Building my first computer - What should I look for?

Haxxors

Reaction score
Hey there, I've been using the same rig for about 7 years now and I must say, for its age it has performed amazing. It has carried me through Age of Empires to Rise of Nations to WoW to Warcraft 3 and everything.

However, it is obviously outdated (I have to play warcraft 3 on lowest settings, and even then my FPS in wow is 10)

I'm tired of missing out on things because my computer is just simply bad for everything now.

My hope is to build a computer that is strong enough to run WoW at a nice FPS, but also be able to play Starcraft 2 and possibly Diablo 3 at a decent performance, and be a decent machine for several years to come, or at least one that will upgrade easily. I hope to spend no more than $800 (But I would prefer the price be around 600-700).

Any advice or specific parts I should get or anything would be greatly appreciated.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a build to consider:

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

ASUS M4A78 Plus AM3/AM2+/AM2

AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW DVD Burner

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Grand Total: $754.87

Advantages:

You get the benefit of some excellent graphics with this build as well as a Quad-Core processor. This processor and video card will definitely be able to play Starcraft II, Diablo III, and new games for a while to come, and at settings above the bottom. SCII you will probably be able to play on very high settings. You also have the option of upgrading and getting another of those video cards to run in CrossFire* in the future to keep up with more intense graphics. There is also plenty of room to double (or more) your RAM as well, meaning that this build has definite expandability.

Disadvantages:

The HDD is a bit small for today's world, though you have the option to throw in an extra $20 or so to get a 500GB HDD. I know this comes close to your max budget, however. Also, the PSU is a bit small for video card expansion (noted below). It will do what you need right now, but to upgrade, you will probably need a new one.

Other Thoughts:

This build includes Vista as an OS, so you really are lacking nothing at all here. Also, if you are looking to save some money, you can switch out that X4 processor for this one, which is a very respectable X2.

Hope this helps. :)

*This will probably require a new PSU in order to accomplish.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
You guys and your AMD liking. :rolleyes:
I'd recommend going for Intel, as it's more directed towards home use and gaming, whereas AMD works better for server use.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I'd recommend going for Intel, as it's more directed towards home use and gaming, whereas AMD works better for server use.

mine's an intel.. and intels are much better at anything media/gaming related

This build includes Vista as an OS, so you really are lacking nothing at all here.

just download the windows 7 trial (it works 100%, only for 1 year) for now and then buy it once it comes out.. no good reason to buy it now, the upgrade wont work with a computer u built yourself

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
> I'd recommend going for Intel

I like Intel better as well, but AMD does very well considering the price - similar Intel CPUs are generally more expensive.

> AMD works better for server use.

Both companies have a line of CPUs directed specifically at servers.... (Xeon and Opteron)

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score

Bull crap. Both processors are perfectly good for anything.

It just depends on the core speeds and number of cores. (Not going into Cache)

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score

just download the windows 7 trial (it works 100%, only for 1 year) for now and then buy it once it comes out.. no good reason to buy it now, the upgrade wont work with a computer u built yourself

Bull crap. Both processors are perfectly good for anything.

It just depends on the core speeds and number of cores. (Not going into Cache)
Hopefully we can set the record straight here.

Both AMD and Intel have a good lineup of CPUs. In terms of performance pecking order, it generally goes like this: Athlon < Phenom I < Penryn Core 2 < Phenom II < Core i7.

That said, AMD does have a few places in the market where it provides strong competition to Intel:
- Low-cost gaming: the Phenom II's are generally faster than Core 2's and cheaper as well.
- VM virtualization: AMD 45nm opterons have a large number (128) of 2MB translation lookaside buffer entries which (in addition to NPT) give them favorable performance in enterprise virtualization. (Note that Nehalem xeons have EPT and 2MB TLB entries as well, but not inexpensively enough to landslide the market)

Other than that, Intel pretty much has the lead at this moment in time.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
and really more important then # of cores and speed is how efficient they are and how much they do each cycle, look at some comparisons and you see that intel has a far lead in games and media

Prometheus

Reaction score
Those don't compare the 955 or 945.

955 is very, very good.

They may get better results, but look at the price : performance ratio.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
then look here, the i7 920 is still better then the phenom 955, and for only $35 more from newegg, i would still highly recommend it over the amd

Prometheus

Reaction score
If you're going to Overclock, the 955 gets better speeds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.