Creating an AOE ability

Blazer-X

Reaction score
Hey, new here.
I've recently started fiddling around with SC2's data editor to try creating some modded units. I want to add back the Plasma Torpedoes development ability (AOE ground splash with many lasers) to the battlecruiser. I've tried modding several other abilities together and nothing really seem to work.

I don't know how to attach an AOE cursor to an ability so I can't seem to make it from scratch. I've tried modding using Odin's Barrage ability but I've run into animation issue (which I haven't figured out how to fix). Then I've tried using psionic storm, but I can get it to target only ground units (it hits both air and ground, but only damages ground). Also, with the psionic storm, I can't get the ability to fire more than one laser.

So my questions are:
1) How do I attach an AOE cursor to an ability?
2) How do I have an ability shoot multiple lasers at a specified area that my AOE cursor goes over?
3) How do I control how my ability targets?

Thank you

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
1) The Effect - Cursor property on the ability can be used for this purpose. Take a look at the tooltip on this property to learn how to use it.

3) You need to set your ability to the type Effect - Target to allow you to select a target for your ability to work on. I think you then need to leave the Ability - Target Filters property blank to allow you to target a point (these apply a restriction on what units you can target). Use the search area effect that you will need to create for the cursor to specify which units will be affected by your ability.

Blazer-X

Reaction score
Wow, I just realized there was an advance section to the whole editor. Either its off by default or I turned it off by accident.

Time for me to learn more about the editor.

While I'm at it, I have 2 more questions:
1) How do you make an ability auto-cast in such a way that the unit uses it every time the cool-down is over as long as there are units it could target? For example, I want the BC to fire a burst of plasma torpedo whenever the bar recharges and there are ground targets nearby.

2) How do you make an ability auto-cast as the unit gets damaged? I want to make the BC summon defensive matrix on itself whenever it gets hit and there is no cooldown.

Thank you.

Rainther

I guess I should write something of value here...
Reaction score
There are some validators etc. for Auto Cast in the Ability section for each Ability.

Maybe these could help you out?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.