A History Tale [Image Heavy]

S

Setreal

First off, looks like one of the greatest maps. Better than Dota! (Although that's not hard to accomplish...no offence Dota fans. =P ) I always wanted to play a game like this, and if its finished, I finnaly can. =P

I am interested in being a terrainer. I was a terrainer for another map, but the author never responded. If you want, I can create a sample terrain for you to look at.

Sure that'd be great. You have AIM or MSN so we can talk?

I'm willing to help in anyway possible by the way.

Since it's not time for testing yet the best help I could get is some ideas for the stuff I posted on page one.

I'm....

WAITING FOR THIS!

I love the idea :D

Thanks for the support.

Eleanor over at the hive gave this suggestion:

You could give certain religions a sort of "Event" (as I don't have a better word for it) advantage.
By this I mean something like
Christians being able to start a crusade against non-christian players. If you initiate a crusade, you are forcing an alliance with all other christian players, must pay a certain amount of money (and maybe population too) and get a small "crusader" army. This army will have the ability of hiring "Civilisation-unique" units by moving to a city of the civilisation. Finally, you must select a target city and destroy it.
Disadvantage: cities can't have banks, decreasing the income of christian cities.
You must have the Hindu religion in order to adopt the "Caste" system, which would allow slavery and thus increasing wealth in your cities
Jews: Advantage: can have banks in their cities, increasing income.

just random ideas that popped up...

I'm definitely going to implement this and should have a good deal of freedom in making these events as I'm going to just make up religions. I'd appreciate any ideas for these kind of events as well of course.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Research you are unable to get at the moment shouldn't even be visible. For example if you are in the 1800s, you shouldn't see a grey icon for Automobile that says Requires -some intellect. Once you get some intellect though, it should appear and you should be able to research it.
There's not a real big point to that, just there for more realism/aesthetics/more strategy.

Maybe you can choose were some funding goes, like, more funding toward residential (more pop), funding toward industrial (faster research) or toward military (bigger army/more powerful army). Basic things like that.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Nice Map, Keep up the good work. Though, it looks a bit complicated for the 90% of the n00b population of Battle.Net.

S

Setreal

Research you are unable to get at the moment shouldn't even be visible. For example if you are in the 1800s, you shouldn't see a grey icon for Automobile that says Requires -some intellect. Once you get some intellect though, it should appear and you should be able to research it.
There's not a real big point to that, just there for more realism/aesthetics/more strategy.

Maybe you can choose were some funding goes, like, more funding toward residential (more pop), funding toward industrial (faster research) or toward military (bigger army/more powerful army). Basic things like that.

I don't think I'm going to be doing either of these. For one I want all researches laid out so people can see what requires what and plan accordingly. As for the funding thing I've seen that in strategy type maps before and wasn't a big fan. Instead of balancing funding around you work towards what you want. Research not fast enough? Go for an academy etc. This is especially true since the player will have multiple cities and constantly altering the funding for each one would be ridiculous (in maps with funding it is always one city I believe). Thanks for the ideas though.

Nice Map, Keep up the good work. Though, it looks a bit complicated for the 90% of the n00b population of Battle.Net.

It's amazing how some of the people on bnet can even remember their password.

This is obviously something I'm worried about. When it comes time to testing we'll see how friendly the map is for pubbies.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
This is obviously something I'm worried about. When it comes time to testing we'll see how friendly the map is for pubbies.
I made a town builder style of map once.

It was pretty simple, everything was described on how to do things, even though it was pretty simple.
Build a building, and you can build units. Income came every 30 seconds, it was the same for everyone.

'omg how do i play this game'
'this game isnt like dota im leaving ur a noob'
'way to rip off of footman wars, noob >.>'

Of course it isn't going to be like dota.
And it wasn't even like footman wars at all, in no way it was like it. And those are pretty accurate quotes of some of the people I have met on bnet, theyu weren't joking either.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Well my idea was kinda federal government funding, so it would be general for all the cities o_O

And the not-being-able-to-see-research idea (dun ask about the hyphens I don't know either :p) I liked it... but it's your map I guess.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
How bout researching is free normally, as its presumed the government pays for it, but research originally goes really slowly, but if you want it to go faster you can build private academies and give them funding to speed up research?

S

Setreal

I made a town builder style of map once.

It was pretty simple, everything was described on how to do things, even though it was pretty simple.
Build a building, and you can build units. Income came every 30 seconds, it was the same for everyone.

'omg how do i play this game'
'this game isnt like dota im leaving ur a noob'
'way to rip off of footman wars, noob >.>'

Of course it isn't going to be like dota.
And it wasn't even like footman wars at all, in no way it was like it. And those are pretty accurate quotes of some of the people I have met on bnet, theyu weren't joking either.

I can only imagine.

How bout researching is free normally, as its presumed the government pays for it, but research originally goes really slowly, but if you want it to go faster you can build private academies and give them funding to speed up research?

Ironically enough this is basically how research works already. You research normally for free (though it takes a bit) and can build academies (which can be upgraded) to speed up the time it takes.

Well my idea was kinda federal government funding, so it would be general for all the cities o_O

And the not-being-able-to-see-research idea (dun ask about the hyphens I don't know either :p) I liked it... but it's your map I guess.

I'd still rather not implement the funding things. Thanks for putting your ideas out there though.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Just a suggestion

One of my favorite aspects of the civilization games was the tax system, as well as the ability to utilize those funds gained in different ways. I know that you already have income, so may I suggest that you modify it and change it to taxes, and the amount of taxes you get be relative to the population and overall wealth of your city? I don't know if this will work with your map, so it's merely a hopeful suggestion. :rolleyes:
Another idea (although by the looks of all the flaming toward "pubbies," which is a word I'm not familiar with but will assume means retards, this idea may be too complicated to grasp) is to institute a sort of inflation system. If you had the time and patience to make the cities very realistic, by giving them different forms of commerce such as blacksmiths, marketplaces, and the like, then this could add an interesting twist to your game.
As far as the religions go, it is not your problem whether one religion is better than another. People who have a problem with this should realize that it is merely a game, and that there would be no point in getting one religion later on in the game than another if they were all completely balanced. My suggestion, since it seems that you are trying to stay (relatively) historically accurate, is to simply use real religions. If you still feel badly about it, perhaps you could go with religions in the same way civilization does; research certain technologies, and eventually you will be able to research a certain religion. That way, you will be able to balance all of the religions, but people will be building toward a certain religion from the beginning of the game, and will most likely not change it until much later.
As for ideas on abilities of the heroes, I've done a little bit of reasearch on Richard the Lionheart, and made one, overall discovery - he was a dick. You may want to focus his skills around his cruelty because, the despite the complimentary title, the only lionheart bravery that he had was used to destroy anyone that he loathed. I'm sorry, but in my reading, I couldn't come up with a good idea for any of his skills.
I would love to help test this map. If you feel like any of my input has been helpful or at least insightful in any way, please contact me via AIM (if you have it) as HungryHungryKev. This seems like a great idea, and I truly hope you can finish it. Good luck.

S

Setreal

One of my favorite aspects of the civilization games was the tax system, as well as the ability to utilize those funds gained in different ways. I know that you already have income, so may I suggest that you modify it and change it to taxes, and the amount of taxes you get be relative to the population and overall wealth of your city? I don't know if this will work with your map, so it's merely a hopeful suggestion. :rolleyes:
Another idea (although by the looks of all the flaming toward "pubbies," which is a word I'm not familiar with but will assume means retards, this idea may be too complicated to grasp) is to institute a sort of inflation system. If you had the time and patience to make the cities very realistic, by giving them different forms of commerce such as blacksmiths, marketplaces, and the like, then this could add an interesting twist to your game.
As far as the religions go, it is not your problem whether one religion is better than another. People who have a problem with this should realize that it is merely a game, and that there would be no point in getting one religion later on in the game than another if they were all completely balanced. My suggestion, since it seems that you are trying to stay (relatively) historically accurate, is to simply use real religions. If you still feel badly about it, perhaps you could go with religions in the same way civilization does; research certain technologies, and eventually you will be able to research a certain religion. That way, you will be able to balance all of the religions, but people will be building toward a certain religion from the beginning of the game, and will most likely not change it until much later.
As for ideas on abilities of the heroes, I've done a little bit of reasearch on Richard the Lionheart, and made one, overall discovery - he was a dick. You may want to focus his skills around his cruelty because, the despite the complimentary title, the only lionheart bravery that he had was used to destroy anyone that he loathed. I'm sorry, but in my reading, I couldn't come up with a good idea for any of his skills.
I would love to help test this map. If you feel like any of my input has been helpful or at least insightful in any way, please contact me via AIM (if you have it) as HungryHungryKev. This seems like a great idea, and I truly hope you can finish it. Good luck.

Long one eh. Let's go point by point.

1) I like the idea of linking population to income, but I'm not sure about making it taxes. If I did use taxes it would probably be a global tax and not per city as I don't want too much micromanagement.

2) Inflation is more suited towards the strategy maps that let you control every minuscule aspect of your civilization and isn't really something I want to add in.

3) Currently to unlock religions you need to research certain technologies. There is also a wonder that unlocks all religions. Unlike civilization though each religion is not the same and some are bound to be better than others. I might just go ahead and use real-life religions at first and if I get a negative reaction switch to fake ones.

Thanks for the ideas and comments. Feel free to IM me any time at tivrames if you want to talk about the map (I'm on right now in fact).

Kershbob

Reaction score
About the religion thing. I'm sure if you don't stereotype (extra income for Jewish >_>) and include most world religions you aren't going to offend anyone.

Maybe describe the benefits as minimal and only being personal preference? I like the Crusade thing but I'd probably be sitting in my town building houses and being Taoist.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Not to mention the only thing religion seems to bring is war.
What has any religion benefited to society?

I'd think you'd better just go right ahead to the whole fake religion thing, I'm all for real religions, but people were complaining about Miziuo's map, and religion is even more touchy than Iraq stuff. So to save yourself some trouble, do the fake religions.

WindexGlow

Reaction score
Religion helped make america
Religion helped make guidelines that people follow.

And what's going in iraq is caused by 2 religion parties, one murders the other much more though.
But I do agree with elmsfreddie, I would just make up fake religions. People on bnet have a hard time grasping things don't exist though =[

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Religion helped make america
Religion helped make guidelines that people follow.

I could argue that but my comment wasn't supposed to start a fight, it was supposed to say that religion mostly has negative affects (WWII as an example of a really bad affect) and if you give negative affects to someone's religion they will get pissed off.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
and if you give negative affects to someone's religion they will get pissed off.

You could just use religions that nobody really follows any more such as Paganism, so that way the number of people who get pissed off would be minimal. That or you could just include scientology as the worst "religion" and I'm sure that you could get away with that...

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Just because not many people are in it doesn't mean you can make fun of it. I agree, that Scientology is silly, and that people won't get pissed off, but it's unfair to make fun of 1 religion and not the rest.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
Just because not many people are in it doesn't mean you can make fun of it. I agree, that Scientology is silly, and that people won't get pissed off, but it's unfair to make fun of 1 religion and not the rest.

I suppose you're right elmst.

S

Setreal

As I said earlier I'm just going to use real religions and if there's a problem I'll switch them out. Also let's try and not derail this into an argument over the positives and negatives of religion. Be constructive, give ideas! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New recipe is another summer dessert Berry and Peach Cheesecake - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-berry-and-peach-cheesecake.194169/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.