Sci/Tech Breakthrough brings 'Star Trek' teleport a step closer

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Scientists have set a new record in sending information through thin air using the revolutionary technology of quantum teleportation - although Mr Spock may have to wait a little longer for a Scotty to beam him up with it.

A team of physicists has teleported data over a distance of 89 miles from the Canary Island of La Palma to the neighbouring island of Tenerife, which is 10 times further than the previous attempt at teleportation through free space.

The scientists did it by exploiting the "spooky" and virtually unfathomable field of quantum entanglement - when the state of matter rather than matter itself is sent from one place to another. Tiny packets or particles of light, photons, were used to teleport information between telescopes on the two islands. The photons did it by quantum entanglement and scientists hope it will form the basis of a way of sending encrypted data.

The teleporters used in Star Trek are said to have been based on the idea of quantum entanglement and the latest study demonstrates that elements of the phenomenon could have a practical use in the real world.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
In this one movie the 1st teleport turned the thing inside out and then the thing blew up rofl.
I remember reading how they had teleported data for like 1 inch.
Were getting to be a smart race o_O

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
In this one movie the 1st teleport turned the thing inside out and then the thing blew up rofl.

Tim Allen movie? He was an actor and gets "abducted" by an alien race who sees the transmition of the TV show where he plays a "Star Trek"-like captain? Tries to be a real captain, almost gets everyone killed?

Funny stuff.

Prometheus

Reaction score
Ya!
That movie.
I'twas good. ^^
Soon were gona port a pig and its gona explode o_O

johnnyfire

Reaction score
Tim Allen movie? He was an actor and gets "abducted" by an alien race who sees the transmition of the TV show where he plays a "Star Trek"-like captain? Tries to be a real captain, almost gets everyone killed?

it was Galaxy Quest... get it... Star Trek - Galaxy Quest... lol i thought that was funny

johnnyfire

Reaction score
Star and Galaxy... both reference celestial objects

Quest and Trek... they are pretty much synonyms

damn... its not funny if i have to explain it

Prometheus

Reaction score
Maybe I like to act stupid?
Well, maybe not.... /cry "Everyone hates meeee!"
XD

DuckieKing

Elitist Through and Through
Reaction score
Star and Galaxy... both reference celestial objects

Quest and Trek... they are pretty much synonyms

damn... its not funny if i have to explain it
Stars are inside galaxies. A galaxy is a conglomeration of celestial objects. A trek is a hike, and a quest is a search for something specific. Nova Journey? It's not funny either way.

I happen to remember that at least one person died in a star trek teleporter. I'm glad I'll have died long before they begin teleporting people.

I can already see the big controversy over it... a Christian committee will be founded to damn the teleporters claiming anyone using them no longer has a soul and is for all spiritual purposes dead. Beam me up, God! Wait, no =(

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This is just beginning guys. I reported about this months ago and this is just getting farther and farther. There are some "scary" physics behind this that we have not even touched on yet. Stay tuned .... I promise I will not coddle you guys.

M

Marduke

Nerds around the globe are creaming their pants at this news.

It does sound pretty interesting, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.