1st Chapter of a story I would like to write, just need feedback :)

aussj4link

Reaction score
Chapter 1

It began much like any other day, boring, depressing, and full of growing problems. It seemed the in the past decade people had grown increasingly more angry and hateful towards each other. It almost seemed like the world would end soon, collapse from pure hate filled people only concerned with themselves and how they can make money through others sufferings. Every other day there seems to be violence, crime, suicides. People hurting and killing people… fear and depression has worsened as time has gone on, ever since the turn of the millennia.

Two days after the New Year’s celebration for 2010, something felt really bad about waking up that morning, like waking up and finding out your alone and the world has just shut down on you. My name is ______ and I’m the biggest loser to ever grace the bad living guidelines of America. I’m depressed, way out of shape, I sleep 12-14 hours a day, eat the most unhealthy of food, all I do is watch anime, play video games, work at a gas station, and go to school for something I don’t care for. I begin my story waking up 20 minutes late for work as usual.

Alarm was buzzing again for the tenth snooze, “Fuck…” said after turning the clock off and forcing myself up, got dressed, and didn’t bother with the bathroom except to relieve myself. I couldn’t help but to go out first thing and make sure my family was still there. As usual they were and doing their normal leave-me-alone things. Hurrying to work I didn’t notice at first but there was not many people on the roads for the time of day, at work my co-workers were doing what they do best, nothing. As usual they complained about how I was late and how many things that was needed to be done. Work was pretty much normal until nightfall hit…

At about 5:00pm someone came in screaming drenched in blood, was difficult to understand what he was saying, something in Spanish which me and my co-worker did not speak Spanish. I hesitated at first thinking he was insane and was almost about to take him down in fear he might attack, but then I saw the fear in his eyes and immediately called 911. It rang 3 times then an automatic message said to hold as all callers were busy dealing with other emergencies. I told my co-worker to hold onto the phone, she was shaky nervously from the sight of the man and how he was screaming and whimpering frantically and cowering behind an aisle. I went and grabbed the first aid kit in the back, I couldn’t remember a thing from the first aid class I had a few years back but I figured the kit would have instructions.

Coming back to the man, another customer had entered and was worried about the situation, she had also tried to call 911 from outside but got the same message, I asked if she spoke Spanish and she did but she said he was speaking more gibberish than anything, talking about how everyone’s dead was the only thing she could make out. I asked her to ask him if he was hurt but he was hysterical and didn’t seem to hear her. Looking at him he didn’t seem hurt. I asked if 911 had answered yet and they had not, I wanted to make sure everything was alright at home so I called my sisters cell phone she answered after the fourth ring.

“Hello?”, “Hey is everything ok at home?” “Yes why?” “Incident at work, 911 isn’t responding, could you please try calling it and have them send over an ambulance.” “What happened?” “I think there may have been a bad accident, probably crash somewhere nearby.” “Ok I’ll call them.” “K bye.” And with the hang up of them phone there was a loud booming sound from the backside of the building, at which the man‘s screams intensified. I went around the counter to the door and the man leapt at me trying to hold me back, at this point I was getting kind of scared, I have a pretty intense imagination, so at that moment I feared something out of a movie was happening, even though that was ridiculous, I had no idea how much worse than the movies this was.

I shrugged the man off and asked the customer to please calm him and tell him I would be right back. She said a few things to him and he told her something, being the reckless kid I was I was willing to take on anything; I hated fear and thought I was above it. I told my co-worker to keep trying 911 and left before there could be anymore interruption on me going to check it out. As I stepped out I instantly felt different, a little less nervous but also the air seemed heavy and hot for a fall night. I looked down the street from the store and there was no one driving on the roads at all, it was rather strange about 5:30pm and nothing on the roads. A large wall was behind the store, I could see the light reflections of what looked like fire on the other side. After looking around a little bit I tried to climb the wall but was way out of shape and could not muster the strength to pull myself up. There was a fence close to the wall that was connected to the store, I put my sleeves over my hands and climbed up the fence trying to get my head over, after some struggle I was 2 feet away from the top when I heard something fall behind me.

The sound was like a squish with also a thump, after looking behind me and seeing nothing I climbed the rest of the way up the fence, when I looked over the wall there was no fire it was like the ground was covered in some kind of glowing red liquid. At first I thought it was the ground just really hot but not on fire, but then I saw the rip in the ground like an earthquake had happened. I tried to shift my weight as my hands were beginning to hurt then I saw something move in the corner of my eye. At first I thought it was a dog then I realized it was much too big to be, it was in the shadows so I could barely make it out but it seemed like it had some kind of jagged spikes coming out of it back and thought it just fur that was really mangy and dirty. It was eating something; its back was turned toward me so it was difficult to make out much of anything but after my eyes adjusted to the light and I saw what it was, there was no mistaking, it was human.

Frozen by fear, I stared in horror as I watched the thing tear the body to shreds eating bone and flesh like it was tissue paper. It was dark and very difficult to make out the beast, then it started raining, heavy and fast, with that things seemed even darker than before. I stared on full attention on the thing, unable to look away then it stopped moving. It’s eyes, glowing red eyes red like glowing brimstone and blood, it was looking at me. All I could see was its eyes by this point, then a flash of lightning lit up the area and that’s when I saw it. The flesh and blood dripping from its mouth, teeth like jagged knifes of bone and metal, that’s when I realized it was smiling at me. A smile so long it literally went to its eyes.

At this realization I lost my grip of the fence and fell back, hitting my head and back hard on the pavement but with the pain of the hit the paralyzing fear was broken, replaced by the fear to move as fast as possible. I got up and ran around the store as fast as I could without care for looking where I was going except back to the store to tell the others. As I was about to round the side of the store where the entrance was I stepped on something and lost my balance, falling face first and on my hand into a puddle. After a few seconds of a strange daze I’ve never felt before, having never hit my head hard enough to cause any form of the classic daze other people have experienced, I looked back at what I had tripped over and it was a leg, undoubtedly human with claw and bite marks, then I realized the puddle I was in was not water, blood and guts. This only seemed to intensify my fear and panic into running. When I neared the entrance to the store the lights were off except one light in the back that was flickering, the canopy lights were on but the store was dark.

I went inside slowly, fearing the worst. I got inside and listened for movement, there was none. I could hear my own breath like a diesel engine; I tried calming myself as I was out of breath from the run around the store. After waiting a few seconds, what felt like a year, I decided to call out in hopes that someone was still here, at that moment I needed to find someone, anyone at all. “Is anybody here…” I tried to yell but it came out more like a whimper, so I tried again. “Hello!” With that I was greeted with a loud bang and an indescribable bloodcurdling cry merged with a roar, I couldn’t make out what it was but I wasn’t going to stay and find out. I ran straight to my car looked all around frantically, the heavy rain was making it difficult to hear anything. I got my keys out of my pocket along with some change that fell over the ground, I barely heard them hit, I was more concerned with opening the door. I’m guessing the only thing I learned from watching too many horror movies was to check the back seat when I unlock the car door and the lights turn on. There was nothing there and I was thankful. I got in and was about to start the car when I saw the eyes staring at me, staring, cold, lifeless right on the hood of my car, they were tilted. I stared back, unable to move, thinking I was dead for sure. Then as if Mother Nature was trying to give me a little light, a lightning bolt in the distance lit up the hood of the car and in that instant I realized it was a human head and it was our neighbor who sold propane. I put the car in reverse, backed out of the spot jammed the car into drive and sped out into the street the head rolling off the hood like a basketball with a hole filled with tomato juice.

aussj4link

Reaction score
I so badly wanted to throw up, I was quite the fanatic about the internet and I had surfed the net extensively, being the amazingly popular athlete I was, I had plenty of time to find the worst of the worst on the internet, I had seen it all, all the real photos and videos of real bloody violence and car accidents, but it didn’t help the fact of seeing what I saw made me incredibly disturbed.

All I wanted now was to get home. The lights on the streets were not working, but they didn’t need to in most spots, as driving home there was burning buildings and lightning struck every few seconds now. I found myself driving all over the road trying to avoid all the debris, I learned something at that point as well, the monsters can run about 55mph. There were not only beasts like creatures but also some that were more humanoid, standing on two feet, but with horns and what appeared to be wings not unlike bats. I was expecting the whole time to be attacked from above, but the hoofed things when I did seem to draw their attention, only looked at me briefly some smiled then went back to whatever they were doing. As I neared the end of the 1st street on the 3 streets I needed to drive to get home, the Wal-Mart which I pass everyday and even shop frequently was covered in something, it wasn’t on fire like most of the other buildings, the parking lot had many vehicles aflame. I saw some people running from the monsters and wanted to help but the second after I noticed them they were taken down, I decided not to chance stopping and kept going as fast as I could. As I looked back at the super store I thought I saw it move, but that’s impossible, it seemed to move as if it were… alive.
__________________________________________________ __________________

I know there must be a lot of grammatical errors, but I'm mostly looking for feedback on the idea of the story so far, my ideas are actually going to go a lot further than this, A LOT further lol. When I read this it seems kind of cheesy almost but I'm hoping that's just me criticizing my own work lol, what do you guys think?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
The idea? I guess it's okay. Nothing completely new, but if you expand on it, it could work.

The writing itself could be more interesting I think. The opening is a bit "boring, depressing, and full of growing problems"; ha, no just kidding. But instead of just saying descriptions with simple adjectives, actually describe them in action. Show don't tell. But I think once the action starts, you describe the scenes nicely.

And you should put new dialogue on new lines.

Good job and good luck :)

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.