What's Your Favorite Editor?

Your Editor(s).

• Total voters

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
(I'm making a new thread, the old one is nearly a year old.)

Title says it. IDEs and / or editors. I'm currently using a mixture of Notepad++ (until my current project is done) and vim, and I'm transitioning over to vim fully.

RgwQF.png Dp1Ek.png

For Notepad++, I'm using the Monokai theme, with only the ZenCoding plugin (not including the plugins that comes preinstalled).

For vim, I'm using the Mustang theme, with the following plugins: Pathogen, delimitMate, closetag, vim-surround, NERDCommenter, NERDTree, Tagbar, cssfix (sorry, I can't find the link.), csscolor, and vim-fugitive.

Both editors use the DejaVu font (Sans Mono) @ 10px.

Note: vim is actually gVim, but I've disabled most of the UI components (menubars, taskbar, etc.).

(PS: I'll add the editors posted here to the poll.)

I voted for all of the above except emacs:
vi/vim I've been using for javascript, various text editing, some python, and some bash.
Notepad++ I've been using only for vJass, which I haven't been actively doing.
eclipse I've been using for some python, and Java.

I also used QT Creator a bit for C++, and I think you should include it among others in the poll, such as Visual Studio, PSPad, gedit, which I've used, as well as netbeans, notepad, etc.

I haven't done much C++ (yet), but I found QT Creator in my limited use to be very useful, work well, and have some excellent tools (such as built-in debugging (even for running javascript files on top of the C++), hotkeys to switch between header and source files, and customizable build sequences/types).

For Web Development (PHP, HTML, Javascript, and some other small stuff) I find the best editor I've ever had the pleasure of working with is Coda. Without Coda, I go crazy, it's just so awesome. It's syntax highlighting is superior to anything I've seen before, the color scheme is so much more graceful and really changed how I highlight my code everywhere. The integration with FTP is amazing, I edit my site as if it's just saved on my HDD. Coda is a must have for everyone. Regrettably, it is OS X only.

For other stuff, I use XCode for 2D graphics stuff with C++, and it's actually growing on me. Using it is sort of nice, it flows very well.

apple fanboy reporting in

Qt Creator for C++, Visual Studio for everything else. If Visual Studio doesn't support it, I hax it.

@azareus, I tried using Eclipse (well, Aptana 3), but could never get used to it. Code::Blocks was quite nice though. I enjoyed using that when I was learning some C++ (though I did never finish learning it. :D)

@Vestras, VS is decent, but I would prefer C::B for C/++ (or vim + make and gcc).
@tooltiperror, I wish they could port Coda to Windows. I've used a little bit of it, and it's quite nice (I didn't fully explore it though. :/).

Also, POST SCREENS OF YOUR SETUPS (and plugins / addons / extensions / themes / etc.), OR ELSE!

Also, it seems I can't edit the poll, so could a mod do that, please?

Notepad++ for local/FTP development
VIM on Linux boxes that have no FTP or for editing/viewing other files such as httpd.conf, logs, ...

For NPP, I use the ZenCoding and Explorer plug-ins

Edit: My 1000th post :eek:

>You still owe me for telling you about Coda
No? I found Coda by google. You told me how to "acquire" it ;)

I use komodo edit. It has tons of languages supported, syntax checking (it will put a squiggly red line under bad code), dozens of themes, autocomplete, and is has a lot of other features as well.

Any editors that support Content Assist/IntelliSense. Anything else is of little importance.

xmlspy - it has a "pretty" button, although VI and notepad++ and eclipse also make the list, depending on what is being worked on

I use NP++ for when I just want to open the damn source file but don't want herp-derp bloat to be loaded into RAM.

Use Eclipse and Notepad++, i have netbeans but i dont really use it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.