion on... let's say Super Smash Brothers, but it was buried by other threads and is now on the 7th page, posting in it considered Thread Necromancy. Yet if you were to create anther thread on this game, people would say "There is already a thread about this" and redirect you to the old discussion.

My question is, in that scenario, would you revive the thread, create a new one, or feel sorry for yourself that you missed out?

I would say it depends on what the content of the original thread was. If you would add something along the lines of what was being discussed in the other thread, then go ahead and post in it. If people don't want to use that old thread, just create a new one. I doubt anyone will yell at you too much if you post in an old thread about the same topic.

> Older than, let's say, a week? New thread.

Why does it sound like you just made up that rule? :p

A week it is, then. :D

By the way, does that go for WE help threads, as well?

"Rule" would be pushing it.
I'm slightly more forgiving if the tread necromancer is the original poster.

Besides, about 98.7% of all "w3" threads that get closed because "there already is one" should look rather familiar to you...

> Besides, about 98.7% of all "w3" threads that get closed because "there already is one" should look rather familiar to you...

Indeed. :p But I do that when it's the same person posting a thread about the same question. I don't usually close the thread when someone new posts something that's already been asked. Then I just tell them to use search. :p

Thread Necromancy? What is this, CAD Forums? We really don't have "rules" against this, unless it is years upon years old. [Well, try months]

Seriously, though. We don't go by what page it is as much as the date of the last post and relevance the conversation can still have.

Just create a new thread if it's that old.

If it's past 5 pages then you probably should post a new thread, and if people redirect you you can post in the old thread, because people know it's there.

The only real thread necromacy I've seen was a person who bumped the "Welcome to (forumname) forum!" thread in GD? Or was it humor zone?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.