4mbs is crap

What do you think of the 4meg limit for lan and bnet?

• It's OK

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • It's alright considering...

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • It could be bigger...

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptDeath

Reaction score
that is increadibliily lame that the limit is 4megs think they butchered wciii with this "wow" least they could update the server to this decae i have a digital camera lowest rez is like 8 megs so i magaine blizz can make map size max like 50 megs then we could breath
optimum map size is 2.1-2 or below
2.1 megs ive had txt files bigger than that
just venting

Reaction score
It's fine you shouldnt normally need that much and if we did there would be hella lag and loading times. So im glad its only 4mb.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
4MB is just fine

1) I don't want to spend an hour waiting for a game to start, especially if the game is only 20 minutes long
2) Imported stuff would be the main contribution to achieving that 4MB, but why bother importing a ton of stuff (unless the map just isn't right without specific models/icons/skins) when WC3 already has some great resources available which won't increase your mapsize

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
well, i dont fully agree with any of you.

For most any game 4 megs isnt in issue.

But even if you are a great map maker(bigger then my self).
And you wanted to make a custom map that's alot like warcraft 3 melle. and you wanted custom sounds pics models ect. You wouldn't be able to fit it.

But i do agree, that there should be a limit somewhere. because many users have 56k, and we all want fast starting games.

I am more interested in the new starcraft 2. linked maps may solve this issue, by allowing you to go from one map to another. but i don't fully understand how linked maps work.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love the 4mb limit. 10,000 imports are a pain. And massive maps will just waste space.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
We simply need the 4mb limit. Otherwise we have maps going around that taks three hours to load with about 50 useless models and music that no one except the maker likes. People lag out on maps with the 4mb limit, imagine how many will do so on a 50 mb map!

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
4MB is just fine

1) I don't want to spend an hour waiting for a game to start, especially if the game is only 20 minutes long
2) Imported stuff would be the main contribution to achieving that 4MB, but why bother importing a ton of stuff (unless the map just isn't right without specific models/icons/skins) when WC3 already has some great resources available which won't increase your mapsize

1.That is the problem with you young kids of today, when I was young...:p
I could not agree more:eek:

2. If the game could had handled it it would had been amazing if someone would make a melee map with all new high poly models:D

And addition from my point of view:
If anyone here ever played counter-strike. When you are entering a server and you are missing files on the map they are downloaded from the host.

So the question is:
Why is not strategi games like warcraft3 using this way to handle all the imports, it would save both loading time and the maps would not need any imports at all.
The only cons I can see is that there would be a bit of a loading time the first time you play a map you have not downloaded before.
And that it would certainly take a lot more space than it does now. But I think it would had been worth it:)

CaptDeath

Reaction score
u can play wciii on 56k wow
im just Bitching though it really grinds my gears like around 2 megs thats just so tiny i personally am getting tired of the wciii mdls they get old after days in time of playing
yes days i have like 200 horus plus in 2 months so they get old fast real fast also its
also if theres a way to speed up loading we time cause im working on a map with 12000+ doodads and the loading time is a pain
withh 12000 thats a meg and a.2

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Why is not strategi games like warcraft3 using this way to handle all the imports, it would save both loading time and the maps would not need any imports at all.
Well, if you compare Counter-Strike to an RTS, it's far easier to jump into the middle of a game of Counter-Strike and start playing, whereas in an RTS, it'd be near impossible to jump in to the middle of a game since you'd be far behind everyone else, and probably just hinder your allies (if you had any), so everyone would have to download anything beforehand so everyone would be on a level playing field

That, and the fact that you'd be pretty much missing everything other than default models/textures since the units wouldn't be the same, the script wouldn't be the same, pretty much everything would be different in one way or another :\

Would be nice if the maps were something similar to Joint Operations - IIRC, JO maps were quite small KB-wise (even though many of the maps were fairly large area-wise) because you only had to download the map's 'blueprint', or something like that, since most of the assets used in the map were pre-existing in the editor, even though that may not be very plausible with SC2, since there wouldn't really be an in-game asset that would correspond to certain things like custom declared functions (even though they would be fairly small anyway) or customized units (since there wouldn't be a corresponding unit available)

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.