Spawning Units WITHOUT Regions

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
Okay, so my problem, is that I want to make units spawn based on a town halls location, but, I have a lot of trees, and spots that units can get stuck, So, I ask you Helpers, for a solution, be it as complicated as possible, because I have no idea what I could do. IsTerrainPathable won't work, as theres still spots units can go in, but they can't get out of them. I am spawning one unit every 5 seconds, and They are (I am trying) to spawn them randomly around the location of the units town hall.

Can't you make the building "create" a unit and then change owner of it? Or is that the same? lol

Can't you make the building "create" a unit and then change owner of it? Or is that the same? lol

I'm thinking of making the unit from one point and ordering it to attack move to a units base, but the problem with that, is what if a hero gets strong enough and takes everyones creeps?

Perhaps it would be simpler to go through the terrain and place pathing blockers in all the crevices so that there are no longer any walkable areas where a unit would be stuck?

Thats true, but when it creates units, and I've never actually tested it, does it just create the units in a place where it can if the units don't have room? And I guess what I could do, is make it so that the units have a larger collision size...

you can premade points in the position of the town wall for example:
Trigger:
  • Set point[1] = ((position of town wall) offset by (-150.00, 150.00))
    • Set point[2] = ((position of town wall) offset by (150.00, -150.00))
    • Set point[3] = ((position of town wall) offset by (150.00, 150.00))
    • Set point[4] = ((position of town wall) offset by (-150.00, -150.00))
    • Unit - Create 1 (MOB) for () at Barrier_Loc[(Random integer number between 1 and 4)] facing Default building facing degrees

They choose where to place the town hall, and the thing is that's what i've done, its just that it can bug a lot

Thats true, but when it creates units, and I've never actually tested it, does it just create the units in a place where it can if the units don't have room?
I'm pretty sure the units get bumped to the nearest pathable position. So, it should solve the problem to make sure there is no walkable, trapped terrain.

(Maybe that's harder than it seems; after all, I'm pretty sure even DotA has trapped areas you can blink into...)

Yeah. That's my point, It would be extremely tedious. Is there a way to check if it can move, like, if it can't then blink it towards the targeted point.

Would it be acceptable to treat this as a terrain problem? You could include more unbuildable terrain in order to restrict where the town halls can be built at. At any rate, without seeing your terrain/map, it is hard to understand your dilemma completely.

You might be able to make use of the [ljass]IsLocationVisibleToPlayer[/ljass] native, that could prevent most general issues. What sort of things make the map unpathable, but allow you to build near them? Trees? Cliffs? If the trees are indestructible and have gaps, you could use pathing-blockers to fill in the gaps.

How far from the Town Hall will the units be created?
Idea off the top of my head...create unit near the Town Hall (around 100 to 150 distance away) and make them move to a random point around the town hall.

An alternative choice,
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Time - Timer_TrainInterval expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set General_UnitGroup = (Units of type Unittype_TownHall)
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in General_UnitGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set General_PointX = ((Position of (Picked unit)) offset by 256.00 towards (Random angle) degrees)
          • Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Picked unit)) at General_PointX facing Default building facing degrees
      • Countdown Timer - Start Timer_TrainInterval as a One-shot timer that will expire in 5.00 seconds

The problem with that, is that I want them to seem like they're under attack, not just units flying in.
On the other hand, I could always just use dragons as the creeps.

You're spawning invaders, then. Perhaps you should encourage the players to build near gold mines by making gold a necessary resource. Then, you can make your own spawning areas near each gold mine.

I am spawning units that are owned by player 11, and are to attack each players town hall (My map, The Witch Doctors Revenge)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.