Boy who refused treatment on religious grounds dies

Rheias

New Helper (I got over 2000 posts)
Reaction score
SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- A few hours after a judge ruled that a 14-year-old Jehovah's Witness sick with leukemia had the right to refuse a blood transfusion that might have helped him, the boy died, a newspaper reported.

Dennis Lindberg died Wednesday night at Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center, his father, Dennis Lindberg Sr., told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

Hospital spokeswoman Teri Thomas said she could not confirm or deny anything about the case at the request of the boy's legal guardian, his aunt Dianna Mincin.

Read more

Chjoodge

Reaction score
"I don't believe Dennis' decision is the result of any coercion. He is mature and understands the consequences of his decision," the judge said during the hearing.

Well, this is his decision to make. Some people would rather choose death over being crippled, and if accepting someone else's blood is so bad for that boy, it's his choice.

The sad thing is that he even looks at the transfusion that way. But then again, it's his right to do so.

I'm sad for his death nonetheless.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
For JW's this is no trivial issue and most know they have a real chance of dying if they need a transfusion.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> this is his decision to make

He's 14, what are you talking about?

He's been killed by his parents with some weird "God wants it that way" "excuse".
And I'm sure they are even proud of their indoctrination success.

Chjoodge

Reaction score
> this is his decision to make
He's 14, what are you talking about?
Yes, that was my first reaction too and that's why I quoted the article at the beginning of my post. That was what the judge was deciding - whether the boy is making his own decision or not.

Also, the father, apparently not JW, tried to talk the boy out of it, but in the end, he agreed. That makes me think that it was really the boy's decision and he was firm in it.

Cases where parents let their kid die in this way while the kid has nothing to say are different. Those are pretty close to murders, but it's more difficult than just that.

It is pointless to talk about "decisions" if he was raised into that faith from birth.
True. But you and me have build our opinions mostly on what were we raised at, too, this is just how things work. It's sad that the boy didn't live long enough to maybe doubt his faith, that's for sure.

To make things clear, I don't like those parents for how they have raised the boy, at all. I don't generally like JWs, because of these cases and because of many others. I'm just saying it's they right to do what they want and if they like to kill themselves, I don't approve, I don't like to hear about it, but I wouldn't stop them.

Once again, I'm talking about people making the decision for themselves, not parents letting their kid die. That is against the law and should be treated so.

JuffoWup

Reaction score
And other victim of religious brainwashing.
See this is the reason I claim that kids should be taken away from their
piece of shit work parents, for at least until they are old and educated enough
to decide themselves what to believe in.

Demonwrath

Happy[ExtremelyOverCommercializ ed]HolidaysEveryon
Reaction score
1. Should his parents have let him do this?
No. Under no grounds should a parents allow their child to make decisions that will ultimately end their childs life. In the words of Theoden, "No parent should have to bury their child."

2. Was the boy right in choosing this?
Personally I believe that the kid did and did not make a bad decision.
On one hand, yes he should have taken the treatment and lived, even though he would have been hating himself for the rest of his life because he would believe he would now be going to hell when he's gone...
But on the other hand, in this day and age there are too few people who would stand with their beliefs when they face death. I give regards to the kid for he had courage to stick with what he believed, no matter what. If you were to stick a gun in my face and say, "Believe in God or die!" (I am atheist) I would gladly pull the trigger for you.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Why do people worry so much about the decision to not recieve a blood transfusion?

It's the person's own personal decision. No matter what age. Those where their beliefs, and just like you think you are 100% correct, they know the same.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>Why do people worry so much about the decision to not recieve a blood transfusion?

Because he didn't make the decision. Years of telling him what "god" wants and what "god" needs made his decision for him.

Demonwrath

Happy[ExtremelyOverCommercializ ed]HolidaysEveryon
Reaction score
>Because he didn't make the decision. Years of telling him what "god" wants and what "god" needs made his decision for him.

I disagree.

As much as I don't believe in God, I also do not believe in blaming beliefs in the deity for thigns such as this. As I said before, this boy grew up with his religion surrounding him, I grew until into Catholicism, and I have, thankfully, questioned, doubted, and left my religion. If I had been him and given the option of dying and going by what I have learnt through religion, or taking the transfusion and going against everything I had learned my whole life, well my survival instinct would have kicked in and I would have forsaken the beliefs I grew up in.

This boy was strong willed and knew what he was doing. I would not lay my lfie down for god, but in the same aspect I would lay it down for any I truely care about. If my best friend, or any relative required for me to die so they could live, I would gladly turn the blade on myself. For him, he just had God in the equation.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>If my best friend, or any relative required for me to die so they could live, I would gladly turn the blade on myself.

Unlike him though, you clearly stated that you don't believe in god nor religion.

If god was apointed as your savior and promised you eternal happiness if you made the right choice, and you truly believed that this was the truth, I'm sure you'd make the same choice.

Trust me, some people out there are closely enough tide to their religion to make a decision like that, though we will never really know if that was the case with this kid.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Brainwashing someone can have dramatic effects on their mental stability, and their will.

He might think he was being independent with his decision and that he formed the 'beliefs' he has on his own but the truth is, he didn't. Unless you grow up in an environment which allows free thinking and does not try to preach to you, you are going to 'believe' what your parents do.

For example, I had a friend at school who was strongly against gays. I was debating it with him and it was clear he had no idea why he was. He couldn't back anything he said with a logical reason that they are lesser than people who love the opposite sex. Yet he was fighting that they were with a passion I didn't have for it.

After he was calm I asked what his mom and dad thought about it and he gave the exact same explanation he was using against me. He didn't know he was brainwashed, but he was.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Heard Houston got hit pretty bad by storms last night. Hope all is well with TH.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Power back on finally - all is good here no damage
    +2
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday!
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.