Sci/Tech A Computer Constructed From a Consortium of Live Crabs

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
If biomimicry is the instance of technology emulating natural processes, then this must be something like the opposite: researchers at Kobe University have built a computer out of crabs. Placed within a geometrically constrained environment, swarms of soldier crabs can be effectively used to emulate logic gates. In other words, researchers have replicated the fundamental workings of a computer--with crabs.

When two swarms of crabs meet in motion, they tend to compromise by merging and continuing on in a direction that is the sum of the two swarms’ velocities, and this is where the computing comes in. The researchers built a system of channels in an environment that funnel the crabs along, like electrons flowing through a computer (they are prodded along by a fake bird shadow that is cast from overhead). Using a group of 40 real soldier crabs, the researchers tried to cajole the group into acting like a logic gate.

Last edited by a moderator:

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Some folks are in DIRE need of female companionship! Nevertheless pretty cool, I love it how you can theoretically make a computer out pretty much anything with two states, an input, and an output :p

SouLEDGE

Damn you advanced calculus
Reaction score
Sounds pretty cool, but I have doubts about keeping a crab-powered computer in my pocket...
Men know what a zipper can to do you... wouldn't want the crabs getting any ideas :D

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Who funds these sorts of things? Crab computers? When could that ever be an idea worth spending money on?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats much better then spending money on good sample sizes of children hearing voices.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.