(6)Builders & Fighters

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
Joker's Builders & Fighters

Gameplay:

The concept is pretty simple. There are 2 builders and 1 fighter on each team. The builders build units for the fighters to fight with. The fighters obviously fight. Inspired by the original Builders and Fighters created in Starcraft.​

Info:
  • Map Size: 128 x 96
  • Max Players: 6
  • Objective: Kill enemy base
  • Restrictions: No heroes, No backstabbing(Almost impossible anyway)
  • Unit Limit: 200 units per team (owned by fighters)

Things Yet to Come:
  • Balancing
  • Possibly a loading screen
  • Possibly custom made Fighter heroes
  • Possibly Mixed Super units

Balancing:

The Figher Workers: The fighters will receive 2 builders, each corresponding to the races of the builders. Each worker will only be able to create 1 building
  • Human Worker
    • Farms - Strong Wall, has the shortest build time. (Gets quite strong after upgrades)
    • Arcane Towers - Average tower (may be upgraded for more hp and armor)
  • Orc Worker
    • Burrows - A weak wall, has a slightly long build time. Has an attack. (Becomes useful after upgrades)
    • Watch Towers - A weaker tower with a longer range attack.
  • Undead Worker
    • Zigs - An average wall, has a very long build time. (No upgrades)
    • Nerubian Towers - A weaker tower, has a slow effect attack, longer build time.
  • Elf Worker
    • Wells - A very weak wall, has the ability to heal. (Gets 50 more mana after upgrade)
    • Ancient Protectors - A stronger tower with slow attack, can be uprooted for a melee ground attack.

Basic Info:
JASS:
                Cost                     Build Time       Resources Rate

//WORKERS              
- Peaants        75 Gold                 9 seconds       Gold 10, Wood 15(35)
- Peons          75 Gold                 9 seconds       Gold 12, Wood 20 
- Acolytes       75 Gold                11 seconds       Gold 20, ----
- Ghouls        120 Gold                13 seconds       ----     Wood 30
- Wisps          60 Gold                 8 seconds       Gold 20, Wood 6

//MAINS
- Town Hall     385 Gold, 155 wood,     130 seconds             N/A  
- Great Hall    385 Gold, 185 wood,     105 seconds             N/A  
- Necropolis    255 Gold, ----,         95 seconds             N/A  
- Tree of Life  240 Gold, 120 wood,     120 seconds             N/A  

//GOLD
- The Gold Mines:          Has an invterval of 0.4, meaning you can have 2.1 workers inside the mine
                           so it gives 2.1 times the regular mines in warcraft with enough workers.
                           Also, not all gold mines are equally distant from your main. Som may
                           Need more than others.
                           Gives 10 gold per run. (Orcs get 12 per run.)

- The Haunted Gold Mine:   Building Time: 15 seconds, costs: 255 gold and 150 wood. Holds up to 5 
                           workers. Gives 20 gold per run.

- The Entangled Gold Mine: Building Time: 1 second. Holds up to 5 workers. Gives 20 gold per run.
                           Note that a tree of life can only root 1 mine.

//LUMBER
- Humans - 15 per run (can be upgraded twice for 25/35)
- Orcs   - 20 per run (no change)
- Undead - 30 per run (can upgrade ghoul frenzy to increase rate of lumber gather)
- Elves  - 6  per run (no upgrade)

//OTHER UNITS
  All units excluding workers have their building time reduced by 5.

//OTHER BUILDINGS
  All buildings excluding the mains have their building time cut in half, then subtracted 5 from.

FAQ:

Q: Where do you send units?
A: Why, the big patch of dirt of course.

Q: Whare are there 2 colors of dirt?
A: One is for supers, other is for sending.

Q: Wtf, my unit isn't turning into a super.
A: That is b/c you do not have 3 of the same units in the darker dirt or it is one of the few units that do now have a super. If neither of these apply, there must be a bug, which should be reported.

Q: Why do fighters get builders?
A: Well, its purpose is to create walls and such, but really its for the fighters to have something to do while waiting :D

Q: Wtf, towers aren't attacking.
A: That is because they only attack air and structures.

Q: Omg, the heroes suck.
A: Well...yeah they are kept the same as they are in the actual warcraft. These were mainly added to stop the people complaining about the lack of heroes, although I may consider turning them into custom-made.

Q: Omg, *such and such* are imba!
A: Tell me how and why and I may consider changing/fixing.

Q: Why do you have to build a tree for every mine?
A: Really, idk how to change this, but even if i could, I would leave it for balance reasons. Humans and Orcs need mass workers for both gold and wood, while ne only needs to mass on lumber.

Q: Why does the undead not start with a haunted gold mine?
A: That is beacuse I custom place the start units (Which I may change), but the undead get a big enough early game advantage with the mighty ghoul lumberjacks.

Q: Do upgrades carry over?
A: Yes.

Q: Why do you lose when your fighter leaves?
A: Because you can't fight without one. <3

Known Bugs:
  • When 3 units enter the super region side by side at the same time, the super unit does not get formed.

Future Updates (On this post):

Screenies:

Hopfully better screenies coming soon...
Fighters get their hero and 2 builders
bnf2pz0.jpg

Builders start pretty much like ladder games.
bnf1ho0.jpg

Changelog:

Code:
<<--  v1.18b (10/5/08) -->>
   -Fixed a super unit trigger bug
   -Nerfed Mastered spirit link and heal

<<--  v1.18 (10/5/08) -->>
   -Completely re-worked the super unit trigger
   -Various trigger fixes
   -Added a preloading intro
   -Added a 'Last Resort" ability to the Temples
   -You can now disable the notification ping 
   -Gave Death Knight a custom ability
   -Few balance changes on some super units

<<--  v1.17b (03/5/08) -->>
   -Added more effects to the "secret" unit
   -A bug fix

<<-- v1.17 (02/5/08) -->>
   -Added a "secret" unit (Not really secret)
   -Fighter's now have a few upgrades
   -Buffed super casters
   -More leaver messages
   -Tooltips on towers updated
   -archmage got a new skill (all other heroes will in the future)
   -Buffed Orc lumber gathering
   -Fixed a few bugs

<<-- v1.15b (26/4/08) -->>
   -Fixed a dumb bug

<<-- v1.15 (26/4/08) -->>
   -Shredder given to all 3 tiers
   -Added items for fighters
   -Fighters now have a 200 tower limit
   -Pillage is removed
   -Nerfed Roflcopters and Captains
   -Buffed Rangers

<<-- v1.14 (25/4/08) -->>
   -Structure build time reduced by 3 seconds
   -Fighters' Main Health reduced by 2500 (Increased regen by 5)
   -Units build time reduced by 2
   -Added shredder
   -Slightly buffed hero attack, attack speed, and life/mana regen
   -Elves auto-mine at start
   -Increased wood harvesting rates for all races except the Undead
   -Dirt has been changed to marble (because of blight coverage)
   -Obviously more super balancing

<<-- v1.13 (21/4/08) -->>
   -Heroes now level up to lvl 30
   -Added 1 new super unit for each race
   -More super unit balancing
   -Fixed a super unit bug when controlling two races 

<<-- v1.12 (20/4/08) -->>
   -Heroes now level up
   -Various Super unit balancing
   -Better Super unit coding
   -Unit limit lowered to 200 per team
   -Fighters can just push esc (on keyboard) to mass attack

<<-- v1.11b (20/4/08) -->>
   -Removed testing units (...)

<<-- v1.11 (20/4/08) -->>
   -Added towers
   -Various bug fixes
   -added boundaries (instead of those blocking doodads)

<<-- v1.10 (19/4/08) -->>
   -Added super units
   -Various bug/balance fixes

<<-- v1.02b (12/4/08) -->>
  -Fixed a team mess up

<<-- v1.02 (12/4/08) -->>
  -Got rid of Spirit Walker food cost (><)
  -Made different forces for fighters
  -Changed tier 3 teching time from 70 to 150
  -Fixed a leaver bug 

<<-- v1.01 (11/4/08) -->>
  -Various bug/typo fixes

<<-- v1.00 (11/4/08) -->>
  -Fixed a counting issue with UnitCount
  -Fixed showing wrong msg on defeat
  -Fixed Mountain giants skin researches being disabled
  -Lowered the max number of units to 250 per team
  -Gave moon wells a 75 health boost
  -Added msgs for -give g/w #####
  -Added a msg when a builder leaves
  -Little bit of trigger optimizing
  -A minimap preview added 

<<-- BETA2 (10/4/08) -->>
  -1 Bug fix
  -Added a multiboard
  -Lowered the Grand Temple's hp by 5000
  -Lowered the Town Hall's lumber cost by 50

<<-- BETA (9/4/08) -->>
  -Initial Release

Skipped version 1.16 for some reason...

Finally, a non-beta version. :D. Go play and tell me what you think or if you find any bugs, report them here. :D Remember, this is just meant to be a simple, yet entertaining(to some at least) map. Try not to suggest things that complicates it up. And yes, the units are to remain the same as they are in warcraft. I recommend you play with a full house.

Attachments

• Joker's Builders And Fighters v1.18b.w3x
    97.3 KB · Views: 157

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
This has allready been made, by several differnt people in warcraft.. But if you want to make another version, go ahead. :)

sjakie

Cookie Be Awesome!
Reaction score
This has allready been made, by several differnt people in warcraft.. But if you want to make another version, go ahead. :)

Exactemundo. There are lots of Builders and Fighters out there already.

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
But I don't see any of them being 3v3. There's one where it is 3v3v3v3, and one where it is 2v2v2v2v2v2(I think?). The 3v3v3v3 version has everything the same build time and only has 2 gold mines, making the game incredibly so paced. The 2v2v2v2v2v2 one made everything build in pretty much 1 second, and has not been updated in a while, (2 of the builders get an extra gold mine.). So, I decided to create my own, fixing all these problems.

@linamus
Not really. In fact, it is nothing like vamp.

Daskunk

Reaction score
But I don't see any of them being 3v3. There's one where it is 3v3v3v3, and one where it is 2v2v2v2v2v2(I think?). The 3v3v3v3 version has everything the same build time and only has 2 gold mines, making the game incredibly so paced. The 2v2v2v2v2v2 one made everything build in pretty much 1 second, and has not been updated in a while, (2 of the builders get an extra gold mine.). So, I decided to create my own, fixing all these problems.
I have a 3vs3. It was made by my brother, in fact, because his freind wanted him to make one, to fix bugs other ones had.

Daskunk

Reaction score
Yea.. Yours sounds tons differnt. His was normal warcraft in all ways, besides the fact that one person builds and the other fights. No super units or not-leveing heros..

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
NEW BETA!

If this version seems stable, I will change it to v1.00. The next release will be after I finished all the super units, unless I find new bugs.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
F*ck yeah! FINally!

You finished a map, congratulations! :D

I might test this out later... Seems interesting. I always like Building, and I like fighting. :p

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
NEW VERSION!

The balance chart is a little off right now. I have changed around a few of those thing.

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
NEW VERSION!

Super units added! I scratched the idea of Fighter heroes and just replaced them with regular ones.

J

Junichi

Seems like a pretty solid idea, original or no. But there's some concerns I have.

1) The build area strikes me as kind of small.
2) The hero for the fighter always seems gimpy beyond comparison. I didn't know why I wanted to keep him alive at all.
3) A lot of units just plain don't have super versions. That needs to be fixed.
4) The game seems to somehow set people's chat to [All] rather than [Allies] off the bat. This makes you look nooby.
5) The towers for the fighter seem all but pointless, and Ancient Protectors only seem to throw half the time.

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
I swear, i need to spam certain texts before every game starts...

1) The build area strikes me as kind of small.
I dont see any point to make it bigger. You can easily mass 20-30 unit producing structures, which is more than enough with the limited rate of money you are getting.

2) The hero for the fighter always seems gimpy beyond comparison. I didn't know why I wanted to keep him alive at all.
I added these in to stop the complaining ppl that wants heroes...Heh but later, I may decided to customize these heroes, as I have stated in the original post. However, this game is not meant to be focused on heroes.

3) A lot of units just plain don't have super versions. That needs to be fixed.
There are roughly 2 units per race that do not have supers. Supers require 3 of the same units to turn into 1 super. If for some reason they do not combine and the unit is not on the NON-super list (in game, F9), try moving them in and out of the dark dirt.

4) The game seems to somehow set people's chat to [All] rather than [Allies] off the bat. This makes you look nooby.
Idk how I can change the the chat via triggers. I made different forces for the fighters to remove confusion of which person is the fighter.

5) The towers for the fighter seem all but pointless, and Ancient Protectors only seem to throw half the time.
The main purpose of tower/walls + heroes is to give the fighters to do something while waiting. However, these can be used strategically. (i.e. Designing base for strictly air, or surrounding main to delay early harrass, and etc.) And Tower only target STRUCTURES and AIR. This is because aerial attacks are much harder to fend off than ground units and the structures are targetable to stop the other fighter from spamming too many towers (i.e. the Undead). I should add this to the FAQ since only the fighters can see the tooltip.

Anyway, thx for taking the time to give me those comments. Comments like yours really help me improve the gameplay and ideas of my map. :)

J

Junichi

I dont see any point to make it bigger. You can easily mass 20-30 unit producing structures, which is more than enough with the limited rate of money you are getting.

I took a second look at it and decided yes, there certainly is enough room, but you're arranged it in a curious way. Perhaps the design itself is what makes it feel so tightly packed? Most games I and others use the area off to the side to place all of our buildings and used the top strictly for lumber-gathering (especially for players who chose orc, as they're notoriously slow at gathering it).

It's a pretty fun map overall. I get frustrated when I'm the fighter and my builders aren't doing a good job, but I suppose that's part of the idea.

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
I took a second look at it and decided yes, there certainly is enough room, but you're arranged it in a curious way. Perhaps the design itself is what makes it feel so tightly packed? Most games I and others use the area off to the side to place all of our buildings and used the top strictly for lumber-gathering (especially for players who chose orc, as they're notoriously slow at gathering it).

It's a pretty fun map overall. I get frustrated when I'm the fighter and my builders aren't doing a good job, but I suppose that's part of the idea.
My purpose for that compact style was to try keep the map as small as possible (smaller map size). Although it gets its job done, I suppose you could feel a little bit cramped.

@Noob builders
Well..heh my builders and fighters have quite a significant difference now (faster paced, more resources, etc.) to many if not all others so it could take some time to get used to. Also, builders and fighters and never been a popular map, it may be their first time play, heh.

I'm assuming you have not run into any bugs or imabalance?

foodflare

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I found that sometimes when ur sending units to the super area they occasionally go into send area and i think if that were to occur the fighter should be able to make a less powerful super if they get three such regs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.