A History Tale [Image Heavy]

Kershbob

Reaction score
Make Taoism have the effect that research is slowed and income is reduced but you get some sort of civilization related bonus.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Make it so that Christianity expands your country faster, because in the past they used Jesuits.

PS someone said not to have stereotypes like Jewish gets 10% income bonus. Well, actually, in the past the Jewish religion was the only religion that permitted working as a banker or lawyer or any of those stereotypical jobs. Of course that isn't true to today, but in the past it was.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Just because not many people are in it doesn't mean you can make fun of it. I agree, that Scientology is silly, and that people won't get pissed off, but it's unfair to make fun of 1 religion and not the rest.

Except for scientology, that is. =D (sorry, I had to.)

Anywho, back to the league of nations, setreal; in real life, their main purpose is to prevent war and keep the peace, right? So I was thinking that:
First: There should be an election every (X) minutes. This way, people that the Chairman helped will be likely to vote for them again, or if they didn't do anything then they will most likely not be elected again. An impeachment sort of process should also be available.

Second: The main goal of the Chairman would be to prevent fighting; however, words have never done much to dissuade warring nations, so they would need an army. I know, the UN doesn't have an army, but that's why they're worthless. If players that attended the League were to "donate" some of their units to the League, then those units could be used specifically to help defend a nation under attack. They wouldn't be able to go far from the City they were defending, but they would provide help defending the City and hopefully subdue any attack on it. Because they can only defend, people may be inclined to "donate" more of the units, so as to amass a great army to keep them from being destroyed. However, since it will only be optional and not necessary to donate units, it will not (hopefully) be overpowered.You could also make it so they simply give resources, instead, in which case the League would be able to make special units to help defend the world, that are unique to the League alone.

Third: There would be a point system that the Chairman works toward; they would get points by doing things to benefit the other nations, such as defending them against invading forces. Any death of League-appointed units would result in negative points for that Chairman, but if there is no fighting for a time then they will recieve negative points. Longer periods of peace-time would result in a greater number of points recieved, while longer periods of war-time would result in a greater number of points deducted. There could also be other bonuses than merely peace-time, such as a set number of units that have to be donated: if there are fewer units donated, there would be negative points, more units donated would grant more points, and the exact number of necessary unit donations would result in no points added or deducted.

Fourth: As per your original idea, being chairman will present an opportunity to win. Once you achieve a certain number of points as chairman, you would automatically be declared the victor. You would keep your points between the times that you are elected and the times when you're simply a member of the League, and you should have the option of not being a member of the meetings as well.

Additional notes: Because you would win, it may be harder to get re-elected as Chairman if you are nearing the number of points necessary to achieve victory. Thusly, it may a good idea to add in some computer votes, one for each additional City that is not the capital of a Nation, as well. If the computers had set personalities, such as a warring personality or an anti-war personality, then one would vote for the most violent or biggest-army holding nation, while the other would vote for the nation that has done the least fighting. Some could be neutral, as well, and merely base their decisions upon the past Chairmans' performances. This would give the Chairman with the most points a better chance to get re-elected, since the players likely won't vote for him, and also force other players to vote more strategically than just for themselves.
There could be more things that the Chairman could do, such as arranging trades between nations, whether they're with technologies, units or resources/resource providing objects (if applicable). You could really make the League a big part of late-game play and strategy, changing the entire game's mechanics in that age, just as the entire world as changed in the age of our UN.
It may be interesting to make it so that if the league deploys some of its available army at a City, then it must deploy them all there. That way, a player invading someone's country may be attacked by a lesser force at their capital, have the League provide reinforcements, and then send the bulk of their army at a different city controlled by that nation, or even the city of someone else. That way, if someone else gets attacked by a main force and the League can't help them, then they'd refuse to elect that player as Chairman from there on out. Not only would this provide the Chairman with more responsibility, but it would add an excellent aspect of intense scheming and deception between players, which would add more realism to the game.

At the moment, that's all that comes to mind; however, I'll keep thinking on it to see if there's anything I missed. I hope you like this idea, bud, because it took me FOREVER to write. :p

Turnip

Reaction score
Ugh, I have to start the terrain over. I wanted to just start small to get it set first, then extend the map size. Well complications arised when I made it bigger, and I have to restart the terrain.

Void

Reaction score
How many times must you people be warned? don't use wc3 water for rivers, USE FLATTENED WATERFALL DOODADS -_-
Good anyways though.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Oh man.

Ugh, I have to start the terrain over. I wanted to just start small to get it set first, then extend the map size. Well complications arised when I made it bigger, and I have to restart the terrain.

Two words, turnip my friend: Ha. Ha.
But seriously, keep it up, don't let one mishap discourage you. I believe in you, homie.

Psiblade94122

In need of sleep
Reaction score
redoing stuff from scratch is all a part of warcraft mapmakeing, dont worry about it and keep up the good work.

we feel your pain

S

Setreal

Don't be discouraged I'm sure it'll work out fine in the end.

Fatmankev - Definitely going to keep your ideas for the League of Nations wonder in mind as you already know.

Turnip

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't made much progress on the terrain, I've had alot of stuff to do. Now I can work on it 100%. Here are some screenshots of what I have so far. (Yes, one small uncomplete island.) The HUGE open space of water in the middle will be filled with a giant, main island later-on. I hope this terrain is okay Setreal. Since the units will be small, the islands will appear to look bigger. If you don't like what I have so far, I can change it.

C

Cookie

wow... this looks like the coolest map ive ever seen! Welldone on the idea and creativity that drives this map. Its by far, one of the best maps ive ever seen made in world editor, well done. If you need any help terraining, I would love to help turnip, if he gets stuck, or is busy, or just wants me to help :D Keep up the good work :p !!!

S

Setreal

Big update to the first post. Check it out!

It seems my terrainer has dropped out and so I need someone willing to fill in the position (and work from scratch unfortunately). If interested post here, pm me, im me, etc.

As always I'm open to any and all criticism, ideas, etc.

Parsimony

Reaction score
This seems like a map I could play all day and still discover something new when I play it the next day. I really hope this finishes.

Oh, and I think you shouldn't make the map too big. Judging from the heavily detailed screenshots, He probably got frustrated that he was gonna have to make a map that good that big. You know, detail proportion. Or something like that.

Kershbob

Reaction score
For Buddhism you should allow them an ability relating to pacifism, such as target players research and income is reduced but all your military units are unable to attack for the duration.

Pied

Reaction score
Huge bump.

But I was thinking of making a strategy map, and then I rembered this one. This one has potential to become one of the best strategy maps out there I think. Would be to bad if the total project was dropped. So any news on this one?

Thank you.

Advena

Just casually observing atm ;)
Reaction score
Oogh.. so much to read :p (don't get me wrong, I love reading I just don't have the time atm)
This looks positively awesome! +rep for just taking on a project this huge, and for seemingly making it end up very good as well ;)

Keep up the good work :thup: :thup: :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.