Your opinion on host bots like Ghost springing up in all servers?

Vicboy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
My opinion...

It started out as a host bot which hosted Empires. Empires was a really fun game and full house was a necessity.

It reached 3000 (Sadly, I missed the 3000 train)

a month later... It disappeared...

Then I started to see different kinds of host bots.

3... A month ago

6 three weeks ago

and now... 20 host bots, including multiples with the same map and people selling servers for hosting, now flood the list of Battle.Net

Is that a good thing?

For me, no. It's harder to find games that has a living human that can start the game anytime he feels like it than a game that will go in fullhouse which almost never does.

I've seen multiple host bots on their numbers of 10 after a whole week.

HELL no, I hate host bots, especially when they kick people just because the ping wasn't good enough. The ping doesn't explain much crap anyway.

You?

My opinion...

It started out as a host bot which hosted Empires. Empires was a really fun game and full house was a necessity.

It reached 3000 (Sadly, I missed the 3000 train)

a month later... It disappeared...

Then I started to see different kinds of host bots.

3... A month ago

6 three weeks ago

and now... 20 host bots, including multiples with the same map and people selling servers for hosting, now flood the list of Battle.Net

Is that a good thing?

For me, no. It's harder to find games that has a living human that can start the game anytime he feels like it than a game that will go in fullhouse which almost never does.

I've seen multiple host bots on their numbers of 10 after a whole week.

HELL no, I hate host bots, especially when they kick people just because the ping wasn't good enough. The ping doesn't explain much crap anyway.

You?

Can't be bothered by it, but that's mainly because I host all games I play myself. Besides the gamename pretty much shows that it's hosted by a bot, they all have the same name etc.

But like I said: can't be bothered by it no matter if I host or join..

If the map is half-way decent, then I'm fine with it. If it is not (for example like that World War 3 map), it is irritating.

If the map is half-way decent, then I'm fine with it. If it is not (for example like that World War 3 map), it is irritating.

It's not bad. But there are new ones emerging that are really bad.

Host bots are desirable for a lot of reasons.
- A player host has an unfair advantage from reduced lag. An autohosted game will be much fairer in that way.
- Bots can host more games while your game is running. That could have consequences like fewer dota games in the list, because a bot can accept 30 players joining the same game and divide them into three instances.
- Bots can host the same game on multiple servers. Hard-to-fill games suddenly fill up easily.
- Capabilities like changing the game speed, changing the sync rate, shuffling and swaping players, tracking stats, and so forth.

I pretty much disagree with your assertion that more hard-to-find games in the list is bad. It's better than a list full of DOTA games.

That being said, bots aren't inherently good. You can program them to do some pretty ass-holish things. Right now someone has a bot (not a hosting bot, though) joining games and spamming "join X clan!" messages.

I think they will start banning people who run these. There were some veiled warnings in the greeting message last time I logged on to battle.net

a little bit concerning because surely it hacks into WC3 no? Otherwise it's good since it hosts maps that other people cba to wait to fill up type maps.

I prefer them over the new spambots coming up lately. Anyone notice them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    News portal has been retired. Main page of site goes to Headline News forum now
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am working on getting access to the old news portal under a different URL for those that would rather use that for news before we get a different news view.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Easily done
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://www.thehelper.net/pages/news/ is a link to the old news portal - i will integrate it into the interface somewhere when i figure it out
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Need to try something
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hopefully this won't cause problems.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Hmm
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I have converted the Headline News forum to an Article type forum. It will now show the top 20 threads with more detail of each thread.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    See how we like that.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do not see a way to go past the 1st page of posts on the forum though
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is OK though for the main page to open up on the forum in the view it was before. As long as the portal has its own URL so it can be viewed that way I do want to try it as a regular forum view for a while
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Yeah I'm not sure what the deal is with the pagination.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    It SHOULD be there so I think it might just be an artifact of having an older style.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I switched it to a "Standard" article forum. This will show the thread list like normal, but the threads themselves will have the first post set up above the rest of the "comments"
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I don't really get that article forum but I think it is because I have never really seen it used on a multi post thread
  • Ghan Ghan:
    RpNation makes more use of it right now as an example: https://www.rpnation.com/news/
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What do you think Tom?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I will have to get used to this.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    The latest news feed looks good

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.