General Amputee cat gets bionic feet

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
LONDON (AFP) – A cat which lost both back paws after a traumatic accident involving a combine harvester has regained a spring in its step after being fitted with prosthetic limbs.

In a groundbreaking surgery carried out by Noel Fitzpatrick, a Surrey-based veterinary surgeon, the custom-made implants "peg" the ankle to Oscar's foot and mimic the way in which deer antler bone grows through skin.

The prosthetic legs, called intraosseous transcutaneous amputation prosthetics (Itaps) were developed by a team from University College London, led by Professor Gordon Blunn.

"The real revolution with Oscar is [that] we have put a piece of metal and a flange into which skin grows into an extremely tight bone," Fitzpatrick said of the operation which took place last November.

Last edited:

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I must see videos of it walking around. MUST.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Why didn't they design it like a real paw, though, and bend it back inward towards the front of the body a little? I would think that it would make for a more study, natural base for the cat.
Yeah, I agree with you!!
Maybe one day they will make one. Well, I hope so

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Thy wish is my command sepiroth. ;)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vcy78rnDKiQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vcy78rnDKiQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Thanks for that! Why didn't they design it like a real paw, though, and bend it back inward towards the front of the body a little? I would think that it would make for a more study, natural base for the cat.

Why didn't they attach lasers to them? With razer sharp claws...

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Bah, okay that's not that big of a deal.
This cat lost its feet below the ankle (cat ankles are higher up).
No moving parts involved.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Hahaha

it would aid in defending ourselves against
sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads :)
Don't count on it. lol

Well, that's kinda cool! actually
[youtube]KFLYWlTMIW0[/youtube]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.