A few WarCraft Tips

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
Introduction
Recently I started playing WarCraft III (The Frozen Throne) again. Not something serious, but from time to time I would log in a play a bit. Anyway, I never saw a thread with tips about dear WarCraft, so I thought I would just write few basic things down and let you read and comment. Enjoy.

Base

Workers - You should always have at least between nine to eleven workers. At least five should collect gold, and the others should harvest wood, this way you get enough resources, but you still have enough food for your army. If you want, you can save the last worker as a builder, although most of the times it isn’t the best choice to do so. Also note that when playing Humans or Orcs (and even Night Elves) workers can take a rule in defending your base when it is under attack.

Distance - It is very important to keep your buildings not too close, else units would get stuck and wouldn’t be able to move. However, having the buildings too far from each other would make your base too big and it would be hard to defend it in case of an attack.

Guarding Towers - Each race has at least one guarding tower, use them! They are very strong and can hold your enemies in case of an attack until your army can come and defend it. The only units that can destroy towers alone are siege units (Mortar team, etc.), but they are quite weak, so you can destroy them easily in case the enemy bring some of those.

More Bases - The fact that you start with only one base doesn’t mean you can’t have more! It is warmly suggested that you have several bases so you could collect resources faster, and in case your first base is ruined you have a back up.

Build - All buildings have a role, so build as many buildings as you can. Even if the building seems useless to you, other building may need it in order to be built. Also every unit has its weakness, having many unit types would great a very powerful army.

Heroes

Many Heroes - Many times I see players that play with only one hero. If you ask me this is a huge mistake, heroes are the most powerful units in the game, and they are not expensive by far from others. Heroes can carry items and use powerful spells, and they are much stronger the most units. The more heroes the better.

Items - Pick every item that you can, there is no such this as useless items. In case you slots are over use potions to open new slots. If you don’t have potions and the slots are all taken the make sure you drop the items IN YOUR BASE so the enemy could not take them. If you happen to have siege units, then you can destroy items (by attacking the ground they are on). Also, note that each hero has a main attribute, for example the Paladin’s is strength, but the Blade Master’s is agility. Think about that when giving to a hero an item.

Creeps - While it is good to kill creeps for experience, it is more efficient, and more rewarding, to kill enemy units for experience. Also, you should always remember that after you have reached level 5 creeps don’t give you experience any more.

Kill Heroes - Heroes are the strongest units, not only that, but in battles they get even stronger by leveling. Always try to kill the enemy heroes first, it can effect the battle greatly. Also it takes more time to revive hero then to create a new unit, and, it is usually more expensive.

Units

Ranged - I frequently see players make this problem, and it’s not building ranged units. Now that is a huge problem, say you play Orcs and you build a huge mass of Taurens, that’s cool, you can probably destroy my base within seconds. But what if I build a few flying units? How are you going to fight them? True Taurens are very strong, but they can’t attack flying units, and you will be doomed to lose until you build some range units!

Flying - Exactly because of the reason stated above you need to create flying units, not all units can damage flying units, so it gives you a great advantage if the enemy is concentrating on melee units..

Different Units - You need to have different kinds of units in your army, each unit has weakness and advantages. For example Grunts can take a lot of damage but they are pricey, they are not ranged units, and finally they are a bit slow. So yes, Grunts are great to do one thing, but you can build a whole army out of Grunts, you’ll lose. This is why we have many other unit types, the more unit types you have, the better!

Small Armies - Another thing that I see is players building huge armies. If you ask me, you can’t do something worst then that. I prefer smaller armies that are upgraded and made of better units. Why? First of all it is easier to control 12 units then 20, you can keep 12 units in the same group, while when having 20 you have to split them. Also creating huge armies is slower then building smaller ones that are upgraded.

Siege - I can’t say this enough times. Build siege units, you have absolutely no chance to invade a well built base without siege units to take down the towers and the production buildings. Not only that but you need lots of siege units, else it would be too slow. Have three to six siege units (I usually go with four or five) and attack towers from distance, while guarding the siege units with the rest of your army.

Strong Base - There is one rule you must always remember. The defender has an advantage. Why? The most obvious reason is that fact that the defender has towers in his base. Also units that he creates get to him faster. But not only that, each race has a different defending mechanism that makes him much stronger. Humans have Militia, Orcs have burrows, Night Elves have wells, and Undeads have cheap towers and cheap, fast built fighters. That is why when attacking you always want to draw your enemy out of the base and when defending not move a inch out of it.

Healings - Another very important aspect of the game is healing. A well built army will always have healing back-ups. It’s like adding to your units hit points, it makes them much harder to be killed. When playing with humans you get the Paladin, but more importantly the priests. Orcs got the Shdaow Hunter and Witch Doctor. Night Elves have Druid of the Claw and Undeads have Death Knight. But those are not enough, they heal slowly usually have their mana can run out. That is why you should always carry some items to heal your army, or it would vanish very quickly. If you are playing in a Multiplayer game with allies, and you know one of them have good healing units (Priests an Druids of the Claw) ask them to create more of these.

Strategies

Creep - The usual strategy when playing Single Player, you go around and kill all creeps you can find to level, until your hero/es are high level and your army is big enough, and then you go and attack your enemies. I personally don’t like that strategy, it is too slow and too many mistakes can be done. Also if someone uses the Rush strategy against you (Multiplayer game) it is a hard blow.

Rush - My favorite strategy. There are several variations. The first one is to pick a hero (usually a Blade Master or a Far Seer) and go to one of the enemy’s bases and do some damage. This is not very efficient since you will do minimal damage and almost always run a way. The better variation in my taste is to take a hero and two to four units and then go attack, while keep building units in your base and sending them to help attacking. Usually you will find you enemies surprised and many times I won in fifteen minutes with this strategy.

Towers - Best done with Orcs. You don’t build anything in the start but about 20 peons and few burrows. You put five on gold mine, and six or seven on wood and send the rest of the peons by one of your enemy’s base. Then you start building towers. Start from a distance, and then slowly near. Doing this well will result an enemy base surrounded with hostile towers, that will begin attacking it. You need lots of luck in this strategy, but I saw (rarely) players doing it and winning.

Tips

Rally-Flag - By pointing a building’s Rally-Flag to a unit, all units that will be created from that building will go to that unit wherever he is and if he died, then to location he died at. This can be great by pointing a Rally-Flag at one of your heroes, this way you don’t have to worry about your troops getting to your army, they will automatically move.

That is it for now ladies and (mostly) gentleman, just a little guide made, it will probably be updated in the future, especially the tips chapter, I hope you had fun, all comments are more then welcomed.

Monovertex

Formerly Smith_S9
Reaction score
IMO, these tips are rather good in campaign or against computer players... In B.net, a game usually doesn't takes longer than 10 minutes and you can;t get to build more than one base or upgrade too much...

juty

Zoom out problems look smaller
Reaction score
BRAVO that was very good I liked it and learnt quite a few things I don’t play many quick matches but I am thinking about doing it more often.:D

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
> Smith_S9

It really depends on the players an the amount of players there are. I had game of five minutes, and I had games of over an hour an a half.

> juty

Thanks for your kind comment. :)

Edit:

> Ninja_sheep

No.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Actually, you can destroy items just by attacking them.

This guide is like a concise version of the strategy guide on Battle.net, got the best points down and is easy to read.
Updating it would be good :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.