A Newb @ Battle.net

Extremedesyr

Reaction score
Heya, I have just joined battle.net and my first impression is that it is very noobunfriendly, the normal games are very hard and the custom games either dont work 9\10 times, or first the host starts throwing unkown phrases at you and then u get kicked. well, I know what NO DL means, but how the fk am I supposed to join when I am a noob > I do not have the custom map he wants me to have!? So, any suggestions or whatever would be welcome :confused:

oh PS I have the expansion and if any1 needs beta testers i'm in cuz im bored to death

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just keep playing and you will eventually learn the phrases and how to play a map well. I think I started out with TDs. DotA is probably the most noob-unfriendly game. Most people don't let you download it either.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Heya, I have just joined battle.net and my first impression is that it is very noobunfriendly, the normal games are very hard and the custom games either dont work 9\10 times, or first the host starts throwing unkown phrases at you and then u get kicked. well, I know what NO DL means, but how the fk am I supposed to join when I am a noob > I do not have the custom map he wants me to have!? So, any suggestions or whatever would be welcome :confused:

oh PS I have the expansion and if any1 needs beta testers i'm in cuz im bored to death
Since wc3 is dying out, there isn't a wide of a range of players anymore, so normal wc3 is rough to start out with. Find a good AT partner, play RT or play against\with comps and watch replays to get better, maybe try and get advice from somebody who is good at it.

As for custom games, I would try downloading any games you want to play from Mapgnome ahead of time. Some people like some versions better than others, and mapgnome shows how much they are played.

You might also consider reading the many hosting tutorials on this site to learn how to host. I advise putting "noobs only" in the title when you host; that way people will know what to expect and you'll get players your level more often. (As long as you don't mind admitting you're not too got at many games yet)

As for unknown phrases, you can post them here and I'll try to help with those.

Jackal

You can change this now in User CP... or Die Tryin
Reaction score
There are some fairly basic games that you can try. Castle Fight is a good one, you can even play it on single-player and get to know how to play because there is Artificial Intelligence you can play against. It is basically a game where you build buildings that automatically produce units that go to attack your enemy's base and whatever unit that stands in their way.

Footman Wars/Frenzy is also fairly simple. It is a game where footmen are spawned every few seconds at your base and you control them along with a hero you pick at the beginning and fight the enemy. Each unit you kill gives you money and you can use the money to upgrade your units' damage/armour or upgrade your units into something better (e.g Archers -> Huntresses). You only really need to be decent at using Heroes, which you can pick up from playing standard Warcraft III.

There are also some hardcore mass and spam units maps like Azeroth Wars and Dark Ages of Warcraft (DaoW) that are quite fun, although if they go on for too long they can get a bit boring. This sub-genre is quite hard to start in, although you can start in Azeroth Wars as green (Quel'Thalas) without many problems because you're fairly safe from any enemies, have allies to help, and creating archers solely is one of the most basic way of armies you can get in that game.

You could always try out Tower Defenses, which you'll probably screw up on when you first try it, but after that you'll know exactly what to do. The only problem with that genre is that it isn't the most challenging or exciting type of game you can play.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Just keep playing and you will eventually learn the phrases and how to play a map well. I think I started out with TDs. DotA is probably the most noob-unfriendly game. Most people don't let you download it either.

Word.

If your looking for a good game, here are a few ones.

Footmen Frenzy (kinda old. Not sure last time it was updated, but still fun to play)
Hands of Sorrow Knight (HoSK. Kinda like DotA, but better (and less hosted)
Strife in the Plaguelands (very fun spawn-based map. Make sure the version is 4.5 Proper.)
Green TD (pretty good TD map. Very easy to master)
Dark Ages of Warcraft (This, is an EXTREMELY fun map to play. I used to play this all the time.)

Those are the games I normally play (When I play...).

Also, check out Epic War and The Hive Workshop for new map downloads
http://epicwar.com/maps/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/news.php

Hive is also a great place for different models, skins, systems, spells and more.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Most maps on wc3 that are worth downloading can usually be found online via google.

If you want to play DotA (can be downloaded online), I would suggest finding a friend to teach you, as it is hard to get into that custom game. Footmen Frenzy is very outdated (and the new revisions keep getting worse), although it is still fun if you happen to get a good game going (can be downloaded online). TBR (the black road) 2.0 is a fun RPG type game(can be downloaded online). Also, if you find any TD's, they are generally worth a shot, especially ones like Wintermaul One (can be downloaded online), Green TD, and Element TD (can be downloaded online). Out of the TD's I think Ele TD is my personal favorite, as it is very well balanced and has some cool mechanics.

I hope you have some more fun with wc3. I think you have gotten quite unlucky, because most new people on wc3 have a better experience than that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.