Created units selectable?

Elf Alpha

Reaction score
Forgive the obvious new-ness of this question, but I've been reading tutorials and searching these fora but nothing tells me exactly what I need to make this trigger work correctly.

Rather than bore you with my bad coding (because I can't even remember how many variations and combinations I've tried) I'll just say what I want to happen.

When I make maps, I always like to put in little extra goodies. In this one in particular, there is a Forest Troll hut in a creep camp. If a player decides to destroy it, what I would like to happen is for one Troll headhunter (presumably he was asleep inside or what have you) to pop out/be created/whatever, say, "Okay, I guess I work for you now," and become a unit that is selectable and controllable by the player in question, regardless of the race they are playing (i.e. this troll hut destroyed by Night Elves would now have a newly-acquired very loyal Troll on their team) but otherwise an ordinary Troll spear-thrower, just like one a player using the Orcs would create. Kind of like when you first acquire them in the tutorials, or like when you buy an otherwise-untrainable unit from a mercenary camp. Is this description clear enough?

I know I'm missing something completely essential because I can get as far as a Troll popping up and delivering the message, but it remains unselectable no matter what I try...

Any help would be mucho appreciado...

P.S. SO glad I stumbled on this site - it has helped me stumble less often when creating maps (which is almost as much fun for me as playing the game itself)

ZulzZ

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit - (Yourunitvariable) Dies
Trigger:
  • Actions
    • Unit - Create 1 Troll Headhunter for (Owner of (Killing unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
    • Floating Text - Create floating text the reads Okay, i Guess i work for you know. above (Last created unit) with Z offset 0.00, unsing font size 10.00, color (100%, 100%, 100%), and 0.00% transparency
    • Unit - Change ownership of (Last created unit) to (Owner of (Killing unit)) and Change color

if you need help with it then just PM me :)
/ZulzZ

Elf Alpha

Reaction score
Huzzah! Many thanks, Zulzz, I just added in a "Wait 3 seconds / Floating Text-Destroy last created Floating text" and it works PERFECTLY! I knew it had to be much simpler than all the nonsense I was trying. : )

Don

Rise with the Fallens!
Reaction score
And change your rep points from negative to positive! ;)

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit - (Yourunitvariable) Dies
    • Actions
    • Unit - Create 1 Troll Headhunter for (Owner of (Killing unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
    • Floating Text - Create floating text the reads Okay, i Guess i work for you know. above (Last created unit) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100%, 100%, 100%), and 0.00% transparency
    • Unit - Change ownership of (Last created unit) to (Owner of (Killing unit)) and Change color

if you need help with it then just PM me :)
/ZulzZ

Why exactly would you change its ownership, since you just create it for the right owner already?

And that way you would have to make a trigger for every building like that he has

Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit - A Unit Dies
    • Actions
    • If (Unit Type of Triggering Unit Equal to Troll Hut and Owner of Triggering Unit equal to Neutral Passive) Then
    • Floating Text - Create floating text the reads Okay, i Guess i work for you know. above (Last created unit) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100%, 100%, 100%), and 0.00% transparency
    • Else
    • If (Unit Type of Triggering Unit Equal to (More unit types and conditions here, and so on)

ZulzZ

Reaction score
Don, lals, someone gave me a -rep for a long time ago because i did one freaking double post, and it wasn't even a bump.

bOb666777

Oh lol, didn't realise what i exactly were doing, i was just making exactly as he told it should be :)

i don't see the reason to make it so complicated? in mt trigger you just make the unit a variable and then you actually wouldn't even have to have any conditions and the actions should make it exactly as he wants :).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.