9/11 - Al Qaeda or the U.S.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
I was about 5-6 years old when we all saw 9/11 happening on the news. I couldn't understand much, but I do remember I did understand enough that I ended up crying about it. Twas a sad moment indeed o_O (I'm Living In Texas btw)

Esb does somewhat have apoint. All of us are too stubborn to admit one side is right and the other wrong.

stubs101

Reaction score
That's because we have different beliefs. Although maybe I am stubborn. I've been called that many times before.:p

But the topic is who did 9/11? The gov. or al Qaeda?

Demi666

Reaction score
Please make sure you read and understood the debating rules.

9.11.2001 was one of the most shocking events in the 21st century. It shocked the world and lead to a war.

However, many people say that the suicide attacks which Al Qaeda is held responsible for, were made by the U.S. The question is, who do you think is the responsible? If it is the U.S. why would it do it? If it was Al Qaeda, how could the U.S. allow such thing to happen?

well it all depends, it could very much have been the US fault and they just wanted a black sheep and their choice was Al Qaeda

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
^

Could be right.. But I find it weird

The hijackers were Saudi

Al Queda organized it

We Invaded Iraq?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
There were tensions in Iraq and the Middle east long before 9/11.

I think Varine explained the invasion in Iraq.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
^

Could be right.. But I find it weird

The hijackers were Saudi

Al Queda organized it

We Invaded Iraq?

The Al' Qaeda is a terrorist organization based on radical Islam. It's not a government funded group, it's privately funded mostly by the leader, Osama Bin Laden, who comes from an incrediably wealthy family. Bin Laden is also from Saudi Arabia, however the government banished him from the country.

There was also an Egyptian, and a Lebanese, and two people believed to have been from the United Arab Emirates. Al' Qaeda isn't specific about it's members, as it's not a religious group, not ethnic. I believe there have been a few Westerners that have been arrested for being enlisted in Al' Qaeda (I know one of them was American from California).

And once again, Al' Qaeda has no U.

We invaded Iraq in 2003 after intelligence reports confirmed they had illegal WMD's, which is in violation of the several resolutions Iraq had agreed to after the Gulf War in the early 1990's. We found chemical stockpiles, and I'm pretty sure enriched Uranium (I can't think of too many things you can do with Uranium). We also found underground prisons and torture chambers during the initial invasion. Hussein should have been taken out in the Gulf War, or right after when he attacked our ship. But regardless of that, we invaded Iraq in 2003, two years after the invasion of Afghanistan (which was because the Taliban were offering a save haven for Al' Qaeda operatives), because Iraq failed to meet it's legal obligations... again.

Seb!

Reaction score
We invaded because they had WMD's. They didn't have WMD's. 50,000 people don't need to die because of potential. And still, Al QuEda doesn't fit into this.

And who is America to police legal obligations? The UN said not to. Ever heard of Vietnam?

But fine.. Even though I still disagree with the reasons for invasion, I think the major problem was execution.

esb

Reaction score
The US had a reason to invade. In the Persian Gulf War, Iraq accepted to not have any weapons of mass destruction. Iraq didn't allow any weapon inspectors, thus raising suspicions in the US. Al' Qaeda attack the US, the US thinks it's had enough, and decides to fight back.
It might be a bit hypocritical, considering the fact that the US has had military in the Middle East for more than 10 years.

Seb!

Reaction score
Al' Qaeda attack the US, the US thinks it's had enough, and decides to fight back.

So why didn't they? Why invade Iraq, where Al Qaeda wasn't involved with the government.

esb

Reaction score
Al' Qaeda is in the middle East. Iraq is right next to it. It's like 2 birds in one shot. They get rid of their attackers, and Iraq that has the possibility of having WMD AND not obeying the 'treaty' or w/e it's called of allowing weapon inspectors.

Seb!

Reaction score
There are so many more terrorists than their were before US invaded. Radical Extremists run the Middle East. And Iraq never had WMD's.

You missed both birds, and they had babies.

esb

Reaction score
Varine has posted about twice what they found, and could be considered WMD.

Things don't always come out as expected. The plan was probably "Go in, take over, spread democracy, end."

Varine

Reaction score
There are so many more terrorists than their were before US invaded. Radical Extremists run the Middle East. And Iraq never had WMD's.

You missed both birds, and they had babies.

YOU might not consider nerve agents weapons of mass destruction, but the rest of the world does. Maybe you should read up what Hussein did to the Kurds in his Al-Anfal Campaign, and then read up a little about what he did to suspected political opponents.

And the UN enacted most, if not all, of the Security Resolutions placed upon Iraq. So no, the UN did not say not to 'police legal obligations'.

Are you done now?

Seb!

Reaction score
But by invading, you still aren't solving the problems that you are telling me that they have.

1. WMD's - I still don't believe they had them, North Korea does though btw. Many more WMD's now then there were before we invaded, globally.

2. Elimination of Threats - Number of terrorists rose.

3. Police Regulations - It still isn't the US's job even if they did have WMD's or even if the US thought it could set up a new government. UN approval, IMHO, is still necessary.

stubs101

Reaction score
We invaded because they had WMD's. They didn't have WMD's. 50,000 people don't need to die because of potential. And still, Al QuEda doesn't fit into this.

And who is America to police legal obligations? The UN said not to. Ever heard of Vietnam?

But fine.. Even though I still disagree with the reasons for invasion, I think the major problem was execution.

You still spelled Al' Qaeda wrong...

It's still off topic!:eek: It's the whole conspiracy thing remember! If you want to discuss the invasion of Iraq, go ahead, start a new thread!

But while we're off topic:p I would say that the war on terrorism is going well. The troops being pulled out, many victims, but many were "bad guys" so... And seriously, considering all that Varine has said, all being true and very argumentative I suggest you listen to him. He has more sense than many of you.

Varine

Reaction score
But by invading, you still aren't solving the problems that you are telling me that they have.

1. WMD's - I still don't believe they had them, North Korea does though btw. Many more WMD's now then there were before we invaded, globally.

2. Elimination of Threats - Number of terrorists rose.

3. Police Regulations - It still isn't the US's job even if they did have WMD's or even if the US thought it could set up a new government. UN approval, IMHO, is still necessary.

1. I really don't give a shit what you believe because it doesn't change the fact that they had them and a shitload of other stuff that you probably have never even heard of. And North Korea has shut down their nuclear operations, and we have a lot of soldiers there.
Actually, I doubt you know really anything about why we're actually at war in Iraq. I know there are things that I've been left out of, a lot of stuff I don't know. Recently President Bush called all of the candidates together and told them to be careful what they're going to promise in their campaign speeches, because they have no idea what they're really talking about. Every morning the President gets a little packet that summarizes all of the intelligence we've gathered since his last report, and until they see what's in that packet they don't know what they can promise. They'll try to play hero and be like OH YEAH WE'LL GET OUT AS SOON AS I GET IN, and then they get in and realize that the moment we leave some terrorist cell is going to launch a nuke at us or something, his plans are going to change. While we're over there, you're safe. When we leave, we don't know what the hell's going to happen because we can't respond to it very fast.

2. Have they? Well, as I've not heard about the US being attacked recently (being the central fighting force against terrorism), I don't see how that's much of a problem for us.

3. UN did approve it, so that one's knocked out. Thus NATO forces being sent there for a while. Besides, the UN doesn't have to approve it because there's not obligation we agreed to that doesn't allow us to declare war. The UN is not a governing factor over the choices of the US or any of the other members in it. If we want to do whatever we want, they can't do anything about it unless it goes against what we agreed to uphold (which does not include never going to war, or as you call it 'policing other nations') unless they want to vote to kick us out.
And yes, if Iraq refuses to fulfill their legal obligations according to international resolutions and treaties that they agreed to, it's our job to make them do it.

All you do is repeat the same thing over and over, and every time someone tells you what's actually going on with it, and every time you ignore them. Iraq has NOTHING to do with 9/11, so stop bringing it up.

stubs101

Reaction score
(Off Topic)
I remember reading a political book, Where have all the leaders gone, by Lee Iococoa (Not sure if I spelled it wrong) and he stated that because Saudi had oil, we were just letting them have the slip. When like 11/15 or something of the people who invaded on 9/11 were Saudi, we passed them up on investigations, but searched into the other 4, and it kinda pisses me off. Varine, you hear about this?

(On topic)
hahaha I remember this being a conspiracy thread lol...
Anyway, last and final position is that U.S. had nothing to do with it other than weird numbers+weird numbers and didn't take enough security measures...

Varine

Reaction score
(Off Topic)
I remember reading a political book, Where have all the leaders gone, by Lee Iococoa (Not sure if I spelled it wrong) and he stated that because Saudi had oil, we were just letting them have the slip. When like 11/15 or something of the people who invaded on 9/11 were Saudi, we passed them up on investigations, but searched into the other 4, and it kinda pisses me off. Varine, you hear about this?

(On topic)
hahaha I remember this being a conspiracy thread lol...
Anyway, last and final position is that U.S. had nothing to do with it other than weird numbers+weird numbers and didn't take enough security measures...

Yes, I've heard about the Saudi thing. But, as far as I know, our relationship with the House of Saud is pretty good, although I wouldn't argue that the major contributing factor to that is oil. We were allied (kind of) during the Cold War against communism, although I think Rice said that Washington wants them to be more democratic. We do have issues with them because of our better alliance with Israel, as Jews and Muslims don't seem to like each other too much, and 9/11 did put a lot of strain on it. We didn't really 'pass them up,' but we probably didn't take to them with as hostile of an attitude we did with the others.
It would be kind of like the hijackers coming from Brazil or Japan or something (I don't know about our relations with them, but as far as I know it's not good but it's not too bad). I would say Canada for reasons of being easy, but US-Canadian relations are about the best you'll find anywhere so it doesn't work as well.
Anyway, say the hijackers came from Brazil. Because of our relations with them being okay, and we're pretty sure they don't take great advocation to terrorism, we probably won't give them too much blame for it. It's the choice of the individual, and that's all there is to it. Saudi Arabia can't help that the person came from their country (although if they pressured or threatened them in to it, that would be different), just like we can't help it if our citizens want to go join Al' Qaeda or some terrorist group, which has happened.
People seem to just assume since they're in the Middle East and 'Arab' and majority Islam, that means we hate them and they're probably terrorists, just like Mormons are probably polygamists (which they aren't).

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.