Q: A unique application of "atan2"

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
Is there some unique thing that you can do with this func, that you can't do with some other one.
Up till now I haven't been able to think of anything that can't also be done with angle between points?
And something useful too, something that can get in your map.

K

Kerberos

You can use Atan2 to make AngleBetweenPoints work. If you look at blizzard.j, you'll see that AngleBetweenPoints uses the function Atan2. I think that Atan2 was a Reign of Chaos thing, and AngleBetweenPoints was put in in The Frozen Throne.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
You can use Atan2 to make AngleBetweenPoints work. If you look at blizzard.j, you'll see that AngleBetweenPoints uses the function Atan2. I think that Atan2 was a Reign of Chaos thing, and AngleBetweenPoints was put in in The Frozen Throne.

The list of Atan2 usage :

MeleeGetProjectedLoc
AngleBetweenPoints
Atan2BJ

But well, AngleBetweenPoints can be modified to :

Code:
function ChocoboAngleBetweenPoints takes real x1,real x2, real y1, real y2 returns real
    return 180.0/3.14159*Atan2(y2-y1,x2-x1)
endfunction

MeleeGetProjectedLoc (AFAIK, it returns a location which has a <distance> from <a source> in the direction of <the target> :

Code:
function ChocoboMeleeGetProjectedLoc takes real x1, real y1, real x2, real y2, real dist, real Angle returns location
    return Location(x1+dist*Cos(Atan2(y2-y1,x2-x1)+Angle),y1+dist*Sin(Atan2(y2-y1,x2-x1)+Angle))
endfunction

(real x1, real y1 for the source, real x2, real y2 for the target)

martix

There is no spoon
Reaction score
I mean - I wonder why its put there at all... if you can do that with angle between points.
Say you know only GUI, you like working with points and stuff - why would you use that function. I believe it was called "Math - Arctangent from deltas" in GUI.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.