Critical Error trying to open map

E

Elf-Beast

OMG! So my computer went into stand by while my map was open. After I unstandby'd my comp, i clicked on my map, but it said Application Error and it closed the program. I was slightly annoyed. "No biggy," I thought "I just saved it". I was wrong. When I reopened the editor and clicked on my map it began to load. Then when it got to the units bar, it stopped half-way. I got a Critical Error. It said the file units/one-headedogre was corrupted, and it closed the editor down. Now whenever I try to reopen the map, I get the same Critical Error and it closes the editor. Is there anyway to extract all my trigger/unit/doodad/campaign/everything! data? I'm freak'n out cause my backup file doesn't have important triggers/unit data i just made. :( :( :(

Heko

Reaction score
oh boy man i think theres no way back to that, thats why you should save once ever 10 mins or so srry.... :(

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
Helpful Hint: If you tested your map recently, it could be in your Warcraft II directory under Maps/TestMap.

If only 1 set of data is damaged you can extract the rest of it using a .mpq editor. Look on www.wc3sear.ch for PowerMPQ.

E

Elf-Beast

ARGH! false hopes . . . the map in the Maps/Test folder has the same corruption. My life is over!! *cries

E

Elf-Beast

I found out more info . . . So this error occurs on any of my maps which have the One-Headed ogre on them. This means I cannot open my back up files either. If I open a blank map, and try to place on the map The One-Headed Ogre (of death) it will close the editor with another critical error. Did the file for this ogre somehow get deleted? Is there a place where these files mysteriously vanish? Have i entered the Twilight Zone? :confused:

Luth

Lex Luthor!
Reaction score
... maybe a silly idea, but how about reinstalling WC3 and TFT? If you somehow damaged your base files, then this would restore them to a working version.

E

Elf-Beast

I was actually just considering that. I'm gonna backup my maps, then reinstall. Sucks that I have to do it on Christmas Eve/Day. But what causes this? How can i prevent it?

Jazradel

Reaction score
Nothing really. Proper maintenance and regular virus scanning are the only things you can do.

S

somatic

Try using WinMPQ, use it, trust me, thats the tool you use to remove buggy stuff of ur map after saving it, jus install it, and then open your map with it, it works juz like the import manager, so i guess theres no need to further the explaination. GLHF Happy X-Mas!!!

Jim_skarrj

Reaction score
you could also try using WE enhancer... it has an option to export all options... even landscape..

try that then import into a new level with after re-installing.

here is a pic of what it can do..

simply use the edit map function... open your map and then goto the export tab.

hope this helps.

Attachments

• we enhancer.JPG
    we enhancer.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 111
E

Elf-Beast

Since the error says the file for the oneheaded ogre is corrupted, could I just copy my maps to another folder, then reinstall the game? Is the file that's corrupted in the maps, and could I fix it by simply reinstalling the game? *Ya, I think if reinstalling doesn't work, I'll download the optimizer.

Jazradel

Reaction score
If reinstalling doesn't work than the Optimizer isn't going to work. It reads off the game files too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.