Ability Basics and Questions

Monictor

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am in the ability making phase of my game now, and I have some questions about making abilities. General question is do I need JASS for a lot of ability affects? It seems like you can do a lot of cool abilities with the normal GUI, but here goes.

1. Can you make triggers affected by unit buffs?
Ex: Unit has Brilliance aura buff, makes ability being cast’s damage 100 instead of 90.

2. Will an aura like Command affect triggered abilities that do normal damage type? Can Vampire aura affect triggered physical damage if attack type is set to normal?

3. How would you make a custom ability like Channel have buff/debuff effects on targets and create the debuff animation? Are buff effects determined only by the spell that made them? Is there a way to make triggers that affect buffs?

4. How come whenever I customize the Channel spell it never shows up on my unit’s buttons? What do I have to be aware of while giving units abilities? I've also experienced using one ability, but having another that is kind of similar trigger and go off instead, but this isn't too important.

5. I have disabled move and attack functions on a unit. There are no button actions besides abilities I give them. How do I hide abilities that I want autocasted and unable to be touched?

6. How can you make a targetable area effect damage attack like breath of fire and shockwave only targetable on a unit, and not on the ground? Also how do you trigger damage areas like them? I know of the trigger that does damage to units in a circular area, but not sure how to do different shapes.

7. Special effects. Big topic. I have seen many customized abilities on youtube and in games, and I have an idea of how to do many of them, however I tried one and it didn’t work. I tried a simple one that made the unit cast a shockwave type ability in 8 different directions. What I did was create dummy units at a point along 0 45 90 135 180 225 270 315 360 degrees, with a short distance. I fixed each in a variable right after the action to create them. Then I ordered the casting unit to cast tauren chieftain shockwave on the position of each of the dummies. This didn’t work. Any idea why and what a working trigger would look like? Furthermore, how would I make a special effect damage units? Say if I didn’t want to use the Shockwave ability and threw some wisp in a line, which then damages units it gets close to.

Thanks for any clarification.

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am in the ability making phase of my game now, and I have some questions about making abilities. General question is do I need JASS for a lot of ability affects? It seems like you can do a lot of cool abilities with the normal GUI, but here goes.
you can do a lot of stuff with GUI... you can make whatever you do with GUI better with JASS

1. Can you make triggers affected by unit buffs?
Ex: Unit has Brilliance aura buff, makes ability being cast’s damage 100 instead of 90.
yes.. if the unit already has the buff, triggers can detect it and then you can do whatever with the unit...

2. Will an aura like Command affect triggered abilities that do normal damage type? no Can Vampire aura affect triggered physical damage if attack type is set to normal?
no

3. How would you make a custom ability like Channel have buff/debuff effects on targets and create the debuff animation? Are buff effects determined only by the spell that made them? Is there a way to make triggers that affect buffs?
when you make an ability, you can set the buff to whatever you want, even create a custom buff... but triggers can't add buff to units.. dummy units can or actual units can...

4. How come whenever I customize the Channel spell it never shows up on my unit’s buttons? What do I have to be aware of while giving units abilities? I've also experienced using one ability, but having another that is kind of similar trigger and go off instead, but this isn't too important.

5. I have disabled move and attack functions on a unit. There are no button actions besides abilities I give them. How do I hide abilities that I want autocasted and unable to be touched?

spell book, or make the ability item ability and give it to the hero.. you won't see the icon, but the abilities will still have an effect on the unit

6. How can you make a targetable area effect damage attack like breath of fire and shockwave only targetable on a unit, and not on the ground? Also how do you trigger damage areas like them? I know of the trigger that does damage to units in a circular area, but not sure how to do different shapes.

you can only do circular area or atleast that I know of... unless you know JASS... that's advanced JASS

7. Special effects. Big topic. I have seen many customized abilities on youtube and in games, and I have an idea of how to do many of them, however I tried one and it didn’t work. I tried a simple one that made the unit cast a shockwave type ability in 8 different directions. What I did was create dummy units at a point along 0 45 90 135 180 225 270 315 360 degrees, with a short distance. I fixed each in a variable right after the action to create them. Then I ordered the casting unit to cast tauren chieftain shockwave on the position of each of the dummies. This didn’t work. Any idea why and what a working trigger would look like? Furthermore, how would I make a special effect damage units? Say if I didn’t want to use the Shockwave ability and threw some wisp in a line, which then damages units it gets close to.

i already have this ability.. where the tauren shoots out 3/6/9 shockwaves, one in each direction... the trigger is pretty simple.. post what you have and we can correct it from there...
most the of stuff like wisp in a line and such can be done.. you have to play around with it... some is easy, some is hard, and some don't even make sense... but its all good

Thanks for any clarification.

hope that helps

Monictor

Reaction score
jig7c: Here's the jist of the actions of my trigger. I don't know how to copy paste it.

Unit - Create 1 Earth Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at ((Position of (Casting unit)) offset by 100.00 towards 0.00 degrees) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
Set Dummy1 = (Last created unit)
* Do this 8 times around the caster.

Wait .5 seconds

Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - Shockwave (Position of Dummy1)

How do you post your triggers in a block with all the icons and stuff?
Right now what it does is only shoots one shockwave towards dummy 1 (I have 8 dummies created, I can see them on the field).
I figure I need to make 8 more dummy units on the position of the caster, and have them cast shockwave to their respective target dummies.

I just read a post on memory leaks. Would it be important to remove the positions where all these dummy units are created? I already remove the units of course.

1. Also, how do you detect the buffs? If I could detect that a unit has vampire aura, I could make the trigger heal the unit a fixed amount or % of the damage couldn't I?

Heh, and another thing... is it possible to make a universal trigger to make damage text pop up whenever a unit takes damage?

TwoHeadedBoy

Reaction score

Do you have "Visible" checked in "options"?

Monictor

Reaction score
For each (Integer A) from 1 to 8, do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Create 1 Earth Dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to A1Bloodthirster
Custom script: set temp_dummy[(Integer A)] = (Last created unit)

So I have this custom script in one of my triggers. But, I keep getting an error that says "Expected a trigger name." I have premade triggers temp_dummy(1 through 8), but I still get this message.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.