Critique This If You Have A Second?

Exticede

Reaction score
This is a rough draft of a map I've been working on. I'm not sure which category the gameplay might go under. The adjective is to obviously eliminate every other player. Currently only Player 1 (red) and Player 2 (Blue) are available. Resources are abtained by owning fortresses, and using any single unit to occupy a small white square in each base.(Very unoriginal trigger mech.) In this map, I wanted to bring back a little bit of sea combat. I've placed Sea Vessel Merchants across the map, but those will be replaced by actual buildings from each race's tech tree. (I was wanting to bring back the old WCII style by doing this) One race has been completely revamped, and others are soon to follow. I wanted to create a race from a group of creeps that no one's thought of before, (to my knowledge) so I decided to start with the race of Gnolls. Redone Undead, Human, and High Elf are soon to follow, possibly with others.I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions anyone might have. This is my first attempt at an actual published WCIII map from scratch.

Enjoy the critique and don't be too harsh. :D

-Exticede

Attachments

• Gnoll.w3x
    111.2 KB · Views: 225

chobibo

Level 1 Crypt Lord
Reaction score
User Interface
- add hotkeys to buildings, It sucks when you always need to
click the icon of the bulding you wanna build.
- I think some ability icons aren't aligned properly. (Gnoll Hero)

Gameplay
- You should have a better way of earning an income, instead
of just giving the player gold periodically. How do they
get gold and lumber without mining or lumber harvesting?
I'm not implying you do the melee type resourcing system,
what I'm suggesting is that its better to have tangible
resources. If that's the case then we could cripple a
future powerhouse by harrassing his resourcing operations
early in the game.

Well good luck dude, I'll post more if I have the time.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
2nd everything that chobibo said
-kobolds at mid-top cant be reached
-id change unit health from 100 to differ based on what each unit should do
-also add upgrades for units other than the melee ones... maybe higher mana regen for the casters? a new ability? be creative :)
-id set it so that there is a gold income building that costs lumber and a lumber income building that costs gold so there is a goal as far as costs
-i like the fortress idea but id change the outlandings on each fortress to grass so that towers can be built on them
-damage is VERY high for hit point cap (my units could 2 shot themselves which makes for VERY short battles... especially with pig summons doing aoe dmg at rank 3)
-add a reason to have high resources... within 5 mins i got to 100 food and then after that resources meant nothing
-maybe increase the cost of your reveal every time its used? 50 --> 200 --> 800 --> 3200 maybe like that? so the cost drastically increases and maybe make it get stronger each rank? like 50g is a small circle and at the rank after 3200 almost the entire map?
-delete the npcs or make them worth killing? maybe the longer u take the stronger they get? start with lvl 1s then every minute increase the level creep there?
-and this type of wc3 was made but not as a map, it was a mod but i cant remember the name, replaced units in all normal wc3 maps with others (races were - demon, high elf, and lightning lizard) however, to play it online u had to have ur own server or through lan and both players had to have and be running the mod at the same time : (
-i like your ideas so far but u got a long way to go : )
-id make stronger units that are more powerfull
-id change hero max level to something higher

death_knight

Dark is the heart of a corrupted man.
Reaction score
I've pretty much just started out and I've already found a couple of problem:

• There are a ciuple of tool tip errors when you go into the worker's build menu
  • On that note, the build menu is all over the place.
  • I agreed with chobibo when I say the abilities menu is all over the place as well.
  • When I started building stuff, I didn't feel like I was building Gnoll structures, I felt you were building Orc buildings with Human units, which is exactly what you're doing.
  • You shouldn't start off with any military units. The hero I can forgive you for, but you shouldn't be giving the player to units straight up and you really should make the player train the hero in an alter.
  • Try to find more appropriate Building models. Search here, the WCIII Campaigns website, and the hive workshop. If you can't find something there, I'm sure someone in this community will be willing to make some gnoll build models for you.
  • Change the worker unit. Make the worker model the same as the basic gnoll unit ans you'll still have 5 models to use for you're hero and combat units. If you need more, I'm sure you can either find more or request someone make you one/some.
  • Be creative with you're abilities and Icons. By this I mean import custom icons and create your own abilities and upgrades otherwise people are going to get bored with them quickly because undoubtedly they've used them a lot in mellee games.
  • With the "Revamping", be very sure that those races are on par with the Gnolls. You don't want the Gnools only having half as many buildings and units as those races. This is because it will be unbalanced.

EDIT: I don't mean to be an arse, but I've found a bit more:
  • The generic name for your hero (i.e. Hero Type, like Paladin, Far Seeer, etc.) should be changed for two reasons: 1 - It doesn't seem quite right that a hero is a God; and 2 - "God of Gnolls", to me, doesn't seem grammatically correct.
  • I loaded my hero into the ship, he took up 2 spaces (which shouldn't happen with a hero).
    A hero should only take up one space in any transport.
  • The two military units that aren't your hero should either be made stronger in terms of defense and health, or the hero should be made weaker in terms of attack, because I was able to kill the units very quickly.
  • The hero should not have 11 armour at level 1. It's ridiculously high.
  • The transport boats feel like they're going too slowly. The movement speed should be increased.
  • The ships that you hire should be human ships rather than Night Elf ships. I say this on the basis that, at least in the campaigns, Gnolls are associated with maps where the player plays as Humans in Lordaeron. On to of that, it doesn't feel quite right having Gnolls running around in Night Elf ships.
  • I found that if you were in force one, the terrain on top of the well at the entrance to your little "Fort" is terrain which buildings cannot be built on. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but i think you should make it so you can build your towers there.
  • Change the trees that you've used, especially the ones near where Force 1 starts, because those trees do not go with the terrain.
  • Given that it's not fisnished, I'd like to make the suggestion that you should make the terrain interesting. By this I mean have a mix of different terrain surfaces and integrate them. By "integrate them" I mean don't have Dark Grass next to dirt, but instead have Dirt go to Short Grass which then goes to Dark Grass.
  • There isn't enough large areas of water (like lakes) where there can be good sea combat. If you look at a couple of the Night Elf missions in TFT where you're in the Sunken Ruins, there's good amounts of space and well laid out areas where you can have good sea combat.
  • I'm confused as to why you would have a group of creeps (the Kobalds) which are unreachable. If they were guarding something valuable like a gold mine or a unique item shop, then that would make sense, but it's apparent that they're guarding nothing.
  • The creeps are not well placed. By this I mean that they are facing random angles in relation to each other (which they shouldn't); in positions in relation to each other that don't make sense (like the higher level unit/spell caster of the group appears to be in front); and some of the creep groups seem to be mismatched (like you have have Apprentice Wizards with Bandits and a Mud Golem with a Dark Wizard).
  • Be sure to add all your win/lose triggers as well as make sure they have events so that a player can actually win or lose the game. Maybe you could condense all the win/lose triggers into something like the following:
    Code:
    Win Lose Trigger
        Events
            Unit - A unit Dies
        Conditions
        Actions
            -------- Losing --------
            If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                If - Conditions
                    (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to God of Gnolls
                Then - Actions
                    Game - Defeat (Owner of (Triggering unit)) with the message: Your hero has died ...
                    Set PlayerDefeated[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = True
                Else - Actions
            -------- Player 1 Win --------
                If - Conditions
                    PlayerDefeated[2] Equal to True
                    PlayerDefeated[3] Equal to True
                Then - Actions
                    Game - Victory Player 1 (Red) (Show dialogs, Show scores)
                Else - Actions
            -------- Player 2 Win --------
                If - Conditions
                    PlayerDefeated[1] Equal to True
                    PlayerDefeated[3] Equal to True
                Then - Actions
                    Game - Victory Player 2 (Blue) (Show dialogs, Show scores)
                Else - Actions
            -------- Player 1 Win --------
                If - Conditions
                    PlayerDefeated[1] Equal to True
                    PlayerDefeated[2] Equal to True
                Then - Actions
                    Game - Victory Player 3 (Teal) (Show dialogs, Show scores)
                Else - Actions

Note: "PlayerDefeated" is a Boolean Array variable where the index is simply the player number.

• I noticed that you used the following text in a defeat message in you're Player 1 Lose trigger: "The leader of your Pack has fallen. Get the fuck out." I can almost guarantee that if you say that to someone on your map, they will not only get out, but they'll stay out. They'll never play your map again, so be careful what you say. I'd also like you to note that the defeat message I used in the trigger above says "Your hero has died and thus you have lost the game. Better luck next time!", which won't offend anyone.
  • The condition that you used for your win/lose triggers were not the right ones to use. Instead of "(Owner of God of Gnolls 0013 <gen>) Equal to Player 3 (Teal)" and "(Life of God of Gnolls 0013 <gen>) Less than or equal to 1.00", you should probably use the conditions above or something similar.
  • Gold and lumber should not be earned through triggers unless it's something along the lines of giving the player an amount of gold proportional to the number of markets (as in buildings called markets) they have, or giving the player an amount of lumber proportional to the number lumber mills. But even then, it still shouldn't be the primary source of resources for the player.
  • The primary source of resources should be just like any other mellee style map, which is, to say, gold mines and trees.

Hopefully that's all the flaws I'll find. I hope you work on what I've said, and hopefully you'll come out with a really good map sometime in the near future.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How are you all? :D
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Howdy
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Still lurking
    +3
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am great and it is fantastic to see you my friend!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you are new to the site please check out the Recipe and Food Forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/recipes-and-food.220/
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    How come you're so into recipes lately? Never saw this much interest in this topic in the old days of TH.net
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    Hmm, how do I change my signature?
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Signatures can be edit in your account profile. As for the old stuffs, I'm thinking it's because Blizzard is now under Microsoft, and because of Microsoft Xbox going the way it is, it's dreadful.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am not big on the recipes I am just promoting them - I use the site as a practice place promoting stuff
    +2
  • Monovertex Monovertex:
    @tom_mai78101 I must be blind. If I go on my profile I don't see any area to edit the signature; If I go to account details (settings) I don't see any signature area either.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    You can get there if you click the bell icon (alerts) and choose preferences from the bottom, signature will be in the menu on the left there https://www.thehelper.net/account/preferences
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think I need to split the Sci/Tech news forum into 2 one for Science and one for Tech but I am hating all the moving of posts I would have to do
  • The Helper The Helper:
    What is up Old Mountain Shadow?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Crazy how much 3d printing has come in the last few years. Sad that it's not as easily modifiable though
  • Varine Varine:
    I bought an Ender 3 during the pandemic and tinkered with it all the time. Just bought a Sovol, not as easy. I'm trying to make it use a different nozzle because I have a fuck ton of Volcanos, and they use what is basically a modified volcano that is just a smidge longer, and almost every part on this thing needs to be redone to make it work
  • Varine Varine:
    Luckily I have a 3d printer for that, I guess. But it's ridiculous. The regular volcanos are 21mm, these Sovol versions are about 23.5mm
  • Varine Varine:
    So, 2.5mm longer. But the thing that measures the bed is about 1.5mm above the nozzle, so if I swap it with a volcano then I'm 1mm behind it. So cool, new bracket to swap that, but THEN the fan shroud to direct air at the part is ALSO going to be .5mm to low, and so I need to redo that, but by doing that it is a little bit off where it should be blowing and it's throwing it at the heating block instead of the part, and fuck man
  • Varine Varine:
    I didn't realize they designed this entire thing to NOT be modded. I would have just got a fucking Bambu if I knew that, the whole point was I could fuck with this. And no one else makes shit for Sovol so I have to go through them, and they have... interesting pricing models. So I have a new extruder altogether that I'm taking apart and going to just design a whole new one to use my nozzles. Dumb design.
  • Varine Varine:
    Can't just buy a new heatblock, you need to get a whole hotend - so block, heater cartridge, thermistor, heatbreak, and nozzle. And they put this fucking paste in there so I can't take the thermistor or cartridge out with any ease, that's 30 dollars. Or you can get the whole extrudor with the direct driver AND that heatblock for like 50, but you still can't get any of it to come apart
  • Varine Varine:
    Partsbuilt has individual parts I found but they're expensive. I think I can get bits swapped around and make this work with generic shit though

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.